PCGen v5.17.11 (alpha) Released!

  • David R. Bender
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 19, 2012
      PCGen v5.17.11 is an alpha release with a difference.

      For the first time, we introduce our new user interface!

      The new user interface does most of what you are used to, *but we still
      have to get kits, familiars, companions and temporary mods working*. It
      is important to remember that this is an alpha in the industry standard
      sense and will have rough edges. We are putting it out for feedback but
      recommend you don't pick it up for your regular game use just yet.

      PCGen is an RPG character generator and maintenance program (d20
      systems). All datafiles are ASCII text files so they can be modified by
      users for their own campaigns.

      For more information about PCGen, join us at
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pcgen or visit our website at

      Download your free copy here:
      http://sourceforge.net/projects/pcgen/files/PCGen%20Unstable/5.17.11%20Alpha/

      You can see all of the changes included in this release by checking out
      the release notes:
      http://pcgen.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/pcgen/Trunk/pcgen/installers/release-notes/pcgen-release-notes-51711.html

      Trackers (JIRA) bugs open for the New UI:
      http://jira.pcgen.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=10310
      <http://jira.pcgen.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=10310>

      --

      -- david
      Papa.DRB

      My better half and me (jpg)

    • swiftbrook8
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 20, 2012
        Feedback ....

        PCGen 5.17.11
        Sources: Pathfinder CRB, APG, Inner Sea Primer, Organized Play 4.0
        Windows XP SP 3
        Built a 3rd level Druid Fighter.

        Speed: Yes it has speed! Nice

        New UI: Overall I like it. An improvement.

        Additional comments:
        Adding skill point to Knowledge is a chore.
        1) Click to expand Knowledge.
        2) Add a rank to Kn(bla)
        3) Knowledge collapses.
        4) Need to reexpand to add another rank.
        5) go to step 3 and repeat, (and repeat, and repeat)

        Selecting alternate Dwarven racial traits when smoothly.

        Equipping dialog box: Need a down arrow under the `container' column to indicate there is a choice menu. It not intuitive that their is a choice menu in this box.

        Output: Unarmed attack shows up in preview screen but not on simple or standard standard fantasy pdf output sheets. Also, I can't find how to order weapons on output sheet so that my primary weapon shows up at the top, or near the top. If it's possible, it's not obvious.

        Well those are my quick thoughts for now.

        -Swiftbrook

        > PCGen v5.17.11 is an alpha release with a difference.
        >
        > For the first time, we introduce our new user interface!
        >
        > The new user interface does most of what you are used to, *but we still
        > have to get kits, familiars, companions and temporary mods working*. It
        > is important to remember that this is an alpha in the industry standard
        > sense and will have rough edges. We are putting it out for feedback but
        > recommend you don't pick it up for your regular game use just yet.
      • Jami Lowery
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 21, 2012
          Not sure this is a bug, so I did not open a Jira - more likely I am just
          not seeing something that is there.

          PCGen v5.17.11.
          Source Loaded: Pathfinder RPG for Players - Advanced
          OS: Mac OS 10.7.3

          Created a Half-Orc Rogue up to 3rd level and "Things To Be Done" on the
          "Summary" tab states "Rogue Talent remains to be selected." Clicking on
          that link takes me to the "Feats and Abilities" tab. I am not seeing
          anywhere in those subtabs to select a Rogue Talent. In v5.17.9 there is a
          "Class Abilities" subtab where Rogue Talent selection is made. There is no
          Class Abilities tab in v5.17.11. Maybe this has moved and I am just not
          finding it?

          The new UI look-and-feel is much nicer - cleaner. Keep up the treat work!

          Thanks!
          Jami

          On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 12:08 PM, David R. Bender <Papa.DRB@...>wrote:

          > **
          >

          > PCGen v5.17.11 is an alpha release with a difference.
          >
          > For the first time, we introduce our new user interface!
          >
          > The new user interface does most of what you are used to, *but we still
          > have to get kits, familiars, companions and temporary mods working*. It
          > is important to remember that this is an alpha in the industry standard
          > sense and will have rough edges. We are putting it out for feedback but
          > recommend you don't pick it up for your regular game use just yet.
          >
          > PCGen is an RPG character generator and maintenance program (d20
          > systems). All datafiles are ASCII text files so they can be modified by
          > users for their own campaigns.
          >
          > For more information about PCGen, join us at
          > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pcgen or visit our website at
          > http://wiki.pcgen.org/.
          >
          > Download your free copy here:
          >
          > http://sourceforge.net/projects/pcgen/files/PCGen%20Unstable/5.17.11%20Alpha/
          >
          > You can see all of the changes included in this release by checking out
          > the release notes:
          >
          > http://pcgen.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/pcgen/Trunk/pcgen/installers/release-notes/pcgen-release-notes-51711.html
          >
          > Trackers (JIRA) bugs open for the New UI:
          > http://jira.pcgen.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=10310
          > <
          > http://jira.pcgen.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=10310
          > >

          > --
          >
          > -- david
          > Papa.DRB
          >
          > My better half and me (jpg)
          > <
          > https://picasaweb.google.com/102726903532570043857/Family#slideshow/5533056948910114610>

          Jami Lowery
          jami.lowery@...

        • Arjan
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 23, 2012
            Very very nice. I was just absently downloading PCGen alpha because my laptop died on me, again. Getting this new look and feel is awesome.

            I grabbed an existing PC (RSRD and homebrew) and started browsing

            Some quick comments:
            - the program seems to respond a lot quicker on the whole. The time beween clicking the icon and the displaying of the splashscreen took a long time for me though. Up to one minute. Enough time to click a few more times. Not sure why it takes so long.
            - I'd prefer that my choises in the sources view be autosaved and not randomely set to basic, MSRD Modern every time. Cancelling the whole sources thing and just going to the start screen with a sources button would bee cool too. Seems sources autoload on character load now.
            - Liking the new op Summary screen a lot. Languages chooser here is very nice. Pet peeve of mine. The Languages categories strike me as weird though. Don't realy add anythning with the basic RSRD languages. Just clutter and added clicking. No way to remove the clustering either. I'd like that option.
            - For some reason PCGen reported unspent skillpoints while there are no skillpoints remaining. Probably due to a Speak Language skill bug when making the PC. The messages being clickable links is very nice.
            - The Encounter/Statistics/Encumbrance columns have some redundant info in it. Info already available on the Summary tab.
            - The change from bolding to checkboxes in the Domains tab (and probably elsewere as well, I noticed it first in the domainstab) is an improvement.
            - Skills: The overview window down left is a very good addition. Lets you assess where skillpoints remain much easier. The picker itself needs some work in my oppinion. Again with the clustering. Let me turn that off please. And, as been said before, picking knowledge skills is a pain due to collapsing clusters. The ranks boxes are a bit big. I understand the need for the size but this way the skills list is 3 screens long with collapsed clusters.
            - Description: Major improvements. Very impressed. Minor nit-pick. I've lost info available on old description pages. The fail to convert to custom pages I guess.

            Sorry for the big-wall-o-text. If you need YIRA for some things, please say so.

            And thanx a bunch for the hard work guys. Your work has made my gaming a lot more pleasureable. Keep it up!

            Regards,
            Arjan