RE: [pcgen] Re: psheet generation

  • Brass Tilde
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 2, 2001

      Exactly. With just one more step.

      > So we have 3 styles of export:

      If Java menus can be manipulated at run-time (and IIRC they can be), then
      you don't even need two sets of menu options. It can be context sensitive,
      and execute the appropriate functionality depending on whether you are on a
      character or one of the party screens.

      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 2, 2001

        Why? Incremental changes are usually easier to deal with and test reliably,
        whereas wholesale changes can be a bear to debug.

        Brass

        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 2, 2001

          > > Seriously...at some point there will be a GUI change, but it might
          > > as well be wholesale rather than incremental.
          >
          > Why? Incremental changes are usually easier to deal with and test
          reliably,
          > whereas wholesale changes can be a bear to debug.
          >
          > Brass

          I agree with this sentiment - sometimes changes have to be wholesale
          in nature, but that's rarely a necessity unless we're moving around
          large pieces of functionality. Just cleaning up a tab can be done
          individually, and deciding if we want to use a tab and/or menuing to
          generate PCGen's output doesn't impact much of the gui so it can be
          done in a fairly isolated manner as well. I like the idea of the
          preview tab becoming a kind of automatically-updated statblock that
          updates itself everytime you view the tab. I would like to be able
          to generate output files in the least number of clicks possible -
          which may mean using a combination of menus & tabs.

          -Bryan