Not having certain info

  • Ben Botwin
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 31, 2012
      In the program it says that you don't put certain information into the
      lists of spells and races because you don't want to make pcgen a way not to
      buy the books but the information in the books is free to know and use. In
      face paizo and the pathfinder community set up the d20pfsrd because it was
      illegal for paizo to charge for the pathfinder game. So you can infact put
      the information into the generator. Not saying you have to, just a
      suggestion.

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 31, 2012
        Hi Ben,

        Base upon this post, I believe you are mis-informed on the intents and purpose of PCGen and that of
        our Community.

        PCGen was created back when Wizards of the Coast put out D&D 3rd Edition. Our goal is to work with
        the publishers. In doing so, we include information to make a character sheet beneficial to the end
        user but not put the publisher out by removing the need to own the book. Fast Forward to the present
        day.

        Paizo has come out and created Pathfinder, a spin off using the Open Game License put out by Wizards
        of the Coast. Certain information needs to be 'Open' in order for other publishers to create
        supplements to support the system. I'm not going to argue legal vs. illegal, but I'd be careful in
        using such terms, as I think you are very much incorrect on what Paizo can and cannot do. I'd point
        out they do indeed charge for their products (including the Core Rule Book) and the OGL doesn't make
        it 'illegal' to do so.

        Working with Paizo and their Pathfinder team, we've been given Complete permission from Paizo to use
        the Full Information for the Pathfinder line of products. Saying we can put something in the PCGen
        program is all well and good, but a little research would have shown we do indeed include all the
        relevant information pertaining to the Pathfinder books put out by Paizo. Another fact we're proud
        of, you as an end user can update and change the information in those books to suit your taste, or
        even create your own homebrew stuff.

        Now, here is a very important distinction. PCGen is committed to working WITH publishers. That is
        why we honor the requests of our publishers in what we INCLUDE and do NOT include in our program -
        We have a permission process where our Publisher Liaisons speak with a representative of the
        publisher and hash out what they do and do not wish to have us include. Legally, from the OGL, we
        can pretty much include everything from a publisher, except use the book name and anything
        designated as closed content. But we aren't going for legal, we are going for mutual benefit and
        making the guys that put the time and effort in their product happy with us.

        We have an excellent reputation with our publishers, several of whom give us early access to release
        data sets when they release their books. We are allowed to include closed content from our
        publishers. We like our reputation and plan to keep it.

        Again, if you think something is actually missing, do bring it to our attention. If it's something
        we won't include (for an above reason) then one of us would be more than happy to explain how to
        include it in your personal copy.

        I do hope this was helpful to you Ben.

        Cheers,

        On 7/31/2012 5:59 AM, Ben Botwin wrote:
        > In the program it says that you don't put certain information into the
        > lists of spells and races because you don't want to make pcgen a way not to
        > buy the books but the information in the books is free to know and use. In
        > face paizo and the pathfinder community set up the d20pfsrd because it was
        > illegal for paizo to charge for the pathfinder game. So you can infact put
        > the information into the generator. Not saying you have to, just a
        > suggestion.

      • Ben Botwin
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 31, 2012
          Oh. okay thanks for clearing that up.