Re: {Disarmed} Re: [pcgen] Re: Great job with the new version and dropbox...

  • UnclePete
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 6, 2012
      Hi,

      Sorry for butting in, but my experiences with cross-platform, Dropbox
      and PCGen may be of use.

      I use linux systems by preference (laptop and Desktop), but other
      members of the groups I play in use various versions of linux, Windows
      or Macs. Dropbox is used to co-ordinate between machines/people.

      The bottom line is that linux, Windows and Mac machines all happily
      share character & portrait directories via Dropbox without problem and
      I've recently started sharing homebrew datasets the same way.

      The advice I give Windows users is to NOT use the win installer, but to
      expand the .zip file into a suitable directory (OK, folder, dammit).
      This way, it should be possible to use Dropbox to share the whole PCGen
      - just unzip it into Dropbox. However, I'd probably recommend using the
      scenario I use (ie unzip onto local hard disk on each machine, then
      point the character & portrait files at Dropbox). That way, you can
      tweak the bat/shell file to better suit the machine you're running on.

      Pete