Re: Darkwood Buckler

  • Distant Scholar
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 7, 2012
      pfsgamer sent me the character file, and I discovered the problem: equipping the darkwood buckler is just enough to put the character into Medium encumbrance.

      Yes, the character was within 2.5 lbs of the Medium encumbrance category.

      DS/DL

      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "pfsgamer" <losttrader2000@...> wrote:

      > PCGen 5.1.7.10 w/ PFS Core, APG, Guide 4.0, and Ultimate Combat.
      > The Darkwood Buckler is from the Core rulebook.
      >
      > Thanks for looking into this. The only reason the character got the thing was because she was told it did not produce any penalties, and did not interfere with the bow.
      >
      > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Doug Limmer <adventure@> wrote:
      >
      > > @pfsgamer: What version of PCGen are you using, and what datasets are
      > > you loading? (If you gave this information earlier, I've lost it.)
      > >
      > > DS/DL

      > > > That means you don't get penalties to attack when using the bow, which
      > > > has nothing to do with using skills. The armor check penalty still
      > > > applies to alls Strength- and Dexterity-based skills. Such is the cost
      > > > for using it non-proficiently.
      > > >
      > > > Stefan.

    • pfsgamer
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 7, 2012
        Oh my! You are correct and I should have caught that - I am frequently swapping equipment because of the load limit.
        Thank you! Sorry for the fuss!

        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Distant Scholar" <adventure@...> wrote:

        > pfsgamer sent me the character file, and I discovered the problem: equipping the darkwood buckler is just enough to put the character into Medium encumbrance.
        >
        > Yes, the character was within 2.5 lbs of the Medium encumbrance category.
        >
        > DS/DL
        >
        > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "pfsgamer" <losttrader2000@> wrote:
        > >
        > > PCGen 5.1.7.10 w/ PFS Core, APG, Guide 4.0, and Ultimate Combat.
        > > The Darkwood Buckler is from the Core rulebook.
        > >
        > > Thanks for looking into this. The only reason the character got the thing was because she was told it did not produce any penalties, and did not interfere with the bow.
        > >
        > > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Doug Limmer <adventure@> wrote:
        > >
        > > > @pfsgamer: What version of PCGen are you using, and what datasets are
        > > > you loading? (If you gave this information earlier, I've lost it.)
        > > >
        > > > DS/DL

      • Paul
        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 7, 2012
          PFS, make different equipment sets for different situations.

          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "pfsgamer" <losttrader2000@...> wrote:

          > Oh my! You are correct and I should have caught that - I am frequently swapping equipment because of the load limit.
          > Thank you! Sorry for the fuss!
          >
          > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Distant Scholar" <adventure@> wrote:
          > >

          > > pfsgamer sent me the character file, and I discovered the problem: equipping the darkwood buckler is just enough to put the character into Medium encumbrance.
          > >
          > > Yes, the character was within 2.5 lbs of the Medium encumbrance category.
          > >
          > > DS/DL
          > >
          > > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "pfsgamer" <losttrader2000@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > PCGen 5.1.7.10 w/ PFS Core, APG, Guide 4.0, and Ultimate Combat.
          > > > The Darkwood Buckler is from the Core rulebook.
          > > >
          > > > Thanks for looking into this. The only reason the character got the thing was because she was told it did not produce any penalties, and did not interfere with the bow.

        • FerretDave
          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 8, 2012
            Perhaps we want the load display enhancing to make this sort of thing more obvious?

            What if, when you add a piece of equipment, if this pushes you from light to medium, or medium to heavy, a dialog pops up warning you?

            A similar 'congrats!' on removing equipment and dropping a level would be amusing too :-)

            Cheers

            Message 5 of 23 , Mar 8, 2012
              In at least the pdf version, you get an encumbrance box that should declare your encumbrance load -
              it appears under the Base Attack Bonus box. It also only appears if the character is encumbered.

              I'm not sure I'd appreciate a pop up box while I'm work with the Character. I'd be more inclined to
              find other methods, like turning the Weight Yellow for Medium Load, Red for Heavy Load, or
              increasing the size of the font when it reaches an encumbered level.

              Something Visually Eye Catching. We already have enough pop up dialogs. If you want to go a little
              further we could add a message to the TO DO box, "Verify your equipment, your character is
              encumbered* or something akin. We have so many new avenues, like that summary screen has room for a
              Change to Draw Attention to being encumbered.

              Cheers,

              On 3/8/2012 5:33 AM, FerretDave wrote:
              > Perhaps we want the load display enhancing to make this sort of thing more obvious?
              >
              > What if, when you add a piece of equipment, if this pushes you from light to medium, or medium to heavy, a dialog pops up warning you?
              >
              > A similar 'congrats!' on removing equipment and dropping a level would be amusing too :-)
              >
              > Cheers
              >
              > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <nylanfs@...> wrote:
              >> PFS, make different equipment sets for different situations.
              >>
              >> --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "pfsgamer" <losttrader2000@> wrote:
              >>> Oh my! You are correct and I should have caught that - I am frequently swapping equipment because of the load limit.
              >>> Thank you! Sorry for the fuss!

            • UnclePete
              Message 6 of 23 , Mar 8, 2012
                Encumbrance information is already displayed in the panel that shows
                Equipment Info as 'LOAD' including the encumbrance levels, which is very
                useful. Colour coding it may be useful, but I can't see any great benefit.

                This info is really only useful when changing a character and it's being
                displayed where it needs to be, so I'd be a bit reluctant to see my
                character sheet further cluttered with stuff I don't need to refer to
                constantly during a gaming session.

                Pete

                On 03/09/2012 02:26 AM, Andrew wrote:

                > In at least the pdf version, you get an encumbrance box that should
                > declare your encumbrance load -
                > it appears under the Base Attack Bonus box. It also only appears if
                > the character is encumbered.
                >
                > I'm not sure I'd appreciate a pop up box while I'm work with the
                > Character. I'd be more inclined to
                > find other methods, like turning the Weight Yellow for Medium Load,
                > Red for Heavy Load, or
                > increasing the size of the font when it reaches an encumbered level.
                >
                > Something Visually Eye Catching. We already have enough pop up
                > dialogs. If you want to go a little
                > further we could add a message to the TO DO box, "Verify your
                > equipment, your character is
                > encumbered* or something akin. We have so many new avenues, like that
                > summary screen has room for a
                > Change to Draw Attention to being encumbered.
                >
                > Cheers,
                >
                > On 3/8/2012 5:33 AM, FerretDave wrote:
                > > Perhaps we want the load display enhancing to make this sort of
                > thing more obvious?
                > >
                > > What if, when you add a piece of equipment, if this pushes you from
                > light to medium, or medium to heavy, a dialog pops up warning you?
                > >
                > > A similar 'congrats!' on removing equipment and dropping a level
                > would be amusing too :-)
                > >
                > > Cheers
                > >
                > > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>,
                > "Paul" <nylanfs@...> wrote:
                > >> PFS, make different equipment sets for different situations.
                > >>
                > >> --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>,
                > frequently swapping equipment because of the load limit.

                > problem: equipping the darkwood buckler is just enough to put the
                > character into Medium encumbrance.

                > category.

                > the thing was because she was told it did not produce any penalties,
                > and did not interfere with the bow.

                > datasets are

                > a rogue
                > 0. Why is

                > while
                > bow, which
                > the cost

                > > PCGen List File Help:
                > >
                > > PCGen Experimental:
                > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                > >

                > --
                > Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
                > Data 2nd, Docs Tamarin, OS Lemur
                > Unique Title "The Torturer of PCGen"

              • FerretDave
                Message 7 of 23 , Mar 9, 2012
                  Greetings,

                  --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, UnclePete <uncle@...> wrote:

                  > Encumbrance information is already displayed in the panel that shows
                  > Equipment Info as 'LOAD' including the encumbrance levels, which is very
                  > useful. Colour coding it may be useful, but I can't see any great benefit.

                  You're not the first person to overlook encumberance being the cause of 'odd' skill penalties, so making this more obvious in the GUI may be helpful.

                  > This info is really only useful when changing a character

                  Though knowing during a game that adding/removing some items/loot will change your encumberance is often handy.

                  > and it's being
                  > displayed where it needs to be, so I'd be a bit reluctant to see my
                  > character sheet further cluttered with stuff I don't need to refer to

                  Encumberance is just a couple of lines on the OS, at the bottom of your equipment list is a short summary indicating weight allowances for each level.

                  > constantly during a gaming session.
                  >
                  > Pete
                  >

                  > On 03/09/2012 02:26 AM, Andrew wrote:
                  > >
                  > > In at least the pdf version, you get an encumbrance box that should
                  > > declare your encumbrance load -
                  > > it appears under the Base Attack Bonus box. It also only appears if
                  > > the character is encumbered.
                  > >
                  > > I'm not sure I'd appreciate a pop up box while I'm work with the
                  > > Character. I'd be more inclined to
                  > > find other methods, like turning the Weight Yellow for Medium Load,
                  > > Red for Heavy Load, or
                  > > increasing the size of the font when it reaches an encumbered level.
                  > >
                  > > Something Visually Eye Catching. We already have enough pop up
                  > > dialogs. If you want to go a little
                  > > further we could add a message to the TO DO box, "Verify your
                  > > equipment, your character is
                  > > encumbered* or something akin. We have so many new avenues, like that

                  I like the idea of this being in the 'TODO box'.

                  Message 8 of 23 , Mar 10, 2012
                    I probably should mention that I do tend to glance at the total weight -- but for some reason the font in PCGen window gets cut off... and the 6 truly looked like 5, which would have been ok.

                    Did not notice that IGHT changed to EDIUM.
                    Have not investigated the font display as it has not been a priority....

                    Curious: is selective BOLD possible in this area, for when encumbrance changes? Just on certain words/numbers.

                    Message 9 of 23 , Mar 11, 2012
                      Greetings,
                      Enhancing this has already been requested:
                      http://jira.pcgen.org/browse/CODE-1363

                      Cheers