Great job with the new version and dropbox...

  • ysgarran
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 24, 2012
      I downloaded the new version and wanted to say nice job to the developers. The speed improvement is greatly welcomed and the new look doesn't hurt either.

      I had another thought I wanted to share. I read this article:
      http://abovethecrowd.com/2012/02/23/why-dropbox-is-a-major-disruption/

      and it reminded me of something I tried to do with PCGen and had no luck with. I wanted to save my configuration and my ".pcg" files into dropbox so I could easily access them regardless of platform. I had a terrible time to getting that to work and finally gave up on it.

      Has anyone tried to do this? Any luck?
    • Doug Limmer
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 24, 2012
        I'm running Windows 7, and have installed PCGen straight into my Dropbox
        folder. (I've also put my homebrew data into a different Dropbox
        folder.) It works fine for me on several different Windows machines.
        Each account has its own .pcgen folder (not in Dropbox), though, which I
        believe contains the configuration info; I haven't tried to change that.

        I haven't tried to run it on my Ubuntu laptop yet. I should try that ...

        I'm also still using 5.17.9. I should update that, too ...

        DS/DL

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 27, 2012
          It might be a couple of things with my installation(s).

          My first thought is that I don't have the dropbox installed on the same folder so my paths for the config files might be messed up. Please let us know how it goes with the Ubuntu. If that works for you I may try the dropbox install again.

          Brian F.

          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 2, 2012
            Here is my report.

            1. I previously installed PCGen 5.17.9 into my Dropbox folder. As
            stated earlier, I installed it with the standard Windows installer,
            setting the target folder to a folder in my Dropbox. I have been using
            this installation on both my Win7 desktop and my Win7 laptop without any
            problems.

            2. I had previously installed an earlier version of PCGen (possibly
            5.16.4) on my Ubuntu Linux 11.10 laptop. I might even have installed it
            correctly. I remember that I had to replace OpenJava with Sun Java to
            get it to work; there may have been some other tweaks I don't remember.
            I uninstalled it, and cleared out and removed the .pcgen folder in my
            home directory.

            3. I then ran PCGen from my Dropbox folder using "java -jar pcgen.jar"
            from the console while in the directory with the pcgen.jar file. The
            program ran fine, as though it were the first time I had run it.

            I would probably like to have a more convenient way to run the program,
            but my shell programming skills have atrophied dramatically. The
            program did run fine; the rest is convenience.

            DS/DL

            On 2/27/2012 2:26 PM, ysgarran wrote:

            > It might be a couple of things with my installation(s).
            >
            > My first thought is that I don't have the dropbox installed on the
            > same folder so my paths for the config files might be messed up.
            > Please let us know how it goes with the Ubuntu. If that works for you
            > I may try the dropbox install again.
            >
            > Brian F.
            >
            > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com <mailto:pcgen%40yahoogroups.com>, Doug
            > Limmer <adventure@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I'm running Windows 7, and have installed PCGen straight into my
            > Dropbox
            > > folder. (I've also put my homebrew data into a different Dropbox
            > > folder.) It works fine for me on several different Windows machines.
            > > Each account has its own .pcgen folder (not in Dropbox), though,
            > which I
            > > believe contains the configuration info; I haven't tried to change that.
            > >
            > > I haven't tried to run it on my Ubuntu laptop yet. I should try that ...
            > >
            > > I'm also still using 5.17.9. I should update that, too ...
            > >
            > > DS/DL
            > >
            > > On 2/24/2012 4:59 PM, ysgarran wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I downloaded the new version and wanted to say nice job to the
            > > > developers. The speed improvement is greatly welcomed and the new
            > look
            > > > doesn't hurt either.
            > > >
            > > > I had another thought I wanted to share. I read this article:
            > > > http://abovethecrowd.com/2012/02/23/why-dropbox-is-a-major-disruption/
            > > >
            > > > and it reminded me of something I tried to do with PCGen and had no
            > > > luck with. I wanted to save my configuration and my ".pcg" files into
            > > > dropbox so I could easily access them regardless of platform. I had a
            > > > terrible time to getting that to work and finally gave up on it.
            > > >
            > > > Has anyone tried to do this? Any luck?

          • FerretDave
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 3, 2012
              I like this idea, I have to update homebrew datasets onto my gaming groups laptops individually, but with this I can share it out and always have them up to date.

              If you're not online, it uses a cached copy yes?

              I've not ran pcgen on linux myself, but in the windows install there's a 'low_mem.bat' batch file, is there not something similar to that in the linux distribution?

              If there isn't, then you can certainly easily create a shell script that runs the java command line (create a file called 'pcgen.sh' and put your java console command into it directly, perhaps with a 'cd /path/blah' on a previous line to get into the right place first), then 'chmod +x pcgen.sh' to make it executable - run that directly, or create a symlink to your desktop.

              We really want a 'high_mem.bat' equivalent to be in the official distribution too really, and an equivalent high_mem.sh for the linux distro - was someone working on the re-packaging of that?

              Cheers

              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 3, 2012
                Just checked, in the windows distro there is a 'pcgen.sh', you should be using that in linux, no need for scripting :-)

                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 3, 2012
                  Unfortunately, a simple "make it executable" wasn't enough to get that
                  to work for me. I'm guessing it has to do with me using the non-default
                  location for the program. It probably wouldn't be too hard to tweak it,
                  though.

                  DS/DL

                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 4, 2012
                    What errors do you see? And what path are you using?

                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 6, 2012
                      On 3/4/2012 9:16 AM, FerretDave wrote:

                      > What errors do you see? And what path are you using?

                      I don't remember, and I don't remember. :-) My Ubuntu system is at
                      work, and I'm on vacation this week. :-)

                      A bit more seriously, I was doing this more as a proof-of-concept (can
                      you do a Windows install into Dropbox and use the program on a Linux
                      machine?); that laptop is slow enough that I wouldn't want to do any
                      actual PCGen work on it. (Although, that new UI seems faster; maybe it
                      wouldn't be too slow with that.)

                      DJL

                    • UnclePete
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 6, 2012

                        Sorry for butting in, but my experiences with cross-platform, Dropbox
                        and PCGen may be of use.

                        I use linux systems by preference (laptop and Desktop), but other
                        members of the groups I play in use various versions of linux, Windows
                        or Macs. Dropbox is used to co-ordinate between machines/people.

                        The bottom line is that linux, Windows and Mac machines all happily
                        share character & portrait directories via Dropbox without problem and
                        I've recently started sharing homebrew datasets the same way.

                        The advice I give Windows users is to NOT use the win installer, but to
                        expand the .zip file into a suitable directory (OK, folder, dammit).
                        This way, it should be possible to use Dropbox to share the whole PCGen
                        - just unzip it into Dropbox. However, I'd probably recommend using the
                        scenario I use (ie unzip onto local hard disk on each machine, then
                        point the character & portrait files at Dropbox). That way, you can
                        tweak the bat/shell file to better suit the machine you're running on.

                        Pete