Re: [pcgen] Re: List File Editor in 5.17.11

  • Doug Limmer
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 15 11:54 AM
      Hmm ... Is there an open-source Java text editor we could swipe the code
      from? Or better yet, a programmer's editor?

      DS/DL

      On 3/15/2012 2:51 PM, Eric Jarman wrote:

      > Based on the fact that when editing with the LST editor, most additions
      > require a restart of PCGen, I think the editor would be more useful as an
      > external program, rather than as an integrated component.
      >
      > The basic mode should be a "data-entry-wizard" type of interface for new
      > users, as it exists now. However, there really should be an "advanced"
      > mode that is basically just a java based text editor. A lot of people get
      > confused by the standard reply of "just use any text editor", and give up.
      >
      > Eric.
      >
      > On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 3:55 PM, RoninKelt <deltadave@...
      > <mailto:deltadave%40usa.net>> wrote:
      >
      > > I do all of my LST coding in vim, and find the built in LST editor to be
      > > pretty useless for anything other than really quick stuff like adding
      > > languages. Unlike some of the other commenters, I wouldn't consider
      > a lack
      > > of a built in editor to be a must-have. It would be nice to have a
      > data set
      > > editor, but would be quite a bit of work to build an xmlspy style
      > app with
      > > data/tag validation, logic checking, cross file reference validation and
      > > all the other features that would make it worthwhile. All that work
      > would
      > > be better spent improving the core of pcgen IMO.
      > >
      > > Dave
      > >
      > > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>,
      > UnclePete <uncle@...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I find the current LST editor next to useless and hand-code all my
      > > > homebrew files - it's absence will be no loss to me.
      > > >
      > > > However, a decent LST editor is a must-have feature for PCGen. IMO the
      > > > lack of an effective LST editor is hobbling PCGen.
      > > >
      > > > Regards - Pete

      > think

      > > http://wiki.pcgen.org/LST_Editor>
      > not be
      > plan on

      > editor

      > though.
      > > the

      > > PCGen List File Help:
      > >
      > > PCGen Experimental:
      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Eric Jarman
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 15 12:26 PM
        Google tells me there are a few:
        Jedit (GPL v2): http://www.jedit.org/
        jpEdit (GPL v2): http://www.jpedit.co.uk/install.htm

        The only LGPL text editor I see is ActiveState Komodo, but that isn't
        written in Java.

      • Eric Jarman
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 15 12:30 PM
          Wikipedia says there is one more:
          RText (GPL): http://sourceforge.net/projects/rtext/

          On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 2:26 PM, Eric Jarman <eric.h.jarman@...>wrote:

          > Google tells me there are a few:
          > Jedit (GPL v2): http://www.jedit.org/
          > jpEdit (GPL v2): http://www.jpedit.co.uk/install.htm
          >
          > The only LGPL text editor I see is ActiveState Komodo, but that isn't
          > written in Java.
          >

          > On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 1:54 PM, Doug Limmer <adventure@...>wrote:
          >
          >> Hmm ... Is there an open-source Java text editor we could swipe the code
          >> from? Or better yet, a programmer's editor?
          >>
          >> DS/DL
          >>

          >> On 3/15/2012 2:51 PM, Eric Jarman wrote:
          >>

          >> Based on the fact that when editing with the LST editor, most additions
          >> require a restart of PCGen, I think the editor would be more useful as an
          >> external program, rather than as an integrated component.
          >>
          >> The basic mode should be a "data-entry-wizard" type of interface for new
          >> users, as it exists now. However, there really should be an "advanced"
          >> mode that is basically just a java based text editor. A lot of people get
          >> confused by the standard reply of "just use any text editor", and give up.
          >>
          >> Eric.
          >>
          >> On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 3:55 PM, RoninKelt <deltadave@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> > I do all of my LST coding in vim, and find the built in LST editor to be
          >> > pretty useless for anything other than really quick stuff like adding
          >> > languages. Unlike some of the other commenters, I wouldn't consider a
          >> lack
          >> > of a built in editor to be a must-have. It would be nice to have a data
          >> set
          >> > editor, but would be quite a bit of work to build an xmlspy style app
          >> with
          >> > data/tag validation, logic checking, cross file reference validation and
          >> > all the other features that would make it worthwhile. All that work
          >> would
          >> > be better spent improving the core of pcgen IMO.
          >> >
          >> > Dave

          >> think

          >> > http://wiki.pcgen.org/LST_Editor>
          >> be
          >> plan on

          >> editor

          >> though.
          >> > the

          >> > PCGen List File Help:
          >> > (for assistance in creating new homebrew or official list files)
          >> >
          >> > PCGen Experimental:
          >> > (for new official data source development)
          >> > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Eric Jarman
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 15 12:50 PM
            Widening my search paramaters, we have a match for both java and LGPL: An
            HTML editor named Arachnophilia. http://www.arachnoid.com/arachnophilia/

            Supports syntax highlighting (extensible for multiple code types) and
            unicode.

          • thpr
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 16 2:59 PM
              But is that what we are trying to do? Are we actually trying to make a TEXT editor?...

              The discussion here looking at Java code bases has gone in a pathway that is different than what was in 5.16... So we should resolve a direction.

              If we want something that shows the text highlighted, etc., then we need to be VERY specific on what features we are expecting that are not available today in an EMACS, VIM, etc. highlighted file (we have highlights available for a number of editors)... because we need to know what we are developing (and why).

              I was under the impression we wanted editors more like 5.16, where things are tabbed and much more structured to how the files are organized and not just present the user with a block of (highlighted) text.

              Yes, the advanced tab should be done away with as much as possible and things more organized vs 5.16, but is the 5.16 model the intent/assumption we are working with?

              TP.

              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Eric Jarman <eric.h.jarman@...> wrote:

              > Widening my search paramaters, we have a match for both java and LGPL: An
              > HTML editor named Arachnophilia. http://www.arachnoid.com/arachnophilia/
              >
              > Supports syntax highlighting (extensible for multiple code types) and
              > unicode.
              >
              > On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 2:30 PM, Eric Jarman <eric.h.jarman@...>wrote:
              >
              > > Wikipedia says there is one more:
              > > RText (GPL): http://sourceforge.net/projects/rtext/
              > >

              > > On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 2:26 PM, Eric Jarman <eric.h.jarman@...>wrote:
              > >
              > >> Google tells me there are a few:
              > >> Jedit (GPL v2): http://www.jedit.org/
              > >> jpEdit (GPL v2): http://www.jpedit.co.uk/install.htm
              > >>
              > >> The only LGPL text editor I see is ActiveState Komodo, but that isn't
              > >> written in Java.

            • Distant Scholar
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 16 3:20 PM
                --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "thpr" <thpr@...> wrote:

                > But is that what we are trying to do? Are we actually trying to make a TEXT editor?...

                I think I started off the discussion about looking at existing open source text editors to see what was available. I was commenting on this paragraph:

                So, I wasn't thinking of doing away with an in-program dialog box LST editor, but just referring to the "advanced" mode suggested here.

                If someone else has already done most of the work for us, adding the "advanced" mode could be significantly easier than adding the "data-entry-wizard" mode. But, such a "data-entry-wizard" mode should exist, I think.

                DS/DL
              • Eric Jarman
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 18 7:15 PM
                  That is the same assumption I was going with in this conversation also.
                  Though I might even go so far as to suggest an option for having a wizard
                  and text entry boxes side-by-side (maybe read-only in that case) in order
                  for people to see exactly how to code something by hand, as a teaching tool
                  of sorts. ie. enter a field in the wizard on the left, and then see where
                  that value gets populated on the right.