Darkwood Buckler

  • pfsgamer
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 6, 2012
      I noticed today that an archer (rogue) using a buckler (non-proficient) has her skills trashed. This was NOT the case before, and does not make sense. Especially since I was told a rogue can equip a buckler without penalty. The AC check should be 0. Why is it suddenly affecting SKILLs?

      from the book: "You can use a bow or crossbow without penalty while carrying it."

      5.1.7.10 Win7 64-bit
    • Stefan Radermacher
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 6, 2012
        On 06.03.2012 18:03, pfsgamer wrote:
        > I noticed today that an archer (rogue) using a buckler
        > (non-proficient) has her skills trashed. This was NOT the case
        > before, and does not make sense. Especially since I was told a rogue
        > can equip a buckler without penalty. The AC check should be 0. Why is
        > it suddenly affecting SKILLs?
        >
        > from the book: "You can use a bow or crossbow without penalty while
        > carrying it."

        That means you don't get penalties to attack when using the bow, which
        has nothing to do with using skills. The armor check penalty still
        applies to alls Strength- and Dexterity-based skills. Such is the cost
        for using it non-proficiently.

        Stefan.
      • Doug Limmer
        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 6, 2012
          A darkwood buckler has a 0 Armor Check penalty, so shouldn't penalize
          skills. (It also might technically be a light shield, but that's a
          completely different matter.)

          As a separate penalty, a regular buckler gives -1 to attack rolls to
          weapons held in the same hand, except for bows and crossbows, but you
          lose the buckler's AC bonus while doing so.

          @pfsgamer: What version of PCGen are you using, and what datasets are
          you loading? (If you gave this information earlier, I've lost it.)

          DS/DL

          On 3/6/2012 12:37 PM, Stefan Radermacher wrote:

          > On 06.03.2012 18:03, pfsgamer wrote:
          > > I noticed today that an archer (rogue) using a buckler
          > > (non-proficient) has her skills trashed. This was NOT the case
          > > before, and does not make sense. Especially since I was told a rogue
          > > can equip a buckler without penalty. The AC check should be 0. Why is
          > > it suddenly affecting SKILLs?
          > >
          > > from the book: "You can use a bow or crossbow without penalty while
          > > carrying it."
          >
          > That means you don't get penalties to attack when using the bow, which
          > has nothing to do with using skills. The armor check penalty still
          > applies to alls Strength- and Dexterity-based skills. Such is the cost
          > for using it non-proficiently.
          >
          > Stefan.

        • Susan Dittmar
          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 7, 2012
            Quoting Doug Limmer (adventure@...):
            > A darkwood buckler has a 0 Armor Check penalty, so shouldn't penalize
            > skills. (It also might technically be a light shield, but that's a
            > completely different matter.)

            Stop! Armor Check penalty is the penalty which applies even if you are
            proficient with the kind of armor. There is an additional (in this case for
            sure, I don't know if the penalties stack) Armor Check penalty for using
            pieces of armor without the proficiency, which is equal to the armor (or
            shield) bonus granted by the piece of armor.

            Hope that helps,

            Susan
          • Doug Limmer
            Message 5 of 23 , Mar 7, 2012
              On 3/7/2012 4:24 AM, Susan Dittmar wrote:

              > Stop!

              Hammer Time!

              > Armor Check penalty is the penalty which applies even if you are
              > proficient with the kind of armor. There is an additional (in this
              > case for
              > sure, I don't know if the penalties stack) Armor Check penalty for using
              > pieces of armor without the proficiency, which is equal to the armor (or
              > shield) bonus granted by the piece of armor.

              Do you have a source for that? I've never heard of such a rule.

              DS/DL

            • David R. Bender
              Message 6 of 23 , Mar 7, 2012
                I have not been following this conversation completely, but from the
                PRD, look under Normal: (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/feats.html)

                Armor Proficiency, Light (Combat)

                You are skilled at wearing light armor.

                *Benefit:* When you wear a type of armor with which you are proficient,
                the armor check penalty for that armor applies only to Dexterity
                <http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/gettingStarted.html#_dexterity>- and
                Strength-based skill checks.

                *Normal:* A character who is wearing armor with which he is not
                proficient applies its armor check penalty to attack rolls and to all
                skill checks that involve moving.

                *Special:* All characters except monks, sorcerers, and wizards
                automatically have Light Armor Proficiency as a bonus feat. They need
                not select it.

                -- david
                Papa.DRB

                My better half and me (jpg)

                On 3/7/2012 5:48 AM, Doug Limmer wrote:
                > On 3/7/2012 4:24 AM, Susan Dittmar wrote:
                >> Stop!
                >>
                > Hammer Time!
                >> Armor Check penalty is the penalty which applies even if you are
                >> proficient with the kind of armor. There is an additional (in this
                >> case for
                >> sure, I don't know if the penalties stack) Armor Check penalty for using
                >> pieces of armor without the proficiency, which is equal to the armor (or
                >> shield) bonus granted by the piece of armor.
                >>
                > Do you have a source for that? I've never heard of such a rule.
                >
                > DS/DL

              • Eric C Smith
                Message 7 of 23 , Mar 7, 2012
                  Hi Folks!

                  I've been following this thread and am leaning in pfsgamer's and Doug's direction on this one.

                  Given David's included info below, and adding the effect on the Armor Check Penalty that Darkwood has on the buckler it looks to me like the ACP for a Darkwood Buckler is indeed zero. (Relevant part of the Darkwood description included below.)

                  "Darkwood: . . . The armor check penalty of a darkwood shield is lessened by 2 compared to an ordinary shield of its type."

                  A Buckler as a ACP of -1 and when you apply the Darkwood effect, and realizing that you can't reduce the penalty below zero, a Darkwood Buckler has an ACP of zero. It is clear that the ACP DOES effect the STR and DEX based skill checks whether the character is proficient with the buckler or not, but I can't find a reference that states that the bonuses granted by special materials is not applied to the ACP when making such checks. The references siply state that the ACP id modified, in the case of the Darkwood material, and that the ACP is applied to the skill checks.

                  As for Susan's assertion that non-proficiency in armor or shield leads to an additional ACP equal to the armor bonus, I can't find any reference to that. Susan, can you point me to the reference?

                  Maredudd

                  On Mar 7, 2012, at 6:42 AM, David R. Bender wrote:

                  > I have not been following this conversation completely, but from the
                  > PRD, look under Normal: (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/feats.html)
                  >
                  > Armor Proficiency, Light (Combat)
                  >
                  > You are skilled at wearing light armor.
                  >
                  > *Benefit:* When you wear a type of armor with which you are proficient,
                  > the armor check penalty for that armor applies only to Dexterity
                  > <http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/gettingStarted.html#_dexterity>- and
                  > Strength-based skill checks.
                  >
                  > *Normal:* A character who is wearing armor with which he is not
                  > proficient applies its armor check penalty to attack rolls and to all
                  > skill checks that involve moving.
                  >
                  > *Special:* All characters except monks, sorcerers, and wizards
                  > automatically have Light Armor Proficiency as a bonus feat. They need
                  > not select it.
                  >
                  > -- david
                  > Papa.DRB
                  >
                  > My better half and me (jpg)

                  > On 3/7/2012 5:48 AM, Doug Limmer wrote:
                  > > On 3/7/2012 4:24 AM, Susan Dittmar wrote:
                  > >> Stop!
                  > >>
                  > > Hammer Time!
                  > >> Armor Check penalty is the penalty which applies even if you are
                  > >> proficient with the kind of armor. There is an additional (in this
                  > >> case for
                  > >> sure, I don't know if the penalties stack) Armor Check penalty for using
                  > >> pieces of armor without the proficiency, which is equal to the armor (or
                  > >> shield) bonus granted by the piece of armor.
                  > >>
                  > > Do you have a source for that? I've never heard of such a rule.
                  > >
                  > > DS/DL

                  > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Susan Dittmar
                  Message 8 of 23 , Mar 7, 2012
                    Quoting Eric C Smith (maredudd@...):
                    > As for Susan's assertion that non-proficiency in armor or shield leads to
                    > an additional ACP equal to the armor bonus, I can't find any reference to
                    > that. Susan, can you point me to the reference?

                    I can't. My memory has failed me. To my knowledge, there is no such
                    additional armor check penalty. Teaches me to check with the sources
                    *before* I post.

                    Susan
                  • pfsgamer
                    Message 9 of 23 , Mar 7, 2012
                      PCGen 5.1.7.10 w/ PFS Core, APG, Guide 4.0, and Ultimate Combat.
                      The Darkwood Buckler is from the Core rulebook.

                      Thanks for looking into this. The only reason the character got the thing was because she was told it did not produce any penalties, and did not interfere with the bow.

                      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Doug Limmer <adventure@...> wrote:

                      > @pfsgamer: What version of PCGen are you using, and what datasets are
                      > you loading? (If you gave this information earlier, I've lost it.)
                      >
                      > DS/DL
                      >
                      > On 3/6/2012 12:37 PM, Stefan Radermacher wrote:
                      > >
                      > > On 06.03.2012 18:03, pfsgamer wrote:
                      > > > I noticed today that an archer (rogue) using a buckler
                      > > > (non-proficient) has her skills trashed. This was NOT the case
                      > > > before, and does not make sense. Especially since I was told a rogue
                      > > > can equip a buckler without penalty. The AC check should be 0. Why is
                      > > > it suddenly affecting SKILLs?
                      > > >
                      > > > from the book: "You can use a bow or crossbow without penalty while
                      > > > carrying it."
                      > >
                      > > That means you don't get penalties to attack when using the bow, which
                      > > has nothing to do with using skills. The armor check penalty still
                      > > applies to alls Strength- and Dexterity-based skills. Such is the cost
                      > > for using it non-proficiently.
                      > >
                      > > Stefan.

                    • Doug Limmer
                      Message 10 of 23 , Mar 7, 2012
                        I tried this out.

                        First, a couple of caveats:
                        1. I'm assuming you mean 5.17.10 rather than 5.1.7.10. :-)
                        2. I'm further assuming PFS Core means Pathfinder Core Rulebook; there
                        may be some Pathfinder Society Core I'm unaware of.
                        3. My version of 5.17.10 didn't have an Ultimate Combat selection
                        available. Thus, I didn't select it.
                        4. I'm assuming "archer" is more a description of what the character
                        wants to be, rather than some Archetype or other ability I'm unfamiliar
                        with.

                        The short version: I'm not seeing a problem. Run PCGen without that
                        Ultimate Combat loaded (maybe it's messing up the buckler?) and try again.

                        I made a Neutral Good half-elf rogue level 1, 25 point buy,
                        14/16/14/14/10/10 stats; skills, feats, class abilities, etc. left
                        unchosen, no traits, and added buckler, darkwood buckler, and shortbow
                        to the inventory. Shortbow equipped. With the regular buckler
                        equipped, I get the expected -1 to skills and attack with the bow[1].
                        With the darkwood buckler equipped, I don't get any modifier to skills
                        and attack with the bow.

                        Now, I *do* get a shield bash with the darkwood buckler, which suggests
                        the program is treating it like a light shield for bashing purposes, but
                        I am still able to equip both the shortbow (two-handed) and the darkwood
                        buckler at the same time. Maybe the darkwood buckler is being treated
                        as both?

                        [1]This is the -1 for being non-proficient with the buckler, not a -1
                        for having a buckler on the same arm as the weapon, since bucklers don't
                        give that penalty for bows and crossbows.

                        DS/DL

                        On 3/7/2012 9:29 AM, pfsgamer wrote:

                        > PCGen 5.1.7.10 w/ PFS Core, APG, Guide 4.0, and Ultimate Combat.
                        > The Darkwood Buckler is from the Core rulebook.
                        >
                        > Thanks for looking into this. The only reason the character got the
                        > thing was because she was told it did not produce any penalties, and
                        > did not interfere with the bow.
                        >
                        > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>, Doug
                        > Limmer <adventure@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > @pfsgamer: What version of PCGen are you using, and what datasets are
                        > > you loading? (If you gave this information earlier, I've lost it.)
                        > >
                        > > DS/DL

                        > Why is

                        > > > That means you don't get penalties to attack when using the bow, which
                        > > > has nothing to do with using skills. The armor check penalty still
                        > > > applies to alls Strength- and Dexterity-based skills. Such is the cost
                        > > > for using it non-proficiently.
                        > > >
                        > > > Stefan.

                      • UnclePete
                        Message 11 of 23 , Mar 7, 2012
                          I've been following this with some interest. As DM, I have had to remind
                          some players to reduce their AC if using a weapon or casting a spell
                          while wearing a buckler. From PCGen's point of view, equipping both a
                          weapon and a buckler at the same time is acceptable - the adjustment to
                          AC is a player's responsibility. However, allowing shield bash with a
                          buckler is wrong and needs fixing.

                          Pathfinder Core Rulebook, 5th printing, p150:
                          "In any case, if you use a weapon in your off hand, you lose the
                          buckler's AC bonus until your next turn. You can cast a spell with
                          somatic components using your shield arm, but you lose the buckler's AC
                          bonus until your next turn. You can't make a shield bash with a buckler."

                          This simple statement, however, has produced some robust discussion
                          about what constitutes weapon "use" and what is required to regain the
                          buckler AC. If anyone is interested in our house rules resulting from
                          these discussions, let me know and I'll be happy to share.

                          Pete

                          On 03/08/2012 02:13 AM, Doug Limmer wrote:

                          > I tried this out.
                          >
                          > First, a couple of caveats:
                          > 1. I'm assuming you mean 5.17.10 rather than 5.1.7.10. :-)
                          > 2. I'm further assuming PFS Core means Pathfinder Core Rulebook; there
                          > may be some Pathfinder Society Core I'm unaware of.
                          > 3. My version of 5.17.10 didn't have an Ultimate Combat selection
                          > available. Thus, I didn't select it.
                          > 4. I'm assuming "archer" is more a description of what the character
                          > wants to be, rather than some Archetype or other ability I'm unfamiliar
                          > with.
                          >
                          > The short version: I'm not seeing a problem. Run PCGen without that
                          > Ultimate Combat loaded (maybe it's messing up the buckler?) and try again.
                          >
                          > I made a Neutral Good half-elf rogue level 1, 25 point buy,
                          > 14/16/14/14/10/10 stats; skills, feats, class abilities, etc. left
                          > unchosen, no traits, and added buckler, darkwood buckler, and shortbow
                          > to the inventory. Shortbow equipped. With the regular buckler
                          > equipped, I get the expected -1 to skills and attack with the bow[1].
                          > With the darkwood buckler equipped, I don't get any modifier to skills
                          > and attack with the bow.
                          >
                          > Now, I *do* get a shield bash with the darkwood buckler, which suggests
                          > the program is treating it like a light shield for bashing purposes, but
                          > I am still able to equip both the shortbow (two-handed) and the darkwood
                          > buckler at the same time. Maybe the darkwood buckler is being treated
                          > as both?
                          >
                          > [1]This is the -1 for being non-proficient with the buckler, not a -1
                          > for having a buckler on the same arm as the weapon, since bucklers don't
                          > give that penalty for bows and crossbows.
                          >
                          > DS/DL
                          >
                          > On 3/7/2012 9:29 AM, pfsgamer wrote:
                          > >
                          > > PCGen 5.1.7.10 w/ PFS Core, APG, Guide 4.0, and Ultimate Combat.
                          > > The Darkwood Buckler is from the Core rulebook.
                          > >
                          > > Thanks for looking into this. The only reason the character got the
                          > > thing was because she was told it did not produce any penalties, and
                          > > did not interfere with the bow.
                          > >
                          > > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>
                          > <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>, Doug
                          > > Limmer <adventure@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > > @pfsgamer: What version of PCGen are you using, and what datasets are
                          > > > you loading? (If you gave this information earlier, I've lost it.)
                          > > >
                          > > > DS/DL

                          > rogue
                          > > Why is

                          > while

                          > which
                          > the cost

                        • pfsgamer
                          Message 12 of 23 , Mar 7, 2012
                            Thanks, Doug. Found & deleted the Ultimate Combat folder.

                            Darkwood Buckler stills damages skills.
                            I agree it should not bash, but that is ignorable.
                            Skills failing - not ignorable... :-)

                            Added Inner Sea Primer to pick up the Azlanti language. So 4 sources: Core, APG, Guide, ISP. It may even load w/o ISP once the language has been selected, I don't know.

                            She is level 6 so dropping these would be problematic to the rest of her feats & traits... :-)

                          • Eric C Smith
                            Message 13 of 23 , Mar 7, 2012
                              Hi pfsgamer,

                              What are your referring to when you say "Guide"?

                              Core, APG, and ISP are obvious but Guide, by itself, means nothing . . .

                              Maredudd

                              Message 14 of 23 , Mar 7, 2012
                                Guide to Organized Play 4.0 -- Required for PFS! :-)

                                > Hi pfsgamer,
                                >
                                > What are your referring to when you say "Guide"?
                                >
                                > Core, APG, and ISP are obvious but Guide, by itself, means nothing . . .
                                >
                                > Maredudd
                                >
                                > On Mar 7, 2012, at 1:58 PM, pfsgamer wrote:
                                >
                                > > Thanks, Doug. Found & deleted the Ultimate Combat folder.
                                > >
                                > > Darkwood Buckler stills damages skills.
                                > > I agree it should not bash, but that is ignorable.
                                > > Skills failing - not ignorable... :-)
                                > >
                                > > Added Inner Sea Primer to pick up the Azlanti language. So 4 sources: Core, APG, Guide, ISP. It may even load w/o ISP once the language has been selected, I don't know.
                                > >
                                > > She is level 6 so dropping these would be problematic to the rest of her feats & traits... :-)

                              • Distant Scholar
                                Message 15 of 23 , Mar 7, 2012
                                  pfsgamer sent me the character file, and I discovered the problem: equipping the darkwood buckler is just enough to put the character into Medium encumbrance.

                                  Yes, the character was within 2.5 lbs of the Medium encumbrance category.

                                  DS/DL

                                  --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "pfsgamer" <losttrader2000@...> wrote:

                                  > PCGen 5.1.7.10 w/ PFS Core, APG, Guide 4.0, and Ultimate Combat.
                                  > The Darkwood Buckler is from the Core rulebook.
                                  >
                                  > Thanks for looking into this. The only reason the character got the thing was because she was told it did not produce any penalties, and did not interfere with the bow.
                                  >
                                  > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Doug Limmer <adventure@> wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > @pfsgamer: What version of PCGen are you using, and what datasets are
                                  > > you loading? (If you gave this information earlier, I've lost it.)
                                  > >
                                  > > DS/DL

                                  > > > That means you don't get penalties to attack when using the bow, which
                                  > > > has nothing to do with using skills. The armor check penalty still
                                  > > > applies to alls Strength- and Dexterity-based skills. Such is the cost
                                  > > > for using it non-proficiently.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Stefan.

                                • pfsgamer
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Mar 7, 2012
                                    Oh my! You are correct and I should have caught that - I am frequently swapping equipment because of the load limit.
                                    Thank you! Sorry for the fuss!

                                    --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Distant Scholar" <adventure@...> wrote:

                                    > pfsgamer sent me the character file, and I discovered the problem: equipping the darkwood buckler is just enough to put the character into Medium encumbrance.
                                    >
                                    > Yes, the character was within 2.5 lbs of the Medium encumbrance category.
                                    >
                                    > DS/DL
                                    >
                                    > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "pfsgamer" <losttrader2000@> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > PCGen 5.1.7.10 w/ PFS Core, APG, Guide 4.0, and Ultimate Combat.
                                    > > The Darkwood Buckler is from the Core rulebook.
                                    > >
                                    > > Thanks for looking into this. The only reason the character got the thing was because she was told it did not produce any penalties, and did not interfere with the bow.
                                    > >
                                    > > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Doug Limmer <adventure@> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > > @pfsgamer: What version of PCGen are you using, and what datasets are
                                    > > > you loading? (If you gave this information earlier, I've lost it.)
                                    > > >
                                    > > > DS/DL

                                  • Paul
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Mar 7, 2012
                                      PFS, make different equipment sets for different situations.

                                      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "pfsgamer" <losttrader2000@...> wrote:

                                      > Oh my! You are correct and I should have caught that - I am frequently swapping equipment because of the load limit.
                                      > Thank you! Sorry for the fuss!
                                      >
                                      > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Distant Scholar" <adventure@> wrote:
                                      > >

                                      > > pfsgamer sent me the character file, and I discovered the problem: equipping the darkwood buckler is just enough to put the character into Medium encumbrance.
                                      > >
                                      > > Yes, the character was within 2.5 lbs of the Medium encumbrance category.
                                      > >
                                      > > DS/DL
                                      > >
                                      > > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "pfsgamer" <losttrader2000@> wrote:
                                      > > >
                                      > > > PCGen 5.1.7.10 w/ PFS Core, APG, Guide 4.0, and Ultimate Combat.
                                      > > > The Darkwood Buckler is from the Core rulebook.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Thanks for looking into this. The only reason the character got the thing was because she was told it did not produce any penalties, and did not interfere with the bow.

                                    • FerretDave
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Mar 8, 2012
                                        Perhaps we want the load display enhancing to make this sort of thing more obvious?

                                        What if, when you add a piece of equipment, if this pushes you from light to medium, or medium to heavy, a dialog pops up warning you?

                                        A similar 'congrats!' on removing equipment and dropping a level would be amusing too :-)

                                        Cheers

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Mar 8, 2012
                                          In at least the pdf version, you get an encumbrance box that should declare your encumbrance load -
                                          it appears under the Base Attack Bonus box. It also only appears if the character is encumbered.

                                          I'm not sure I'd appreciate a pop up box while I'm work with the Character. I'd be more inclined to
                                          find other methods, like turning the Weight Yellow for Medium Load, Red for Heavy Load, or
                                          increasing the size of the font when it reaches an encumbered level.

                                          Something Visually Eye Catching. We already have enough pop up dialogs. If you want to go a little
                                          further we could add a message to the TO DO box, "Verify your equipment, your character is
                                          encumbered* or something akin. We have so many new avenues, like that summary screen has room for a
                                          Change to Draw Attention to being encumbered.

                                          Cheers,

                                          On 3/8/2012 5:33 AM, FerretDave wrote:
                                          > Perhaps we want the load display enhancing to make this sort of thing more obvious?
                                          >
                                          > What if, when you add a piece of equipment, if this pushes you from light to medium, or medium to heavy, a dialog pops up warning you?
                                          >
                                          > A similar 'congrats!' on removing equipment and dropping a level would be amusing too :-)
                                          >
                                          > Cheers
                                          >
                                          > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <nylanfs@...> wrote:
                                          >> PFS, make different equipment sets for different situations.
                                          >>
                                          >> --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "pfsgamer" <losttrader2000@> wrote:
                                          >>> Oh my! You are correct and I should have caught that - I am frequently swapping equipment because of the load limit.
                                          >>> Thank you! Sorry for the fuss!

                                        • UnclePete
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Mar 8, 2012
                                            Encumbrance information is already displayed in the panel that shows
                                            Equipment Info as 'LOAD' including the encumbrance levels, which is very
                                            useful. Colour coding it may be useful, but I can't see any great benefit.

                                            This info is really only useful when changing a character and it's being
                                            displayed where it needs to be, so I'd be a bit reluctant to see my
                                            character sheet further cluttered with stuff I don't need to refer to
                                            constantly during a gaming session.

                                            Pete

                                            On 03/09/2012 02:26 AM, Andrew wrote:

                                            > In at least the pdf version, you get an encumbrance box that should
                                            > declare your encumbrance load -
                                            > it appears under the Base Attack Bonus box. It also only appears if
                                            > the character is encumbered.
                                            >
                                            > I'm not sure I'd appreciate a pop up box while I'm work with the
                                            > Character. I'd be more inclined to
                                            > find other methods, like turning the Weight Yellow for Medium Load,
                                            > Red for Heavy Load, or
                                            > increasing the size of the font when it reaches an encumbered level.
                                            >
                                            > Something Visually Eye Catching. We already have enough pop up
                                            > dialogs. If you want to go a little
                                            > further we could add a message to the TO DO box, "Verify your
                                            > equipment, your character is
                                            > encumbered* or something akin. We have so many new avenues, like that
                                            > summary screen has room for a
                                            > Change to Draw Attention to being encumbered.
                                            >
                                            > Cheers,
                                            >
                                            > On 3/8/2012 5:33 AM, FerretDave wrote:
                                            > > Perhaps we want the load display enhancing to make this sort of
                                            > thing more obvious?
                                            > >
                                            > > What if, when you add a piece of equipment, if this pushes you from
                                            > light to medium, or medium to heavy, a dialog pops up warning you?
                                            > >
                                            > > A similar 'congrats!' on removing equipment and dropping a level
                                            > would be amusing too :-)
                                            > >
                                            > > Cheers
                                            > >
                                            > > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>,
                                            > "Paul" <nylanfs@...> wrote:
                                            > >> PFS, make different equipment sets for different situations.
                                            > >>
                                            > >> --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>,
                                            > frequently swapping equipment because of the load limit.

                                            > problem: equipping the darkwood buckler is just enough to put the
                                            > character into Medium encumbrance.

                                            > category.

                                            > the thing was because she was told it did not produce any penalties,
                                            > and did not interfere with the bow.

                                            > datasets are

                                            > a rogue
                                            > 0. Why is

                                            > while
                                            > bow, which
                                            > the cost

                                            > > PCGen List File Help:
                                            > >
                                            > > PCGen Experimental:
                                            > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                                            > >

                                            > --
                                            > Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
                                            > Data 2nd, Docs Tamarin, OS Lemur
                                            > Unique Title "The Torturer of PCGen"

                                          • FerretDave
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Mar 9, 2012
                                              Greetings,

                                              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, UnclePete <uncle@...> wrote:

                                              > Encumbrance information is already displayed in the panel that shows
                                              > Equipment Info as 'LOAD' including the encumbrance levels, which is very
                                              > useful. Colour coding it may be useful, but I can't see any great benefit.

                                              You're not the first person to overlook encumberance being the cause of 'odd' skill penalties, so making this more obvious in the GUI may be helpful.

                                              > This info is really only useful when changing a character

                                              Though knowing during a game that adding/removing some items/loot will change your encumberance is often handy.

                                              > and it's being
                                              > displayed where it needs to be, so I'd be a bit reluctant to see my
                                              > character sheet further cluttered with stuff I don't need to refer to

                                              Encumberance is just a couple of lines on the OS, at the bottom of your equipment list is a short summary indicating weight allowances for each level.

                                              > constantly during a gaming session.
                                              >
                                              > Pete
                                              >

                                              > On 03/09/2012 02:26 AM, Andrew wrote:
                                              > >
                                              > > In at least the pdf version, you get an encumbrance box that should
                                              > > declare your encumbrance load -
                                              > > it appears under the Base Attack Bonus box. It also only appears if
                                              > > the character is encumbered.
                                              > >
                                              > > I'm not sure I'd appreciate a pop up box while I'm work with the
                                              > > Character. I'd be more inclined to
                                              > > find other methods, like turning the Weight Yellow for Medium Load,
                                              > > Red for Heavy Load, or
                                              > > increasing the size of the font when it reaches an encumbered level.
                                              > >
                                              > > Something Visually Eye Catching. We already have enough pop up
                                              > > dialogs. If you want to go a little
                                              > > further we could add a message to the TO DO box, "Verify your
                                              > > equipment, your character is
                                              > > encumbered* or something akin. We have so many new avenues, like that

                                              I like the idea of this being in the 'TODO box'.

                                              Message 22 of 23 , Mar 10, 2012
                                                I probably should mention that I do tend to glance at the total weight -- but for some reason the font in PCGen window gets cut off... and the 6 truly looked like 5, which would have been ok.

                                                Did not notice that IGHT changed to EDIUM.
                                                Have not investigated the font display as it has not been a priority....

                                                Curious: is selective BOLD possible in this area, for when encumbrance changes? Just on certain words/numbers.

                                                Message 23 of 23 , Mar 11, 2012
                                                  Greetings,
                                                  Enhancing this has already been requested:
                                                  http://jira.pcgen.org/browse/CODE-1363

                                                  Cheers