Which version of PCGen loads the RSRD without errors?

  • Arjan
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 22, 2012
      See title. I'm coding some things for my homebrew atm. But bughunting is a pain in 5.17.11. The RSRD throws up a multitude of errors on load so the errors thrown up by my homebrew get swamped.

      So, which version of PCGen loads the RSRD faultless? Please don't say 5.16.4 :)

      Thanx,
      Arjan
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 22, 2012
        Hi Arjan,

        My local version which would be 5.17.12. However, I wouldn't recommend it for everyday gaming if you
        need the full functionality of say companion support, or like to use temp modifiers. It is great at
        debugging sets though ;)

        Heh, 5.16.4 isn't error free - we just didn't have the advancements in error checking that we have
        in place now. (5.17.12 adds even more error checking).

        BTW - I don't consider deprecation notices as errors - that is just merely informing you that the
        syntax you are currently using won't be supported in the near future. As a side note - those
        messages can be disable in your preferences.

        If you are still seeing errors in the RSRD please let me know.

        Cheers,

        On 3/22/2012 6:47 AM, Arjan wrote:
        > See title. I'm coding some things for my homebrew atm. But bughunting is a pain in 5.17.11. The RSRD throws up a multitude of errors on load so the errors thrown up by my homebrew get swamped.
        >
        > So, which version of PCGen loads the RSRD faultless? Please don't say 5.16.4 :)
        >
        > Thanx,
        > Arjan

      • Arjan
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 22, 2012
          Hi Andrew,

          if I open the console with just the RSRD loaded I get about 3 screens of LSTWARNings. If I load my homebrew as well I get some more warnings but its pretty hard to figure which ones.

          I want to clean up my code and get rid of all stray errors and obsolete code. The console is no help in locating the offending code. And going over it by hand is lot of work and probably not very effective.

          Using 5.16.4 helped a lot in this regard, although it won't give me warnings about code getting obsolete in 5.17.x.

          BTW, how can I disable those notices? I probably overlooked it but I couldn't find the option in the preferences.

          Regards,
          Arjan

          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 22, 2012
            Hi Arjan,

            On 3/22/2012 8:29 AM, Arjan wrote:
            > Hi Andrew,
            >
            > if I open the console with just the RSRD loaded I get about 3 screens of LSTWARNings. If I load my homebrew as well I get some more warnings but its pretty hard to figure which ones.

            Which version is this? I cleaned up all the items I had popping up for pre-5.17.12 release. If you
            are using 5.17.12 and still seeing errors please log them in a jira as a data bug and I'll fix them
            ASAP.

            > I want to clean up my code and get rid of all stray errors and obsolete code. The console is no help in locating the offending code. And going over it by hand is lot of work and probably not very effective.

            Preferences - input -two check boxes exist. One is to show/hide deprecation errors; the other is to
            show detailed messages from unconstructed references

            > Using 5.16.4 helped a lot in this regard, although it won't give me warnings about code getting obsolete in 5.17.x.
            >
            > BTW, how can I disable those notices? I probably overlooked it but I couldn't find the option in the preferences.

            Warning Level exists to be altered in pre5-17.11 After 5.17.11 this option no longer exists as far
            as I can tell.

            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 22, 2012
              Hi Andrew

              > > if I open the console with just the RSRD loaded I get about 3 screens of LSTWARNings. If I load my homebrew as well I get some more warnings but its pretty hard to figure which ones.
              >
              > Which version is this? I cleaned up all the items I had popping up for pre-5.17.12 release. If you
              > are using 5.17.12 and still seeing errors please log them in a jira as a data bug and I'll fix them
              > ASAP.

              5.17.12. I just did a clean install today. I dumped my console output in a JIRA for you under DATA.

              > Preferences - input -two check boxes exist. One is to show/hide deprecation errors; the other is to
              > show detailed messages from unconstructed references

              Found it, thanx. Was pretty obvious. Don't know how I missed it.

              Arjan
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 22, 2012
                Hi Arjan,

                All of those are deprecation messages. Disable the preference to show those and your console will be
                blissfully empty.

                Cheers,

                On 3/22/2012 1:36 PM, Arjan wrote:
                > Hi Andrew
                >
                >>> if I open the console with just the RSRD loaded I get about 3 screens of LSTWARNings. If I load my homebrew as well I get some more warnings but its pretty hard to figure which ones.
                >> Which version is this? I cleaned up all the items I had popping up for pre-5.17.12 release. If you
                >> are using 5.17.12 and still seeing errors please log them in a jira as a data bug and I'll fix them
                >> ASAP.
                > 5.17.12. I just did a clean install today. I dumped my console output in a JIRA for you under DATA.
                >
                >> Preferences - input -two check boxes exist. One is to show/hide deprecation errors; the other is to
                >> show detailed messages from unconstructed references
                > Found it, thanx. Was pretty obvious. Don't know how I missed it.
                >
                > Arjan

              • Arjan
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 22, 2012
                  Hi Andrew,

                  > All of those are deprecation messages. Disable the preference to show those and your console will be
                  > blissfully empty.

                  True. But if I wanted to hunt for obsolete code in my files I need those messages. O well, it'll have to wait then.

                  Thanx,
                  Arjan
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 22, 2012
                    On 3/22/2012 2:56 PM, Arjan wrote:
                    > Hi Andrew,
                    >
                    >> All of those are deprecation messages. Disable the preference to show those and your console will be
                    >> blissfully empty.
                    > True. But if I wanted to hunt for obsolete code in my files I need those messages. O well, it'll have to wait then.

                    You could run the pcgen data converter on your own files. As long as the data is current to the
                    previous versions standards it'll work fine. (previous version would be 5.16 in this case).

                    Cheers,

                    > Thanx,
                    > Arjan

                  • Arjan
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 23, 2012
                      Hi Andrew,

                      > You could run the pcgen data converter on your own files. As long as the data is current to the
                      > previous versions standards it'll work fine. (previous version would be 5.16 in this case).

                      Uhm, I know it's shipped with PCGen but how do I access it? The docs and the wiki are very vague about how to go about this. Is it PrettyLST? The docs just say "run the converter".

                      I found some .jar files under converterplugins but I'm at a loss about what to do about it. Google is no help either. "LST converter" seems te be a more general tool as well. I've found some reference to Perl but no scripts. *stuck*

                      Arjan
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 23, 2012
                        Hi,

                        batch-convert.jar

                        It's in the base pcgen folder, right above the data, docs, system folders.

                        Click on it, should be self-explanatory from there.

                        Cheers,

                        On 3/23/2012 3:40 AM, Arjan wrote:
                        > Hi Andrew,
                        >
                        >> You could run the pcgen data converter on your own files. As long as the data is current to the
                        >> previous versions standards it'll work fine. (previous version would be 5.16 in this case).
                        > Uhm, I know it's shipped with PCGen but how do I access it? The docs and the wiki are very vague about how to go about this. Is it PrettyLST? The docs just say "run the converter".
                        >
                        > I found some .jar files under converterplugins but I'm at a loss about what to do about it. Google is no help either. "LST converter" seems te be a more general tool as well. I've found some reference to Perl but no scripts. *stuck*
                        >
                        > Arjan

                      • Eric C Smith
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 23, 2012
                          Hmmm, maybe we need a kira to add a walkthrough on using the batch-converter.

                          I'll add one later tonight when I het home.

                          Maredudd

                          Sent from my iPhone

                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 23, 2012
                            Found it! Wasn't that hard now I knew where to look. The tool is pretty self explanatory. A reference to what the LST conversion tool actualy is and where it's found in the docs and wiki would be nice.

                            Anyway I ran it and it basiclly removed any and all ABILITY tags from races, feats, templates, domains ... Not realy what I had in mind.

                            regards,
                            Arjan

                            > batch-convert.jar
                            >
                            > It's in the base pcgen folder, right above the data, docs, system folders.
                            >
                            > Click on it, should be self-explanatory from there.
                            >
                            > Cheers,
                            >
                            > On 3/23/2012 3:40 AM, Arjan wrote:
                            > > Hi Andrew,
                            > >
                            > >> You could run the pcgen data converter on your own files. As long as the data is current to the
                            > >> previous versions standards it'll work fine. (previous version would be 5.16 in this case).
                            > > Uhm, I know it's shipped with PCGen but how do I access it? The docs and the wiki are very vague about how to go about this. Is it PrettyLST? The docs just say "run the converter".
                            > >
                            > > I found some .jar files under converterplugins but I'm at a loss about what to do about it. Google is no help either. "LST converter" seems te be a more general tool as well. I've found some reference to Perl but no scripts. *stuck*
                            > >
                            > > Arjan

                            > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                            > >

                            > --
                            > Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
                            > Data 2nd, Docs Tamarin, OS Lemur
                            > Unique Title "The Torturer of PCGen"

                          • James Dempsey
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 23, 2012
                              Hi Arjan,

                              On 24/03/2012 8:44 AM Arjan wrote
                              > Found it! Wasn't that hard now I knew where to look. The tool is pretty self explanatory. A reference to what the LST conversion tool actualy is and where it's found in the docs and wiki would be nice.
                              >
                              > Anyway I ran it and it basiclly removed any and all ABILITY tags from races, feats, templates, domains ... Not realy what I had in mind.

                              That's not what we had in mind either! I'll have a look into it.

                              Cheers,
                              James.
                            • James Dempsey
                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 23, 2012
                                On 24/03/2012 8:50 AM James Dempsey wrote
                                > Hi Arjan,
                                >
                                > On 24/03/2012 8:44 AM Arjan wrote
                                >> Found it! Wasn't that hard now I knew where to look. The tool is pretty self explanatory. A reference to what the LST conversion tool actualy is and where it's found in the docs and wiki would be nice.
                                >>
                                >> Anyway I ran it and it basiclly removed any and all ABILITY tags from races, feats, templates, domains ... Not realy what I had in mind.
                                > That's not what we had in mind either! I'll have a look into it.
                                Raised asCODE-1410 <http://jira.pcgen.org/browse/CODE-1410>-LST
                                Converter - Abilities Stripped <http://jira.pcgen.org/browse/CODE-1410>
                                if you want to follow progress.

                                Cheers,
                                James.

                              • Arjan
                                Message 15 of 15 , Mar 26, 2012
                                  Hi James,

                                  > > That's not what we had in mind either! I'll have a look into it.
                                  > Raised asCODE-1410 <http://jira.pcgen.org/browse/CODE-1410>-LST
                                  > Converter - Abilities Stripped <http://jira.pcgen.org/browse/CODE-1410>
                                  > if you want to follow progress.

                                  Thanx and I will.