RE: [pcgen] PCG File format

  • Arcady
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 1, 2001
      Make it look like XML.

      Have the next three versions after this of PCGen read the old one, and the
      new one. After three versions remove all the code that allows the old one to
      still work.

      This is assuming 3 versions is a 3-4 week span of time.

      Let's not make the 8088 ---> PIII mistake...
      At some point, dead weight has to learn it's dead. But there should be a
      reasonable transition period.

      > > I'm begining to wonder if we shouldn't entirely scrap the pcg file
      > > format and redesign it from the ground up. The format is now so full

      > be a infinite loop it would be great. But a total redesign would be good,
      > but if we do it should be designed to totally extendable without causing
      > previous versions of it to not be able to load. On solution would be to

    • Tom Deprez
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 1, 2001
        Or, make a little program which converts the code...

        Tom.

      • pjak@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 1, 2001
          --- In pcgen@y..., "Arcady" <arcady0@y...> wrote:
          > Make it look like XML.

          Seconded. Strongly. We're going to convert to xml eventually, so we
          might as well make that transition easy.

          > Have the next three versions after this of PCGen read the old one,
          and the
          > new one. After three versions remove all the code that allows the
          old one to
          > still work.
          > This is assuming 3 versions is a 3-4 week span of time.

          We should probably make sure that the last version to read the old
          files is easy to find, given that some people probably don't upgrade
          all the time. Or make a program whose only functionality is to read
          the old files, and write the new files.

          Also, it'd probably be a good idea to rename the .pcg files when we
          switch formats. I.e. instead of .pcg it would .pcl (or something.)

          > Let's not make the 8088 ---> PIII mistake...
          > At some point, dead weight has to learn it's dead. But there should
          be a
          > reasonable transition period.

          I agree.

          /Jonas
        • maxi
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 1, 2001
            i like the idea that it will be backward compatible, but if it is
            re-done, it should have the capability of converting the old
            format/coding to the new, then when the old format is wiped, the old
            files are still usable.

            maxi
          • Brass Tilde
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 2, 2001

              Did I hear someone mention XML?

              Brass

              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 2, 2001
                --- In pcgen@y..., "Brass Tilde" <brasstilde@y...> wrote:
> [...]

                heh - I keep meaning to take a closer look at xml. Whenever that
                conversion occurs, we will have to be able to read in pre-xml pcg
                files. That may be too much work- but I would prefer not to have to
                force everyone to recreate their characters.

                -Bryan

              • mynex2k1@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 2, 2001
                  At some point, too many changes to the program will require people to
                  recreate. I seriously doubt that anyone will object (too much) to a
                  recreate of characters if there is a drastic overhaul to everything
                  to clean up all the code... Once in a GREAT while. ;)

                  Mynex

                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 2, 2001

                    Well, you've already got the code that parses the existing files. When a
                    user opens a PCG file, detect whether it's a new version or not (another
                    advantage of XML, you can include a PCG file version tag), and call the
                    appropriate code to read it. With the appropriate warnings about backwards
                    compatibility, you can then *write* the new format when the character is
                    saved.

                    Everybody will have their characters backed up before such a significant
                    upgrade anyway, right? <g/>

                    Brass

                  • Yosemite Sam
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 2, 2001
                      Write a conversion utility in something like perl as a cgi script. Then put
                      it on your web site as a service.

                    • merton_monk@yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 2, 2001
                        --- In pcgen@y..., "Yosemite Sam" <churcht@b...> wrote:
                        > Write a conversion utility in something like perl as a cgi script.
                        Then put
                        > it on your web site as a service.

                        Most likely we'll leave the current loading-pcg file methods in place
                        - but when you save it will save in the xml format. The only
                        possible wrench in this scenario is if, for some odd reason, we have
                        to really monkey with our data-structures to placate xml. I doubt
                        this should happen...

                        -Bryan