Re: [pcgen] Re: batch processing and 5.17.16

  • Susan Dittmar
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 25, 2012
      Quoting James Dempsey (jdempsey@...):
      > Currently sources are always loaded with characters, but I will sort
      > that out soon. OTOH the new system is quite good at only loading the
      > sources once.

      Well, to me it looked as if it threw all the deprecation warnings again and
      again. Which makes debugging a pain in the posterior...

      But perhaps there were another way of solving this problem if I managed to
      find out how the converter was supposed to work. Seems I am not looking in
      the right places, as I cannot find any hint on how to call that thing.
      Having it work its magic on the RSRD files might make debugging my own
      stuff much much easier... Any hint where to find documentation on the
      converter? I can neither find it in PCGen's menu nor in GMGen's, nor did I
      find anything browsing PCGen's documentation.

      > > Now I'm a step farther. At least it *starts* loading
      > > soures, but stops after only loading small part of them: It pulls in RSRD,
      > > and there it stops during load of rsrd_races_g_h.lst. If the same campaign
      > > is chosen interactively, no problems occur. Looks like I need to raise a
      > > JIRA...
      >
      > If you could include a copy of your pcgen.log for the failed batch run
      > it would be very helpful please. As soon as you raise the jira I can see
      > what is going wrong.

      Computers are funny... yesterday night I had the same behaviour several
      times, and it was refusing to continue loading at the same point again and
      again. Today I tried to re-create that problem -- and it's gone... Should I
      be glad or annoyed? ;-)

      Thanks for your patience with me,

      Susan
    • James Dempsey
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 25, 2012
        Hi Susan,

        On 25/07/2012 6:56 PM Susan Dittmar wrote
        > Quoting James Dempsey (jdempsey@...):
        >> Currently sources are always loaded with characters, but I will sort
        >> that out soon. OTOH the new system is quite good at only loading the
        >> sources once.
        > Well, to me it looked as if it threw all the deprecation warnings again and
        > again. Which makes debugging a pain in the posterior...

        Yes that would do. You can turn off the deprecation messages in
        preferences - that should help in isolating the real issues. Also they
        will be recorded in the pcgen.log so you can do a load and then look
        through the log with standard tools (grep, sort etc) to locate any
        messages of interest.

        > But perhaps there were another way of solving this problem if I managed to
        > find out how the converter was supposed to work. Seems I am not looking in
        > the right places, as I cannot find any hint on how to call that thing.
        > Having it work its magic on the RSRD files might make debugging my own
        > stuff much much easier... Any hint where to find documentation on the
        > converter? I can neither find it in PCGen's menu nor in GMGen's, nor did I
        > find anything browsing PCGen's documentation.

        Umm, the LST converter - that'd be the one in pieces on my office floor
        right? Yeah its not working with the new data load system just yet, but
        I hope to have it running in the next day or two. When it is working
        there is a separate batch-convert.jar that you can run to do the
        conversion. See http://jira.pcgen.org/browse/CODE-1410 for the issue I
        am fixing.

        >>> Now I'm a step farther. At least it *starts* loading
        >>> soures, but stops after only loading small part of them: It pulls in RSRD,
        >>> and there it stops during load of rsrd_races_g_h.lst. If the same campaign
        >>> is chosen interactively, no problems occur. Looks like I need to raise a
        >>> JIRA...
        >> If you could include a copy of your pcgen.log for the failed batch run
        >> it would be very helpful please. As soon as you raise the jira I can see
        >> what is going wrong.
        > Computers are funny... yesterday night I had the same behaviour several
        > times, and it was refusing to continue loading at the same point again and
        > again. Today I tried to re-create that problem -- and it's gone... Should I
        > be glad or annoyed? ;-)
        Well, it is good for you, but a shame for me :) However I am glad it is
        working for you now.

        > Thanks for your patience with me,
        Not a problem, thanks for trying out the new command line. I'm only able
        to try it out on windows, so it is good to be able to fix any linux
        issues too.

        Cheers,
        James.
      • James Dempsey
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 25, 2012
          Hi Eric,

          On 25/07/2012 10:52 AM Eric C Smith wrote
          > James,
          >
          > Have N and G been added to the code base yet?

          N won't be in for the 6.0 release, but G should be in soon.

          Cheers,
          James.
        • FerretDave
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 25, 2012
            Greetings,

            Good point, batch converter should perhaps take a path to the pcc rather than the campaign tag, worth a JIRA on that.

            Alternatively or even additionally, as the datasets are defined in the .pcg itself, worth JIRA'ing a request to make the batch converter determine the sources itself and autoload so you don't *have* to specify them...

            Cheers
            Dave