Re: PCGen v5.17.11 (alpha) Released!

  • Arjan
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 23, 2012
      Very very nice. I was just absently downloading PCGen alpha because my laptop died on me, again. Getting this new look and feel is awesome.

      I grabbed an existing PC (RSRD and homebrew) and started browsing

      Some quick comments:
      - the program seems to respond a lot quicker on the whole. The time beween clicking the icon and the displaying of the splashscreen took a long time for me though. Up to one minute. Enough time to click a few more times. Not sure why it takes so long.
      - I'd prefer that my choises in the sources view be autosaved and not randomely set to basic, MSRD Modern every time. Cancelling the whole sources thing and just going to the start screen with a sources button would bee cool too. Seems sources autoload on character load now.
      - Liking the new op Summary screen a lot. Languages chooser here is very nice. Pet peeve of mine. The Languages categories strike me as weird though. Don't realy add anythning with the basic RSRD languages. Just clutter and added clicking. No way to remove the clustering either. I'd like that option.
      - For some reason PCGen reported unspent skillpoints while there are no skillpoints remaining. Probably due to a Speak Language skill bug when making the PC. The messages being clickable links is very nice.
      - The Encounter/Statistics/Encumbrance columns have some redundant info in it. Info already available on the Summary tab.
      - The change from bolding to checkboxes in the Domains tab (and probably elsewere as well, I noticed it first in the domainstab) is an improvement.
      - Skills: The overview window down left is a very good addition. Lets you assess where skillpoints remain much easier. The picker itself needs some work in my oppinion. Again with the clustering. Let me turn that off please. And, as been said before, picking knowledge skills is a pain due to collapsing clusters. The ranks boxes are a bit big. I understand the need for the size but this way the skills list is 3 screens long with collapsed clusters.
      - Description: Major improvements. Very impressed. Minor nit-pick. I've lost info available on old description pages. The fail to convert to custom pages I guess.

      Sorry for the big-wall-o-text. If you need YIRA for some things, please say so.

      And thanx a bunch for the hard work guys. Your work has made my gaming a lot more pleasureable. Keep it up!

      Regards,
      Arjan