New Dataset

  • thepeddy
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 19, 2012
      I am looking into making a homebrew dataset, but before I do I wanted to know if this program can support a d10 system game, that works on a points buy system for both creation and levelling. To my knowledge there should not be any problem with licensing as both the game system and it's publisher are now defunct.
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 19, 2012

        I'll address the technical aspects and allow a PR monkey to address the Licensing aspects:

        Can PCGen handle a d10 system?
        That's a very good question. I've never tried. Which system would you be attempting to support?
        (I'm going to assume it's not Whitewolf Storyteller System, as they are not 'defunct').
        So, let's go with a Buffy/Angel - unisystem d10 (As far as I know, they're not in business any longer)

        Broken Down it has A Base Attribute Score (Easy to handle any number of those).
        Then it has a 'Skill/Talent points?' Attack with Spear or the like... And then a Weapon takes the
        Score Total, and the Skill Total to determine the Bonus you apply to your d10 roll. (I'm going off
        the top of my head, it's been a few years since I played my Gypsy Demonhunter)

        You could even set up the Skills to be that, it would work.

        Can it be done? Based upon that, yeah, it could be done. Would it require a lot of effort? Most
        likely yes. - Why?
        You'll need to set up the gamemode; then make a core set. And then finally, you'll need to make a
        Character Sheet to support the system at large - unless you want a primarily d20 character sheet
        with a lot of useless information on it.

        If I was going to make a hack job to get it done quickly, the gamemode would take about 10 minutes,
        and then making the skills, and weapons would probably take 10 to 50 minutes, depending on how many
        weapons I wanted to support. The harder part would be setting up the abilities to replicate the
        points you can spend. Since it is a Classless game, you can't use the inbuilt leveling mechanism, so
        you'd need a bunch of abilities.

        Probably looking at a few solid hours of coding if you are experienced and know what to do.

        Though, I know there are readily available editable PDFs that you can make a character sheet from...
        (Quicker if you just want a character).

        But if you enjoy coding, then go for it. The LST monkeys hang out over on the List File Help Group
        if you have any coding specific questions.

        Cheers,

        On 4/19/2012 1:33 AM, thepeddy wrote:
        > I am looking into making a homebrew dataset, but before I do I wanted to know if this program can support a d10 system game, that works on a points buy system for both creation and levelling. To my knowledge there should not be any problem with licensing as both the game system and it's publisher are now defunct.

      • Jonathan M. Thompson
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 19, 2012
          I hate to jump in here, but Eden Studios (makers of both Buffy and Angel) are still very much alive and no where near defunct

          Sent from my iPhone

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 19, 2012
            Hey, that's awesome to hear... blows my assumption out of the water. ;)

            So which d10 system isn't still in Biz then? Oh well. Nice to see you Jon. Been missing you hanging
            around the BoD meetings.

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 19, 2012
              I should clarify a bit, the d10 system of the game is now defunct as the third edition converted it to a d20 based system and the original publisher later sold the rights to the d20 system to another company who kept the setting but changed the name and some rules. To my knowledge the original publisher was green ronin press, who now makes Mutants and Masterminds. The original system was the Legend of The 5 Rings, after the third edition it was bought out by Wizards of The Coast and converted to the Oriental Adventures Campaign setting. The dataset I want to create is based on the second edition ruleset.

              > Hey, that's awesome to hear... blows my assumption out of the water. ;)
              >
              > So which d10 system isn't still in Biz then? Oh well. Nice to see you Jon. Been missing you hanging
              > around the BoD meetings.
              >

              > On 4/19/2012 11:30 AM, Jonathan M. Thompson wrote:
              > > I hate to jump in here, but Eden Studios (makers of both Buffy and Angel) are still very much alive and no where near defunct
              > >
              > > Sent from my iPhone
              > >
              > > On Apr 19, 2012, at 1:25 PM, Andrew <drew0500@...> wrote:
              > >
              > >> Hi,
              > >>
              > >> I'll address the technical aspects and allow a PR monkey to address the Licensing aspects:
              > >>
              > >> Can PCGen handle a d10 system?
              > >> That's a very good question. I've never tried. Which system would you be attempting to support?
              > >> (I'm going to assume it's not Whitewolf Storyteller System, as they are not 'defunct').
              > >> So, let's go with a Buffy/Angel - unisystem d10 (As far as I know, they're not in business any longer)
              > >>
              > >> Broken Down it has A Base Attribute Score (Easy to handle any number of those).
              > >> Then it has a 'Skill/Talent points?' Attack with Spear or the like... And then a Weapon takes the
              > >> Score Total, and the Skill Total to determine the Bonus you apply to your d10 roll. (I'm going off
              > >> the top of my head, it's been a few years since I played my Gypsy Demonhunter)
              > >>
              > >> You could even set up the Skills to be that, it would work.
              > >>
              > >> Can it be done? Based upon that, yeah, it could be done. Would it require a lot of effort? Most
              > >> likely yes. - Why?
              > >> You'll need to set up the gamemode; then make a core set. And then finally, you'll need to make a
              > >> Character Sheet to support the system at large - unless you want a primarily d20 character sheet
              > >> with a lot of useless information on it.
              > >>
              > >> If I was going to make a hack job to get it done quickly, the gamemode would take about 10 minutes,
              > >> and then making the skills, and weapons would probably take 10 to 50 minutes, depending on how many
              > >> weapons I wanted to support. The harder part would be setting up the abilities to replicate the
              > >> points you can spend. Since it is a Classless game, you can't use the inbuilt leveling mechanism, so
              > >> you'd need a bunch of abilities.
              > >>
              > >> Probably looking at a few solid hours of coding if you are experienced and know what to do.
              > >>
              > >> Though, I know there are readily available editable PDFs that you can make a character sheet from...
              > >> (Quicker if you just want a character).
              > >>
              > >> But if you enjoy coding, then go for it. The LST monkeys hang out over on the List File Help Group
              > >> if you have any coding specific questions.
              > >>
              > >> Cheers,

              > >> --
              > >> Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
              > >> Data 2nd, Docs Tamarin, OS Lemur

              > > Yahoo! Groups Links
              > >

              > --
              > Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
              > Data 2nd, Docs Tamarin, OS Lemur
              > Unique Title "The Torturer of PCGen"

            • Jonathan Thompson
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 19, 2012
                As far as I am aware, they are not defunct either....especially with the
                release of L5R 4th edition. The d20 version was done as a licensed deal,
                and AEG published the d20 Rouken and all its sourcebooks. So, AEG is not
                defunct either.

                On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 9:07 PM, thepeddy <the_peddy@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > I should clarify a bit, the d10 system of the game is now defunct as the
                > third edition converted it to a d20 based system and the original publisher
                > later sold the rights to the d20 system to another company who kept the
                > setting but changed the name and some rules. To my knowledge the original
                > publisher was green ronin press, who now makes Mutants and Masterminds. The
                > original system was the Legend of The 5 Rings, after the third edition it
                > was bought out by Wizards of The Coast and converted to the Oriental
                > Adventures Campaign setting. The dataset I want to create is based on the
                > second edition ruleset.

                > > Hey, that's awesome to hear... blows my assumption out of the water. ;)
                > >
                > > So which d10 system isn't still in Biz then? Oh well. Nice to see you
                > Jon. Been missing you hanging
                > > around the BoD meetings.
                > >

                > > On 4/19/2012 11:30 AM, Jonathan M. Thompson wrote:
                > > > I hate to jump in here, but Eden Studios (makers of both Buffy and
                > Angel) are still very much alive and no where near defunct
                > > >
                > > > Sent from my iPhone

                > the Licensing aspects:

                > be attempting to support?
                > are not 'defunct').
                > they're not in business any longer)

                > of those).
                > And then a Weapon takes the
                > your d10 roll. (I'm going off
                > Demonhunter)

                > require a lot of effort? Most
                > finally, you'll need to make a
                > primarily d20 character sheet

                > gamemode would take about 10 minutes,
                > minutes, depending on how many
                > abilities to replicate the
                > inbuilt leveling mechanism, so

                > experienced and know what to do.

                > make a character sheet from...

                > over on the List File Help Group

                > wanted to know if this program can support a d10 system game, that works on
                > a points buy system for both creation and levelling. To my knowledge there
                > should not be any problem with licensing as both the game system and it's
                > publisher are now defunct.

                > > > PCGen List File Help:
                > > >
                > > > PCGen Experimental:
                > > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                > > >

                > > --
                > > Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
                > > Data 2nd, Docs Tamarin, OS Lemur

                Jonathan M. Thompson
                Battlefield Press, Inc (www.battlefieldpress.com) / Solar Flare Productions
                thompsonjm@...
                Follow me on Twitter @RaiderDragon
                Now on Sale: Open Anime (Open Core) and Gaslight Victorian Fantasy
                (OGL/Savage Worlds) | "Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never
                were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan

                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 19, 2012
                  In all fairness, you can create a data set for any book. We just can't make it and release it as
                  part of the pcgen main release.

                  So, don't let that stop you in any shape or form. A homebrew doesn't need to abide by any license
                  requirements, it's for your own personal use. That has always been the case.

                  Anyways, I hope I've illustrated what you'll need to do. If you need specific pointers you know
                  where to find the data monkeys ;)

                  Cheers,

                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 19, 2012
                    Yes, this. :-) Its a great program....wish I had time to write more code
                    for it . :-)