Re: SOURCE tag question

  • pjak@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2001
      --- In pcgen@y..., mynex2k1@y... wrote:

      > With the addition of the source tag, why not combine all the list
      > files that are related together? phb/dmh/mm -- FR/MoF -- etc...
      >
      > IF an EXCLUDE:SOURCE={text}<-- whatever format the source is using,
      > was to be added into the pcc file?
      >
      > I know that combining all the list files into one was shot down a
      > while ago, but with the addition of the source tag, this may make
      it
      > easier on # dirs created, and what types of files to edit, etc...

      The main disadvantage still stands though. It would make it a *lot*
      harder for several people to edit various parts independently.

      It would also increase the odds that people's files would diverge in
      such a manner that even cvs's merge facilities would be hard pressed
      to make sense of it. And doing manual merges is so unfun it even
      resembles work...

      Also, not inconsequentially, it would make pcgen even *more* of a
      resource hog than it is already, as it would have to parse a *large*
      file.

      Instead, I suggest we split the files up even further, and make it
      easier to select the files one needs. (For publishers other than Wotc
      we definitely need to split up the files into one book per file.)

      /Jonas