Re: language suggestion

  • mocha@mcs.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 9, 2001
      --- In pcgen@egroups.com, "John Pyrich" <pyrich@c...> wrote:
      > --- In pcgen@egroups.com, "C. Chaplin" <gauss@v...> wrote:
      >
      > > Currently races are alloted an automatic language selection. For
      > > those users (such as myself :) who wish to use the FR Guidelines
      > > humans don't always automatically speak Common, but have languages
      > > dependant on what region they're from.

      Technically, with the CAMPAIGN tags now available you could
      create multiple entries for Human based on their region
      (Gold Coast Human, Big Ear Human) and specify a different
      LANGAUTO for each. Or you could go the way John describes
      below (which is better because then Human is printed out
      wherever the Race is listed). This assumes that the players
      know what language is required of them when they create their
      character. I don't think I currently support an initial number
      of languages for bonus selection (the number comes solely from
      your intelligence), but this is easy to add and seems like a good
      fit for this kind of problem.

      > I'm unfamiliar with the FR Guidelines. Are those for 3e?
      > I have the same problem with my campaign world. I'm just going to
      > remove the LANGAUTO for all of the races in my campaign and give the
      > players an additional skill point to use in the program.
      >
      > In regard to languages, here's something that I discovered while
      > using the Wizard's program. Languages added using skill points are
      > listed under skills so you can always audit the skill points used.
      > The languages also appear under Languages Spoken so you can't choose
      > it twice by accident. That's kind of slick and would help close the
      > bug when you delete a language purchased with skill points. Just a
      > thought.

      Hm - actually that would be easy to add. I didn't keep track of
      which languages you learned due to skill because it seemed
      like an unnecessary task since it was added to the Language list.
      I'll add this to my list as well.

      > > Would it be possible to implement instead some kind of "slot"
      > > method? For example, say a human has one slot but initially is
      > > only allowed to begin play speaking Smurfish (due to the region
      > > he/she comes from).
      >
      > *If* this is changed here is a suggestion.
      >
      > Add a tag to give a race additional languages slots (added to
      > the INT number. You then can remove the LANGAUTO for that race, add
      > your set of racial languages to LANGBONUS and you're set. This might
      > work nicely for the future as well.
      >
      > See Bryan! I *can* keep it under 30. ;-)

      My To Do list thanks you. ;)

      -Bryan