A question and some feedback on 5.17.11

  • rogerwllco
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 3, 2012
      Greetings simians,

      I ran into a bug in 5.14.1, and checked if it still exists in 5.16.4 (It does) and 5.17.11 (It doesn't). I couldn't find it on the Jira site as something that got solved though.

      In the process I ended up using 5.17.11 and I have some initial feedback:
      - Looks are a lot better. I especially like the loading bar at the bottom replacing the intermittent busy cursor behaviour of previous versions. I think it would feel more like a character creator if a small summary of the character, with a portrait and a few stats, would always be visible.
      - If you use the random name generator, and you click on the "Given" button after generating a name (what is is supposed to do), I get the pronounciation (Which I think needs to be Pronunciation) overwriting the "Adjust name" (and what is that supposed to do?).
      - It would be nice that after saving a character the icon would be greyed out so you can see if the character has been changed since last save.
      - The "Edit" in the menu doesn't have a text when hovering the mouse over it.
      - When using the SRD 3.5, all magical items end up under MAGIC on the Inventory purchase tab. It would be very useful if magical rings would also show up under RING, etc.
      - The Inventory purchase tab no longer has different ordering options, only Type/Name.
      - It looks like custom items are only saved with the character, no longer under customsources, is this correct?

      It seems that the last issue also solved my problem, as in 5.14/5.16 I'm having the problem that if I create custom items with an SPROP field, the game copies the content of the SPROP field each time it loads. I can not reproduce this error with 5.17.11 because it apparently doesn't save custom items any more. If anyone would know a work around for this issue in 5.14/5.16 that would be appreciated. Now I need to delete and create all my custom items each time I start the program, if they have an SPROP field.

      I didn't explore 5.17 any further. I might have more feedback in the future.

      Cheers,

      RW.
    • rogerwllco
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 3, 2012
        I think I found a workaround: Create a custom item in a homebrew dataset in customsources instead of having PCGen try to do it for you.

        Cheers,

        RW.

        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 3, 2012

          Wait till you see the change log for 5.17.12 :P

          Speaking of which, I have 12 more bugs to submit (Yeah, I apparently summon the bugs to me). Good
          thing these are oddball corner cases that most average users won't find themselves.

          Let me reply in line for a little clarification though...

          On 3/3/2012 2:22 PM, rogerwllco wrote:
          > Greetings simians,
          >
          > I ran into a bug in 5.14.1, and checked if it still exists in 5.16.4 (It does) and 5.17.11 (It doesn't). I couldn't find it on the Jira site as something that got solved though.

          It may not exist in JIRA if it was pre-move to JIRA. 5.14 to 5.17 we were using Source Forge
          Trackers - if you can give me a summary or title you'd expect it to go by, I could track it down...
          though, you may just want to look at the production release notes - those usually contain every fix
          & feature added over an entire development cycle (5.16.0 is a production release, not sure if .1
          through .4 would continue to hold that).

          And as a user since 5.6 or so, (or was that when I started working in my own lst code...) I can
          attest a great MANY improvements and fixes have gone in leading up to 5.17.11.

          > In the process I ended up using 5.17.11 and I have some initial feedback:
          > - Looks are a lot better. I especially like the loading bar at the bottom replacing the intermittent busy cursor behaviour of previous versions. I think it would feel more like a character creator if a small summary of the character, with a portrait and a few stats, would always be visible.

          I'm feeling mentally challenged tonight, can you give a little more detail on what exactly you're
          expecting here?

          On the main summary tab - you have a summary and stats. (Portrait is on the Character Tab ;))
          Having something following you each tab would take up real estate that is normally required.

          > - If you use the random name generator, and you click on the "Given" button after generating a name (what is is supposed to do), I get the pronounciation (Which I think needs to be Pronunciation) overwriting the "Adjust name" (and what is that supposed to do?).

          I'd have to pull it up, I don't normally use the random generators unless I'm really bored. But if
          something doesn't seem to be working correct, do bring it up or better yet, add it to our Code
          Tracker (Bug if it's broken, Feature request if you want to add something).

          > - It would be nice that after saving a character the icon would be greyed out so you can see if the character has been changed since last save.

          Agree with ya here - We've been working towards making PCGen aware of when a character is actually
          "dirty" i.e. has had changes, and not. I believe there is already a tracker for it.

          > - The "Edit" in the menu doesn't have a text when hovering the mouse over it.

          Fixed in 5.17.12 - I just checked and there is a nice hover text.

          > - When using the SRD 3.5, all magical items end up under MAGIC on the Inventory purchase tab. It would be very useful if magical rings would also show up under RING, etc.

          That sounds odd - can you please tracker that? jira.pcgen.org (Reason we ask you to raise the bug
          - one, you get to see it's progress, two, you can provide steps to duplicate it or answer any
          questions the coder has... if I open the bug, then we lose that).

          > - The Inventory purchase tab no longer has different ordering options, only Type/Name.

          Name and Type/Name are the two options I see.

          > - It looks like custom items are only saved with the character, no longer under customsources, is this correct?

          That shouldn't be the case, sounds like a bug. Please raise a bug for it.

          > It seems that the last issue also solved my problem, as in 5.14/5.16 I'm having the problem that if I create custom items with an SPROP field, the game copies the content of the SPROP field each time it loads. I can not reproduce this error with 5.17.11 because it apparently doesn't save custom items any more. If anyone would know a work around for this issue in 5.14/5.16 that would be appreciated. Now I need to delete and create all my custom items each time I start the program, if they have an SPROP field.

          Well, that sounds like a bug to me...

          > I didn't explore 5.17 any further. I might have more feedback in the future.

          Feedback is good.

          > Cheers,
          >
          > RW.

        • R
          Message 4 of 13 , May 26, 2013
            Was the bug with SPROP duplicating the description each time the system loads ever corrected? I am using 6.00.01 and it still seems to be happening. It's odd though - it only happens for some items, not others. Here is a sample item that shows the effect:

            Greatsword of Fire and Cold PROFICIENCY:WEAPON|Greatsword TYPE:Custom_JIRJ.Magic.Weapon.Weapon.Melee.Martial.Specific.Slashing.Sword COST:50 WT:8 CRITMULT:x2 CRITRANGE:2 DAMAGE:2d6 EQMOD:STEEL.PLUS1W.FLM_M.FROST_M WIELD:TwoHanded SIZE:M SOURCEPAGE:Custom BASEITEM:Greatsword SPROP:The Flaming Sword of Fire and Cold is a plus 1 Flaming Greatsword with a Greater Crystal of Cold Assault. It deals an extra 1d6 of fire damage and an extra 1d6 of Cold when it hits and reduces the targets speed by 10ft for 1 round.

            I'd love to know the cause, or at least a good workaround for this. Thanks.

> [...]
            >
            > Name and Type/Name are the two options I see.
            >
            > > - It looks like custom items are only saved with the character, no longer under customsources, is this correct?
            >
            > That shouldn't be the case, sounds like a bug. Please raise a bug for it.
            >

            > > It seems that the last issue also solved my problem, as in 5.14/5.16 I'm having the problem that if I create custom items with an SPROP field, the game copies the content of the SPROP field each time it loads. I can not reproduce this error with 5.17.11 because it apparently doesn't save custom items any more. If anyone would know a work around for this issue in 5.14/5.16 that would be appreciated. Now I need to delete and create all my custom items each time I start the program, if they have an SPROP field.
            >
            > Well, that sounds like a bug to me...
            >

            > > I didn't explore 5.17 any further. I might have more feedback in the future.

          • jonathanrobertwatts
            Message 5 of 13 , May 27, 2013
              I can confirm I'm also still experiencing this bug in 6.00.01 RC2. I have 2 characters I load regularly, and for each character 1 specific item gets its SPROP duplicated when loaded. I've been intending to file a JIRA bug, but haven't got around to it yet....

              Message 6 of 13 , May 27, 2013

                I'm looking at this.

                Message 7 of 13 , May 27, 2013
                  Thanks Andrew. I'll look forward to hearing the explanation. This one has been bugging me for a while.

                  - RV

                  Message 8 of 13 , May 27, 2013

                    The example I'm not finding the eqmods in core, can you provide those?

                    Looks like playing with this after my 911 call.

                    Message 9 of 13 , May 27, 2013

                      I'm unable to reproduce this in the development build.

                      Create a custom greatsword, gave the sprop label of my own "Howdy Ho!". Save, closecharacter,
                      re-open... unchanged. Reloaded the sets, no change.

                      Is there a special step I'm missing to reproduce this???

                    • jonathanrobertwatts
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 29, 2013
                        I found bug CODE-1941, filed back in December, covers this issue, so I attached my 2 .pcg files to that bug. Turusk gets the SPROP for his Arrows of Animal Slaying duplicated, while Symmons (griffon.pcg) gets the SPROP for his Ant Haul Saddle duplicated. All that's necessary to duplicate the SPROP again on my system is to open the .pcg. Hope that helps!

                        > I'm unable to reproduce this in the development build.
                        >
                        > Create a custom greatsword, gave the sprop label of my own "Howdy Ho!". Save, closecharacter,
                        > re-open... unchanged. Reloaded the sets, no change.
                        >
                        > Is there a special step I'm missing to reproduce this???
                        >
                        > On 5/27/2013 3:02 PM, Andrew wrote:
                        > > Hi,
                        > >
                        > > The example I'm not finding the eqmods in core, can you provide those?
                        > >

                        > > Looks like playing with this after my 911 call.

                        [...snip...]
                      • R
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 4, 2013
                          Some additional information - it appears that the problem may be related
                          to the use of the BASEITEM tag. If I remove the BASEITEM from the item
                          that is showing duplicated SPROP text, the problem disappears.

                          So this item show the problem:

                          Flaming Sword of Fire
                          PROFICIENCY:WEAPON|Greatsword
                          TYPE:Custom_JIRJ.Magic.Weapon.Weapon.Melee.Martial.Specific.Slashing.Swo\
                          rd COST:50 WT:8 CRITMULT:x2
                          CRITRANGE:2 DAMAGE:2d6 EQMOD:STEEL.PLUS1W.FLM_M
                          WIELD:TwoHanded SIZE:M
                          BASEITEM:Greatsword SPROP:The
                          Flaming Sword of Fire is a plus 1 flaming greatsword, dealing an extra
                          1d6 of fire damage when it hits

                          And this one doesn't:

                          Flaming Sword of Fire
                          PROFICIENCY:WEAPON|Greatsword
                          TYPE:Custom_JIRJ.Magic.Weapon.Weapon.Melee.Martial.Specific.Slashing.Swo\
                          rd COST:50 WT:8 CRITMULT:x2
                          CRITRANGE:2 DAMAGE:2d6 EQMOD:STEEL.PLUS1W.FLM_M
                          WIELD:TwoHanded SIZE:M
                          SPROP:The Flaming Sword of Fire is a plus 1 flaming greatsword, dealing
                          an extra 1d6 of fire damage when it hits

                          I'm wondering whether there is something in the code that attempts to
                          copy to SPROP from the base item, and ends up generating an extra copy,
                          or something like that.

                          Anyway, dropping BASEITEM seems to be a decent workaround.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 4, 2013
                            The only place I see baseitem used is when pcgen creates a custom item. Also, maybe the email is
                            wonky, but sword is swo\rd on my end.

                            Not sure if that's in the actual code, but I don't think it should be. Glad you figured it out though.

                          • jonathanrobertwatts
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 5, 2013
                              OK, rmvhoek2 has found a way to stop the duplication, but it does require manually editing the .pcg file. Any chance of tracking down the actual bug and fixing it?