Halfling Sling Staff

  • pfsgamer
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2012
      Why wouldn't a Halfling Witch be proficient with a Halfling Sling staff?
      It is the only weapon that has halfling in the name that I can find, so any Halfling should be proficient, yes?

      PCGen 51710, Core Rulebook p148
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2012

        On 4/1/2012 1:58 PM, pfsgamer wrote:
        > Why wouldn't a Halfling Witch be proficient with a Halfling Sling staff?

        Is it a listed proficiency of a witch?
        Asked another way, do witches gain automatic proficiency with ALL martial weapons?

        > It is the only weapon that has halfling in the name that I can find, so any Halfling should be proficient, yes?

        Incorrect. This would imply it's a racial weapon. For races with implicit racial weapons these are
        treated as Exotic for those outside the race, but made available as Martial Weapon Proficiency for
        the race itself.

        > PCGen 51710, Core Rulebook p148

        Just an FYI, the racial weapons not acting as proper martial weapons was fixed for the CHOOSER in
        5.17.12.

      • pfsgamer
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1, 2012
          Weapon Familiarity: Halflings are proficient with slings and treat any weapon with the word "halfling" in its name as a martial weapon.

          So you're saying that a Halfling Sling Staff is not a sling, and since Witches don't get martial weapons, only simple, a Halfling Witch does not get to use a sling staff proficiently?

          I just want to make sure I understand.

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 1, 2012
            On 4/1/2012 2:17 PM, pfsgamer wrote:
            > Weapon Familiarity: Halflings are proficient with slings and treat any weapon with the word "halfling" in its name as a martial weapon.
            >
            > So you're saying that a Halfling Sling Staff is not a sling, and since Witches don't get martial weapons, only simple, a Halfling Witch does not get to use a sling staff proficiently?

            Yes, I'm saying that a 'Halfling Sling Staff' is not a sling, it is a 'Sling Staff'.

            We have an actual entry for sling:
            Sling: A sling is little more than a leather cup attached to a pair of strings. Your Strength
            modifier applies to damage rolls when you use a sling, just as it does for thrown weapons. You can
            fire, but not load, a sling with one hand. Loading a sling is a move action that requires two hands
            and provokes attacks of opportunity. You can hurl ordinary stones with a sling, but stones are not
            as dense or as round as bullets. Thus, such an attack deals damage as if the weapon were designed
            for a creature one size category smaller than you and you take a --1 penalty on attack rolls.

            And here is the entry for the staff sling:
            Sling Staff, Halfling: Made from a specially designed sling attached to a short club, a halfling
            sling staff can be used by a _proficient _wielder to devastating effect. Your Strength modifier
            applies to damage rolls when you use a halfling sling staff, just as it does for thrown weapons.
            You can fire, but not load, a halfling sling staff with one hand. Loading a halfling sling staff is
            a move action that requires two hands and provokes attacks of opportunity. You can hurl ordinary
            stones with a halfling sling staff, but stones are not as dense or as round as bullets. Thus, such
            an attack deals damage as if the weapon were designed for a creature one size category smaller than
            you and you take a --1 penalty on attack rolls.
            A halfling sling staff can be used as a simple weapon that deals bludgeoning damage equal to that of
            a club of its size. _/*Halflings treat halfling sling staves as martial weapons.*/_

            Hence, a witch, whom is only proficient with simple weapons is NOT proficient with a Sling Staff, as
            it requires a Martial Weapon Proficiency. You may opt to take a non-proficient penalty of -4 to hit
            and still use one of course, that is always a valid option.

            Cheers,

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 1, 2012
              Thanks Andrew!

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 1, 2012