Re: Darkwood Buckler

  • pfsgamer
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 7, 2012
      Thanks, Doug. Found & deleted the Ultimate Combat folder.

      Darkwood Buckler stills damages skills.
      I agree it should not bash, but that is ignorable.
      Skills failing - not ignorable... :-)

      Added Inner Sea Primer to pick up the Azlanti language. So 4 sources: Core, APG, Guide, ISP. It may even load w/o ISP once the language has been selected, I don't know.

      She is level 6 so dropping these would be problematic to the rest of her feats & traits... :-)

      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Doug Limmer <adventure@...> wrote:

      > I tried this out.
      >
      > First, a couple of caveats:
      > 1. I'm assuming you mean 5.17.10 rather than 5.1.7.10. :-)
      > 2. I'm further assuming PFS Core means Pathfinder Core Rulebook; there
      > may be some Pathfinder Society Core I'm unaware of.
      > 3. My version of 5.17.10 didn't have an Ultimate Combat selection
      > available. Thus, I didn't select it.
      > 4. I'm assuming "archer" is more a description of what the character
      > wants to be, rather than some Archetype or other ability I'm unfamiliar
      > with.
      >
      > The short version: I'm not seeing a problem. Run PCGen without that
      > Ultimate Combat loaded (maybe it's messing up the buckler?) and try again.
      >
      > I made a Neutral Good half-elf rogue level 1, 25 point buy,
      > 14/16/14/14/10/10 stats; skills, feats, class abilities, etc. left
      > unchosen, no traits, and added buckler, darkwood buckler, and shortbow
      > to the inventory. Shortbow equipped. With the regular buckler
      > equipped, I get the expected -1 to skills and attack with the bow[1].
      > With the darkwood buckler equipped, I don't get any modifier to skills
      > and attack with the bow.
      >
      > Now, I *do* get a shield bash with the darkwood buckler, which suggests
      > the program is treating it like a light shield for bashing purposes, but
      > I am still able to equip both the shortbow (two-handed) and the darkwood
      > buckler at the same time. Maybe the darkwood buckler is being treated
      > as both?
      >
      > [1]This is the -1 for being non-proficient with the buckler, not a -1
      > for having a buckler on the same arm as the weapon, since bucklers don't
      > give that penalty for bows and crossbows.
      >
      > DS/DL
      >
      > On 3/7/2012 9:29 AM, pfsgamer wrote:
      > >
      > > PCGen 5.1.7.10 w/ PFS Core, APG, Guide 4.0, and Ultimate Combat.
      > > The Darkwood Buckler is from the Core rulebook.
      > >
      > > Thanks for looking into this. The only reason the character got the
      > > thing was because she was told it did not produce any penalties, and
      > > did not interfere with the bow.
      > >
      > > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>, Doug
      > > Limmer <adventure@> wrote:
      > >
      > > > @pfsgamer: What version of PCGen are you using, and what datasets are
      > > > you loading? (If you gave this information earlier, I've lost it.)
      > > >
      > > > DS/DL

      > > Why is

    • Eric C Smith
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 7, 2012
        Hi pfsgamer,

        What are your referring to when you say "Guide"?

        Core, APG, and ISP are obvious but Guide, by itself, means nothing . . .

        Maredudd

        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 7, 2012
          Guide to Organized Play 4.0 -- Required for PFS! :-)

          > Hi pfsgamer,
          >
          > What are your referring to when you say "Guide"?
          >
          > Core, APG, and ISP are obvious but Guide, by itself, means nothing . . .
          >
          > Maredudd
          >
          > On Mar 7, 2012, at 1:58 PM, pfsgamer wrote:
          >
          > > Thanks, Doug. Found & deleted the Ultimate Combat folder.
          > >
          > > Darkwood Buckler stills damages skills.
          > > I agree it should not bash, but that is ignorable.
          > > Skills failing - not ignorable... :-)
          > >
          > > Added Inner Sea Primer to pick up the Azlanti language. So 4 sources: Core, APG, Guide, ISP. It may even load w/o ISP once the language has been selected, I don't know.
          > >
          > > She is level 6 so dropping these would be problematic to the rest of her feats & traits... :-)

        • Distant Scholar
          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 7, 2012
            pfsgamer sent me the character file, and I discovered the problem: equipping the darkwood buckler is just enough to put the character into Medium encumbrance.

            Yes, the character was within 2.5 lbs of the Medium encumbrance category.

            DS/DL

            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "pfsgamer" <losttrader2000@...> wrote:

            > PCGen 5.1.7.10 w/ PFS Core, APG, Guide 4.0, and Ultimate Combat.
            > The Darkwood Buckler is from the Core rulebook.
            >
            > Thanks for looking into this. The only reason the character got the thing was because she was told it did not produce any penalties, and did not interfere with the bow.
            >
            > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Doug Limmer <adventure@> wrote:
            >
            > > @pfsgamer: What version of PCGen are you using, and what datasets are
            > > you loading? (If you gave this information earlier, I've lost it.)
            > >
            > > DS/DL

            > > > That means you don't get penalties to attack when using the bow, which
            > > > has nothing to do with using skills. The armor check penalty still
            > > > applies to alls Strength- and Dexterity-based skills. Such is the cost
            > > > for using it non-proficiently.
            > > >
            > > > Stefan.

          • pfsgamer
            Message 5 of 23 , Mar 7, 2012
              Oh my! You are correct and I should have caught that - I am frequently swapping equipment because of the load limit.
              Thank you! Sorry for the fuss!

              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Distant Scholar" <adventure@...> wrote:

              > pfsgamer sent me the character file, and I discovered the problem: equipping the darkwood buckler is just enough to put the character into Medium encumbrance.
              >
              > Yes, the character was within 2.5 lbs of the Medium encumbrance category.
              >
              > DS/DL
              >
              > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "pfsgamer" <losttrader2000@> wrote:
              > >
              > > PCGen 5.1.7.10 w/ PFS Core, APG, Guide 4.0, and Ultimate Combat.
              > > The Darkwood Buckler is from the Core rulebook.
              > >
              > > Thanks for looking into this. The only reason the character got the thing was because she was told it did not produce any penalties, and did not interfere with the bow.
              > >
              > > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Doug Limmer <adventure@> wrote:
              > >
              > > > @pfsgamer: What version of PCGen are you using, and what datasets are
              > > > you loading? (If you gave this information earlier, I've lost it.)
              > > >
              > > > DS/DL

            • Paul
              Message 6 of 23 , Mar 7, 2012
                PFS, make different equipment sets for different situations.

                --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "pfsgamer" <losttrader2000@...> wrote:

                > Oh my! You are correct and I should have caught that - I am frequently swapping equipment because of the load limit.
                > Thank you! Sorry for the fuss!
                >
                > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Distant Scholar" <adventure@> wrote:
                > >

                > > pfsgamer sent me the character file, and I discovered the problem: equipping the darkwood buckler is just enough to put the character into Medium encumbrance.
                > >
                > > Yes, the character was within 2.5 lbs of the Medium encumbrance category.
                > >
                > > DS/DL
                > >
                > > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "pfsgamer" <losttrader2000@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > PCGen 5.1.7.10 w/ PFS Core, APG, Guide 4.0, and Ultimate Combat.
                > > > The Darkwood Buckler is from the Core rulebook.
                > > >
                > > > Thanks for looking into this. The only reason the character got the thing was because she was told it did not produce any penalties, and did not interfere with the bow.

              • FerretDave
                Message 7 of 23 , Mar 8, 2012
                  Perhaps we want the load display enhancing to make this sort of thing more obvious?

                  What if, when you add a piece of equipment, if this pushes you from light to medium, or medium to heavy, a dialog pops up warning you?

                  A similar 'congrats!' on removing equipment and dropping a level would be amusing too :-)

                  Cheers

                  Message 8 of 23 , Mar 8, 2012
                    In at least the pdf version, you get an encumbrance box that should declare your encumbrance load -
                    it appears under the Base Attack Bonus box. It also only appears if the character is encumbered.

                    I'm not sure I'd appreciate a pop up box while I'm work with the Character. I'd be more inclined to
                    find other methods, like turning the Weight Yellow for Medium Load, Red for Heavy Load, or
                    increasing the size of the font when it reaches an encumbered level.

                    Something Visually Eye Catching. We already have enough pop up dialogs. If you want to go a little
                    further we could add a message to the TO DO box, "Verify your equipment, your character is
                    encumbered* or something akin. We have so many new avenues, like that summary screen has room for a
                    Change to Draw Attention to being encumbered.

                    Cheers,

                    On 3/8/2012 5:33 AM, FerretDave wrote:
                    > Perhaps we want the load display enhancing to make this sort of thing more obvious?
                    >
                    > What if, when you add a piece of equipment, if this pushes you from light to medium, or medium to heavy, a dialog pops up warning you?
                    >
                    > A similar 'congrats!' on removing equipment and dropping a level would be amusing too :-)
                    >
                    > Cheers
                    >
                    > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <nylanfs@...> wrote:
                    >> PFS, make different equipment sets for different situations.
                    >>
                    >> --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "pfsgamer" <losttrader2000@> wrote:
                    >>> Oh my! You are correct and I should have caught that - I am frequently swapping equipment because of the load limit.
                    >>> Thank you! Sorry for the fuss!

                  • UnclePete
                    Message 9 of 23 , Mar 8, 2012
                      Encumbrance information is already displayed in the panel that shows
                      Equipment Info as 'LOAD' including the encumbrance levels, which is very
                      useful. Colour coding it may be useful, but I can't see any great benefit.

                      This info is really only useful when changing a character and it's being
                      displayed where it needs to be, so I'd be a bit reluctant to see my
                      character sheet further cluttered with stuff I don't need to refer to
                      constantly during a gaming session.

                      Pete

                      On 03/09/2012 02:26 AM, Andrew wrote:

                      > In at least the pdf version, you get an encumbrance box that should
                      > declare your encumbrance load -
                      > it appears under the Base Attack Bonus box. It also only appears if
                      > the character is encumbered.
                      >
                      > I'm not sure I'd appreciate a pop up box while I'm work with the
                      > Character. I'd be more inclined to
                      > find other methods, like turning the Weight Yellow for Medium Load,
                      > Red for Heavy Load, or
                      > increasing the size of the font when it reaches an encumbered level.
                      >
                      > Something Visually Eye Catching. We already have enough pop up
                      > dialogs. If you want to go a little
                      > further we could add a message to the TO DO box, "Verify your
                      > equipment, your character is
                      > encumbered* or something akin. We have so many new avenues, like that
                      > summary screen has room for a
                      > Change to Draw Attention to being encumbered.
                      >
                      > Cheers,
                      >
                      > On 3/8/2012 5:33 AM, FerretDave wrote:
                      > > Perhaps we want the load display enhancing to make this sort of
                      > thing more obvious?
                      > >
                      > > What if, when you add a piece of equipment, if this pushes you from
                      > light to medium, or medium to heavy, a dialog pops up warning you?
                      > >
                      > > A similar 'congrats!' on removing equipment and dropping a level
                      > would be amusing too :-)
                      > >
                      > > Cheers
                      > >
                      > > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>,
                      > "Paul" <nylanfs@...> wrote:
                      > >> PFS, make different equipment sets for different situations.
                      > >>
                      > >> --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>,
                      > frequently swapping equipment because of the load limit.

                      > problem: equipping the darkwood buckler is just enough to put the
                      > character into Medium encumbrance.

                      > category.

                      > the thing was because she was told it did not produce any penalties,
                      > and did not interfere with the bow.

                      > datasets are

                      > a rogue
                      > 0. Why is

                      > while
                      > bow, which
                      > the cost

                      > > PCGen List File Help:
                      > >
                      > > PCGen Experimental:
                      > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                      > >

                      > --
                      > Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
                      > Data 2nd, Docs Tamarin, OS Lemur
                      > Unique Title "The Torturer of PCGen"

                    • FerretDave
                      Message 10 of 23 , Mar 9, 2012
                        Greetings,

                        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, UnclePete <uncle@...> wrote:

                        > Encumbrance information is already displayed in the panel that shows
                        > Equipment Info as 'LOAD' including the encumbrance levels, which is very
                        > useful. Colour coding it may be useful, but I can't see any great benefit.

                        You're not the first person to overlook encumberance being the cause of 'odd' skill penalties, so making this more obvious in the GUI may be helpful.

                        > This info is really only useful when changing a character

                        Though knowing during a game that adding/removing some items/loot will change your encumberance is often handy.

                        > and it's being
                        > displayed where it needs to be, so I'd be a bit reluctant to see my
                        > character sheet further cluttered with stuff I don't need to refer to

                        Encumberance is just a couple of lines on the OS, at the bottom of your equipment list is a short summary indicating weight allowances for each level.

                        > constantly during a gaming session.
                        >
                        > Pete
                        >

                        > On 03/09/2012 02:26 AM, Andrew wrote:
                        > >
                        > > In at least the pdf version, you get an encumbrance box that should
                        > > declare your encumbrance load -
                        > > it appears under the Base Attack Bonus box. It also only appears if
                        > > the character is encumbered.
                        > >
                        > > I'm not sure I'd appreciate a pop up box while I'm work with the
                        > > Character. I'd be more inclined to
                        > > find other methods, like turning the Weight Yellow for Medium Load,
                        > > Red for Heavy Load, or
                        > > increasing the size of the font when it reaches an encumbered level.
                        > >
                        > > Something Visually Eye Catching. We already have enough pop up
                        > > dialogs. If you want to go a little
                        > > further we could add a message to the TO DO box, "Verify your
                        > > equipment, your character is
                        > > encumbered* or something akin. We have so many new avenues, like that

                        I like the idea of this being in the 'TODO box'.

                        Message 11 of 23 , Mar 10, 2012
                          I probably should mention that I do tend to glance at the total weight -- but for some reason the font in PCGen window gets cut off... and the 6 truly looked like 5, which would have been ok.

                          Did not notice that IGHT changed to EDIUM.
                          Have not investigated the font display as it has not been a priority....

                          Curious: is selective BOLD possible in this area, for when encumbrance changes? Just on certain words/numbers.

                          Message 12 of 23 , Mar 11, 2012
                            Greetings,
                            Enhancing this has already been requested:
                            http://jira.pcgen.org/browse/CODE-1363

                            Cheers