How do I add a feat to an exisiting NPC Class?

  • Bubba
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 5, 2012
      I am attempting to make a Commoner NPC, and they get 2 feats, plus one Simple Weapon Proficiency (i.e. Spear or Dagger), but not the whole list of Simple Weapons.

      How would I add that to the existing class of Commoner, so I can correctly have it listed for future reference?

      I am new to PCGen, so just need a helpful nudge in the right direction. I have tried to search here on the forums, but it appears that the search function has been disabled.

      Thanks in advance, guys/gals!

      Soundwich
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 5, 2012
        Hi Bubba,

        Welcome to the pcgen community. Coding questions are best answered/asked over on our List File Help
        Group.

        That said, I'm likely the one to answer the question anyways - :P

        Which NPC class of Commoner are we asking about?
        I have several game modes (3e, 35e, Pathfinder, Modern, Gaslight, and quite a few more to be honest).

        So, is this something that is not coded according to the rules and I need to fix it, or is this a
        custom class you are making?

        Looking forward to your reply /follow up over on the List File Help.

        Cheers,

        On 3/5/2012 8:43 PM, Bubba wrote:
        > I am attempting to make a Commoner NPC, and they get 2 feats, plus one Simple Weapon Proficiency (i.e. Spear or Dagger), but not the whole list of Simple Weapons.
        >
        > How would I add that to the existing class of Commoner, so I can correctly have it listed for future reference?
        >
        > I am new to PCGen, so just need a helpful nudge in the right direction. I have tried to search here on the forums, but it appears that the search function has been disabled.
        >
        > Thanks in advance, guys/gals!
        >
        > Soundwich

      • Bubba
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 7, 2012
          Where do I join up for the "List File Help Group?" Is it another Yahoo Group I can join?

          I am referring to 3.5e, DMG pg. 108.

          It states, under Class Features: "Weapon and Armor Proficiency - The commoner is proficient with one simple weapon. He is not proficient with any other weapons, nor is he proficient with any type of armor or shields."

          I want to be able to allow this character to only have the one simple weapon feat, and thus be -4 with all other simple weapons.

          Is that even possible, I guess is the first question? If so, how would one go about doing this?

          Thanks in advance!!

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 7, 2012

            On 3/7/2012 8:41 PM, Bubba wrote:
            > Where do I join up for the "List File Help Group?" Is it another Yahoo Group I can join?

            The footer of these mail/posts has this nice handy link entry -

            Just follow the link, sign up. See you over there :)

            > I am referring to 3.5e, DMG pg. 108.
            >
            > It states, under Class Features: "Weapon and Armor Proficiency - The commoner is proficient with one simple weapon. He is not proficient with any other weapons, nor is he proficient with any type of armor or shields."
            >
            > I want to be able to allow this character to only have the one simple weapon feat, and thus be -4 with all other simple weapons.
            >
            > Is that even possible, I guess is the first question? If so, how would one go about doing this?

            Yes, that is possible. I'm wondering how that was overlooked. I shall rectify it.

            (Since this isn't the lst file help group, my answer is going to be a summary)
            I'd add a BONUS:ABILITYPOOL entry. You make your commoner, you'd select the One Simple Weapon you
            have access to. Simple enough.

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 7, 2012
              Great! Glad I could be of help. I joined the other list, as well.

              Thanks for the help.

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 7, 2012

                Here is the tracker -

                * DATA-532 <http://jira.pcgen.org/browse/DATA-532>

                NPC Commoner no longer has access to obtain a single Simple Weapon Proficiency by BONUSWEAPON
                <http://jira.pcgen.org/browse/DATA-532>

                And it's fixed, it'll be present in the new version.

                Also, prior to 5.17.11, you would access the single choice via the SA, Languages and Weapon profs
                Button on the Summary Page (Or Tab if you had the advanced mode selected in preferences).

                But due to the New UI, this button no longer exists, and the functionality that was part of the
                commoner is no longer present. As you weren't aware of it's existence, I think this tag and the set
                up was a poor design as it required the USER to know they needed to add it by another button. The
                current set up will now point you in the correct direction - A much nicer method in my opinion.

                So, thanks for bringing this to our attention. Again, it's been fixed, so you won't need to fix it,
                unless you want to have practice doing it yourself. I had to alter three files -
                Class, Abilities, and Abilitycategories.

                Cheers,

                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 8, 2012
                  Thanks for the help.

                  When are the new versions released?

                  I would like to get a look at what you changed, so I can try too make these changes myself. I have a bit of a programming background, albeit it's been a few years since I have done any coding.

                  I know this isn't exactly the appropriate group/list to chat about it, but we have gone this far...

                  Again, thanks for the help.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 8, 2012

                    On 3/8/2012 1:10 PM, Bubba wrote:
                    > Thanks for the help.
                    >
                    > When are the new versions released?

                    When it seems best to do so. Right now, the releases are based upon the UI work, and until the
                    Silverback of the Code team is happy that most of the bugs have been squashed and all the requested
                    features have been implemented, he won't want to do the next release. Plus, a few of the experienced
                    monkeys are able to run the cutting edge version (i.e. running with the latest fix or feature) and
                    able to give instant feedback.

                    > I would like to get a look at what you changed, so I can try too make these changes myself. I have a bit of a programming background, albeit it's been a few years since I have done any coding.

                    http://pcgen.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/pcgen/Trunk/pcgen/data/d20ogl/srd35/basics/

                    You can view the changes by that link and the three changed files are-
                    rsrd_abilities_class_base.lst
                    rsrd_ability_categories_core.lst
                    rsrd_classes_npc.lst

                    The revision is 16452.

                    > I know this isn't exactly the appropriate group/list to chat about it, but we have gone this far...

                    Oh, we're not talking about how to code things up, i.e. giving examples. I'm just saying that its
                    been fixed, and where you can look at them.

                    Cheers,

                    > Again, thanks for the help.

                    >> Hi,
                    >>
                    >> Here is the tracker -
                    >>
                    >> * DATA-532 <http://jira.pcgen.org/browse/DATA-532>
                    >>

                    >> NPC Commoner no longer has access to obtain a single Simple Weapon Proficiency by BONUSWEAPON
                    >> <http://jira.pcgen.org/browse/DATA-532>
                    >>

                    >> And it's fixed, it'll be present in the new version.
                    >>
                    >> Also, prior to 5.17.11, you would access the single choice via the SA, Languages and Weapon profs
                    >> Button on the Summary Page (Or Tab if you had the advanced mode selected in preferences).
                    >>
                    >> But due to the New UI, this button no longer exists, and the functionality that was part of the
                    >> commoner is no longer present. As you weren't aware of it's existence, I think this tag and the set
                    >> up was a poor design as it required the USER to know they needed to add it by another button. The
                    >> current set up will now point you in the correct direction - A much nicer method in my opinion.
                    >>
                    >> So, thanks for bringing this to our attention. Again, it's been fixed, so you won't need to fix it,
                    >> unless you want to have practice doing it yourself. I had to alter three files -
                    >> Class, Abilities, and Abilitycategories.
                    >>
                    >> Cheers,

                  • Bubba
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 8, 2012
                      _