Re: [pcgen] filtering race for PC

  • Saxum Caribetum
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 5, 2012
      On 05/06/2012 11:57, James Dempsey wrote:
      > Hi Saxum,
      >
      > On 5/06/2012 7:42 PM Saxum Caribetum wrote
      >> (PFRPG, APG, Bestiary 1+2, PCGen 5.17.9 and 5.17.14)
      >>
      >> I was hoping to explore alternative race PCs using PCGen, but find Race
      >> selection unhelpful and overly full of unsuitable races. PCGen lets you
      >> pick any monster race as a PC ... but it's always *any* race. Fine for
      >> NPCs, not fine for PCs.
      >>
      >> What I was specifically hoping to explore was "races defined solely by
      >> class levels".
      > In 5.17.14, the summary tab orders races in the race drop-down in a way
      > that might be close to what you are after. The order is Type.PC , then
      > Type.humanoid, then others. Is the sort of thing you are after? If not,
      > how would the grouping be defined in LST terms? If we can get a solid
      > definition I can look at a filter/tree.

      I was looking on the Races tab, as there you can see the benefits of the
      races - The Summary tab Race dropdown is only the names, which is not
      very useful unless you know what you want.
      Race.PC is only the core PC races, and does not include the bestiary
      no-hit-die specifically as a group.

      If you think it orders as Type.PC, then Type.Humanoid, then there's a
      different bug as well, as the list runs Dwarf, Elf, Gnome, Half-elf
      Halfling, Half-Orc, Human, Aasimar, Aboleth, Achaierai, Aeon,...

      >> 5.17.9 has a tree view for race/subtype/name, so I can at least get
      >> down to Humanoid-only, but 5.17.14 does not even have that!
      > If you right click on the name column you can select from a number of
      > trees, one of these is race type/name. I'm adding race type/subtype/name
      > to that now. See http://jira.pcgen.org/browse/CODE-1486

      ah - right-click on column-header! now I know! (not obvious...)

      Type/Name has 3 types: Humanoid, Base.PC, None.
      Type/Name has no entries in Humanoid; standard 7 as .PC, and all the
      rest as "None"

      >> With the upcoming Advanced Race Guide (not that PCGen is there yet!),
      >> there could be a significant burst of interest in non-core "standard"
      >> races...
      >> Any chance of better filtering, particularly in the current development
      >> line?
      >>
      > Cheers,
      > James.

      thanks for the comments