Re: [pcgen] Re: Great job with the new version and dropbox...

  • Doug Limmer
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 6, 2012
      On 3/4/2012 9:16 AM, FerretDave wrote:

      > What errors do you see? And what path are you using?

      I don't remember, and I don't remember. :-) My Ubuntu system is at
      work, and I'm on vacation this week. :-)

      A bit more seriously, I was doing this more as a proof-of-concept (can
      you do a Windows install into Dropbox and use the program on a Linux
      machine?); that laptop is slow enough that I wouldn't want to do any
      actual PCGen work on it. (Although, that new UI seems faster; maybe it
      wouldn't be too slow with that.)

      DJL

    • UnclePete
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 6, 2012

        Sorry for butting in, but my experiences with cross-platform, Dropbox
        and PCGen may be of use.

        I use linux systems by preference (laptop and Desktop), but other
        members of the groups I play in use various versions of linux, Windows
        or Macs. Dropbox is used to co-ordinate between machines/people.

        The bottom line is that linux, Windows and Mac machines all happily
        share character & portrait directories via Dropbox without problem and
        I've recently started sharing homebrew datasets the same way.

        The advice I give Windows users is to NOT use the win installer, but to
        expand the .zip file into a suitable directory (OK, folder, dammit).
        This way, it should be possible to use Dropbox to share the whole PCGen
        - just unzip it into Dropbox. However, I'd probably recommend using the
        scenario I use (ie unzip onto local hard disk on each machine, then
        point the character & portrait files at Dropbox). That way, you can
        tweak the bat/shell file to better suit the machine you're running on.

        Pete