Help installing on Ubuntu?

  • Pythor
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 9, 2012
      Hi,
      I haven't been using Pcgen for quite a while, but I'm trying to
      get it running on my new PC. This one is Ubuntu Precise Pangolin.
      I've got the files downloaded, but I'm not entirely sure I did it
      right, and I'm having problems.

      I'll start with some questions:
      1. Is there a repository that I can use to get PCgen
      installed realtively painlessly? I've found a reference to one
      online, but it's old and doesn't look up to date.
      2. Is Sun Java 6 required? I've got Open JDK Java 6, and
      Sun Java 7, but the same problems happen with both.
      3. Is there a specific path I should put the files in if I
      am doing it myself? I've tried ~/pcgen/ and ~/pcgen-5.16.x

      And if those answers are "No, No one of those is acceptable, and
      one of those should work"... then I have issues. If those aren't the
      right answers, I'm willing to start over trying whatever is generally
      accepted. Here's the problem I have.
      1. PCgen will run, showing me the opening screen, but...
      2. No tip shows up (not a big deal, but a symptom)
      3. Load Sources is greyed out.
      4. Install sources seems to work (It let me choose the Paizo
      APG file, and if I choose it again, it tells me files already exist)
      but, it runs forever. When I loaded the Paizo APG, it took several
      hours.
      5. Select sources brings up a dialog, but with no sources to pick.

      Can anyone help me out, or point me in the direction of a good
      Linux based guide on how to get up and running?

      Lee
    • James Dempsey
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 9, 2012
        Hi Lee,

        See http://wiki.pcgen.org/FAQ_and_Help#Java_7 for info on issue #2. That
        is the big one.

        To my knowledge there isn't a repository holding a copy of the latests
        alphas, which is what I would recommend to use on Ubuntu with the
        packaged Java. We hope to produce Linux packages for our production
        releases in the future though.

        For installing PCGen manually on Linux, there are no hard requirements
        for file locations. PCGen doesn't care where it is. It will mostly
        depend on file system permissions and personal preference.

        Cheers,
        James Dempsey
        PCGen Code SB

        On 10/06/2012 11:09 AM Pythor wrote
        > Hi,
        > I haven't been using Pcgen for quite a while, but I'm trying to
        > get it running on my new PC. This one is Ubuntu Precise Pangolin.
        > I've got the files downloaded, but I'm not entirely sure I did it
        > right, and I'm having problems.
        >
        > I'll start with some questions:
        > 1. Is there a repository that I can use to get PCgen
        > installed realtively painlessly? I've found a reference to one
        > online, but it's old and doesn't look up to date.
        > 2. Is Sun Java 6 required? I've got Open JDK Java 6, and
        > Sun Java 7, but the same problems happen with both.
        > 3. Is there a specific path I should put the files in if I
        > am doing it myself? I've tried ~/pcgen/ and ~/pcgen-5.16.x
        >
        > And if those answers are "No, No one of those is acceptable, and
        > one of those should work"... then I have issues. If those aren't the
        > right answers, I'm willing to start over trying whatever is generally
        > accepted. Here's the problem I have.
        > 1. PCgen will run, showing me the opening screen, but...
        > 2. No tip shows up (not a big deal, but a symptom)
        > 3. Load Sources is greyed out.
        > 4. Install sources seems to work (It let me choose the Paizo
        > APG file, and if I choose it again, it tells me files already exist)
        > but, it runs forever. When I loaded the Paizo APG, it took several
        > hours.
        > 5. Select sources brings up a dialog, but with no sources to pick.
        >

        > Can anyone help me out, or point me in the direction of a good
        > Linux based guide on how to get up and running?
        >
        > Lee
      • Pythor
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 9, 2012
          Ah, good. I was hoping it wouldn't be something difficult. I thought
          I had tried an unstable version before, but honestly I had a weird
          problem with all my new installs until I fixed it yesterday, so it may
          have been that at the time.

          Thanks for the help.

          Lee