[pcgen] filtering race for PC

  • Saxum Caribetum
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 5, 2012
      (PFRPG, APG, Bestiary 1+2, PCGen 5.17.9 and 5.17.14)

      I was hoping to explore alternative race PCs using PCGen, but find Race
      selection unhelpful and overly full of unsuitable races. PCGen lets you
      pick any monster race as a PC ... but it's always *any* race. Fine for
      NPCs, not fine for PCs.

      What I was specifically hoping to explore was "races defined solely by
      class levels".

      5.17.9 has a tree view for race/subtype/name, so I can at least get
      down to Humanoid-only, but 5.17.14 does not even have that!

      With the upcoming Advanced Race Guide (not that PCGen is there yet!),
      there could be a significant burst of interest in non-core "standard"
      races...
      Any chance of better filtering, particularly in the current development
      line?

      --
      Neil Taylor "Creo Imaginem Mente"
    • James Dempsey
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 5, 2012
        Hi Saxum,

        On 5/06/2012 7:42 PM Saxum Caribetum wrote
        > (PFRPG, APG, Bestiary 1+2, PCGen 5.17.9 and 5.17.14)
        >
        > I was hoping to explore alternative race PCs using PCGen, but find Race
        > selection unhelpful and overly full of unsuitable races. PCGen lets you
        > pick any monster race as a PC ... but it's always *any* race. Fine for
        > NPCs, not fine for PCs.
        >
        > What I was specifically hoping to explore was "races defined solely by
        > class levels".

        In 5.17.14, the summary tab orders races in the race drop-down in a way
        that might be close to what you are after. The order is Type.PC , then
        Type.humanoid, then others. Is the sort of thing you are after? If not,
        how would the grouping be defined in LST terms? If we can get a solid
        definition I can look at a filter/tree.

        > 5.17.9 has a tree view for race/subtype/name, so I can at least get
        > down to Humanoid-only, but 5.17.14 does not even have that!

        If you right click on the name column you can select from a number of
        trees, one of these is race type/name. I'm adding race type/subtype/name
        to that now. See http://jira.pcgen.org/browse/CODE-1486

        > With the upcoming Advanced Race Guide (not that PCGen is there yet!),
        > there could be a significant burst of interest in non-core "standard"
        > races...
        > Any chance of better filtering, particularly in the current development
        > line?

        Cheers,
        James.
      • Saxum Caribetum
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 5, 2012
          On 05/06/2012 11:57, James Dempsey wrote:
          > Hi Saxum,
          >
          > On 5/06/2012 7:42 PM Saxum Caribetum wrote
          >> (PFRPG, APG, Bestiary 1+2, PCGen 5.17.9 and 5.17.14)
          >>
          >> I was hoping to explore alternative race PCs using PCGen, but find Race
          >> selection unhelpful and overly full of unsuitable races. PCGen lets you
          >> pick any monster race as a PC ... but it's always *any* race. Fine for
          >> NPCs, not fine for PCs.
          >>
          >> What I was specifically hoping to explore was "races defined solely by
          >> class levels".
          > In 5.17.14, the summary tab orders races in the race drop-down in a way
          > that might be close to what you are after. The order is Type.PC , then
          > Type.humanoid, then others. Is the sort of thing you are after? If not,
          > how would the grouping be defined in LST terms? If we can get a solid
          > definition I can look at a filter/tree.

          I was looking on the Races tab, as there you can see the benefits of the
          races - The Summary tab Race dropdown is only the names, which is not
          very useful unless you know what you want.
          Race.PC is only the core PC races, and does not include the bestiary
          no-hit-die specifically as a group.

          If you think it orders as Type.PC, then Type.Humanoid, then there's a
          different bug as well, as the list runs Dwarf, Elf, Gnome, Half-elf
          Halfling, Half-Orc, Human, Aasimar, Aboleth, Achaierai, Aeon,...

          >> 5.17.9 has a tree view for race/subtype/name, so I can at least get
          >> down to Humanoid-only, but 5.17.14 does not even have that!
          > If you right click on the name column you can select from a number of
          > trees, one of these is race type/name. I'm adding race type/subtype/name
          > to that now. See http://jira.pcgen.org/browse/CODE-1486

          ah - right-click on column-header! now I know! (not obvious...)

          Type/Name has 3 types: Humanoid, Base.PC, None.
          Type/Name has no entries in Humanoid; standard 7 as .PC, and all the
          rest as "None"

          >> With the upcoming Advanced Race Guide (not that PCGen is there yet!),
          >> there could be a significant burst of interest in non-core "standard"
          >> races...
          >> Any chance of better filtering, particularly in the current development
          >> line?
          >>
          > Cheers,
          > James.

          thanks for the comments