Re: [pcgen] Re: Adventurer's Kit

  • Susan Dittmar
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 12 1:16 AM
      Dear Rick,

      Quoting Rick (redavis1701@...):
      > I am looking to add an Adventurer's Kit to my inventory and then equip
      > the items where they need to go. (Mostly into the backpack)

      I yesterday sent an appropriate answer to the list file Yahoo group (see
      footer of this mail). Here it is again. By LOCATION you can decide where
      the items should be equiped. I'm not sure if it is required, or if there is
      a way of adding items without equipping them. I would have to look up this
      tag in PCGen's documentation. As it's you who needs the info, I leave this
      work to you ;-)

      For follow-ups, please use the correct group and the thread already started
      there.

      Susan

      Quoting myself:
      > Dear William,
      >
      > Quoting William (willmercier@...):
      > > I would like to create a couple of Kits. One would be to add a free Feat
      > > as an example for whatever reason, the other would be say a set group of
      > > equipment that everyone could start with or use (so for example i want to
      > > create a kit of weapons that different encounters would use and load them
      > > all instead of adding one to each character.) I have loaded the Rsrd
      > > campaign set - Core Books 1-3 however when I go to add kit all i see are
      > > were-**** and then varirous treasure tables. How do I preceed?
      >
      > Creating kits is not difficult, though you need to get started on your own
      > data set for that. I'm sure Andrew (or someone else) has the right pointer
      > for the start.
      >
      > He already wrote up the basics for the free feat kit. For equipment, I have
      > an example Adventurer's Kit for you. Put it in your private kit file and make
      > sure it is loaded with the sources (see above).
      >
      > STARTPACK:Adventurer's Pack <tab> EQUIPBUY:100 <tab> VISIBLE:YES APPLY:INSTANT
      > GEAR:Backpack <tab> SIZE:PC <tab> LOCATION:Not Carried
      > GEAR:Sack <tab> SIZE:PC <tab> LOCATION:Not Carried
      > GEAR:Pouch (Belt) <tab> SIZE:PC <tab> LOCATION:Carried
      > GEAR:Bedroll <tab> SIZE:PC <tab> LOCATION:Backpack
      > GEAR:Flint and Steel <tab> SIZE:PC <tab> LOCATION:Backpack
      > GEAR:Waterskin (Filled) <tab> SIZE:PC <tab> LOCATION:Backpack
      > GEAR:Torch <tab> QTY:3 <tab> LOCATION:Backpack
      > GEAR:Soap (Per Lb.) <tab> LOCATION:Backpack
      > GEAR:Whetstone <tab> LOCATION:Backpack
      > GEAR:Rope (Hempen/50 Ft.) <tab> LOCATION:Backpack
      >
      > You can copy-and-paste this, just replace every ' <tab> ' with one (or, for
      > readability, more) tab.
      >
      > Once this kit is loaded with the sources, after creating a character and
      > granting him/her money you just go to first tab, where you can find the button
      > to add a kit. Choose the kit to add.
      >
      > If your character does not have enough money, only those items up to the
      > available money are added, rest will throw warnings. If you want to make sure
      > the character is granted enough money (in fact, if you want to first give the
      > money to him), include something like the following line after the first:
      >
      > FUNDS:gp <tab> QTY:14
      >
      > Hope that helps you,
      >
      > Susan
    • Susan Dittmar
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 18 3:51 AM
        Dear Rick,

        > The Add Kit function is expecting a kit that already exists. Were do you
        > add the lst files to allow PCGen to add the kit to a character? Using
        > version 5.17.12

        I don't have time to write up the beginning steps right now. I am sure

        http://wiki.pcgen.org/Data_Class_One

        contains all you need (or at least links to what you need).

        What you will have to do is

        - copy the homebrew example directory to another directory all your own
        (so your changes are not overwritten with the next update)

        - in your new directory, in the file with suffix .pcc (the master file),
        change the first tags (source name, source abbreviation) of the set to
        something personal, so you can distinguish your stuff from official stuff
        from within the program

        - in that same master file, change the game mode to the one you are using
        (pathfinder if I remember correctly, you will have to look up the correct
        name)

        - in that same master file, search for the line starting with #KIT, and
        remove the # there to activate loading of the kit file

        - change the first tags in this kit file (source name, source abbreviation)
        in the same way as the master file

        - add the code I posted earlier to that kit file

        - Now start PCGen (it only reads new master files upon program start),
        load your usual sources and in addition your new homebrew set (you will
        find it according to the name you set in the master file). Then the kit
        should be in the list when you want to add a kit to the character.

        I can't give you more specific advice, as I do not even have a working
        PCGen where I am right now.

        Susan