Re: [pcgen] Re: load souces

  • David R. Bender
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 6, 2012
      5.17.10 is the "old" user interface and does not work with Sun Java 7 as
      James (the greater, hehehe) said below. The new user interface is only
      available via nightly builds, but it is not ready for prime time usage yet.

      -- david
      Papa.DRB

      My better half and me (jpg)

      On 2/6/2012 5:26 AM, woggie000 wrote:
      > I have v5,17.10 installed and I have this same problem. I admittedly have Sun Java 7 installed.
      > Names show up, I can input stats, but there's no list of races, classes, skills, feats and abilities, domains, spells or inventory.
      > Is there some step I haven't taken or something? This condition occurs with the windows build as well as the full package.
      >
      > James (the Lesser, apparently)
      >
      > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, James Dempsey<jdempsey@...> wrote:
      >> Hi Hiroki,
      >>
      >> On 5/02/2012 11:52 PM Hiroki Addams wrote
      >>> hi
      >>> I just download the pcgen, but when i load the sources of pathfinder or d&d 3.5 don't show the feats, spells, skills, nothing, only the main tab shows correctly...
      >>> why is that?? I'm missing some step?
      >> You'd be using Java 7 (or open JDK 6 on linux). The old user interface
      >> doesn't work with these.
      >>
      >> There are two options, switch back to Sun's Java 6 and it will work, or
      >> wait until next week when the first alpha with the new user interface is
      >> released. That works with Open JDK and Java 7.
      >>
      >> Cheers,
      >> James.

    • woggie000
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 6, 2012
        Is there a way to get PCGen to work with only a certain version of Java installed, or is it all or nothing with Java? I don't program, so I don't really know.

        James

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 6, 2012

          Yes, but I'm going to defer to someone that can explain it better than I can.

          In windows it involves the classpath IIRC.

          On 2/6/2012 4:40 PM, woggie000 wrote:
          > Is there a way to get PCGen to work with only a certain version of Java installed, or is it all or nothing with Java? I don't program, so I don't really know.
          >
          > James
          >
          > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "David R. Bender" <Papa.DRB@...> wrote:
          >> 5.17.10 is the "old" user interface and does not work with Sun Java 7 as
          >> James (the greater, hehehe) said below. The new user interface is only
          >> available via nightly builds, but it is not ready for prime time usage yet.
          >>
          >> -- david
          >> Papa.DRB
          >>
          >> My better half and me (jpg)
          >> <https://picasaweb.google.com/102726903532570043857/Family#slideshow/5533056948910114610>

          >> <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Qu7jGYzS_A>

          >> On 2/6/2012 5:26 AM, woggie000 wrote:
          >>> I have v5,17.10 installed and I have this same problem. I admittedly have Sun Java 7 installed.
          >>> Names show up, I can input stats, but there's no list of races, classes, skills, feats and abilities, domains, spells or inventory.
          >>> Is there some step I haven't taken or something? This condition occurs with the windows build as well as the full package.
          >>>
          >>> James (the Lesser, apparently)

        • James Dempsey
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 7, 2012
            Hi James,

            If you are on Windows, the best way is to update the last line of the
            pcgen_low_mem.bat file to point to your Java 6 install. I'd also change
            the maximum memory too. So the last line might then look a bit like

            "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_30\bin\java" -Dswing.aatext=true
            -Xmx1096m -jar pcgen.jar

            You would then need to run the pcgen_low_mem.bat file rather than the
            pcgen.exe

            Cheers,
            James.

            On 7/02/2012 11:40 AM woggie000 wrote
            > Is there a way to get PCGen to work with only a certain version of Java installed, or is it all or nothing with Java? I don't program, so I don't really know.
            >
            > James
            >
            > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "David R. Bender"<Papa.DRB@...> wrote:
            >> 5.17.10 is the "old" user interface and does not work with Sun Java 7 as
            >> James (the greater, hehehe) said below. The new user interface is only
            >> available via nightly builds, but it is not ready for prime time usage yet.
            >>
            >> -- david
            >> Papa.DRB
            >>
            >> My better half and me (jpg)
            >> <https://picasaweb.google.com/102726903532570043857/Family#slideshow/5533056948910114610>

            >> <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Qu7jGYzS_A>

            >> On 2/6/2012 5:26 AM, woggie000 wrote:
            >>> I have v5,17.10 installed and I have this same problem. I admittedly have Sun Java 7 installed.
            >>> Names show up, I can input stats, but there's no list of races, classes, skills, feats and abilities, domains, spells or inventory.
            >>> Is there some step I haven't taken or something? This condition occurs with the windows build as well as the full package.
            >>>
            >>> James (the Lesser, apparently)

          • woggie000
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 7, 2012
              Thanks, James. That did it.
              Any idea when the new version will be coming out, so I don't have to do this anymore? A wild guesstimate within a month or year of the actual date would be nice.

              The Other James

              > Hi James,
              >
              > If you are on Windows, the best way is to update the last line of the
              > pcgen_low_mem.bat file to point to your Java 6 install. I'd also change
              > the maximum memory too. So the last line might then look a bit like
              >
              > "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_30\bin\java" -Dswing.aatext=true
              > -Xmx1096m -jar pcgen.jar
              >
              > You would then need to run the pcgen_low_mem.bat file rather than the
              > pcgen.exe
              >
              > Cheers,
              > James.
              >
              > On 7/02/2012 11:40 AM woggie000 wrote
              > > Is there a way to get PCGen to work with only a certain version of Java installed, or is it all or nothing with Java? I don't program, so I don't really know.
              > >
              > > James
              > >
              > > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "David R. Bender"<Papa.DRB@> wrote:
              > >> 5.17.10 is the "old" user interface and does not work with Sun Java 7 as
              > >> James (the greater, hehehe) said below. The new user interface is only
              > >> available via nightly builds, but it is not ready for prime time usage yet.
              > >>
              > >> -- david
              > >> Papa.DRB
              > >>
              > >> My better half and me (jpg)
              > >> <https://picasaweb.google.com/102726903532570043857/Family#slideshow/5533056948910114610>
              > >>
              > >> Love Me If You Can by Toby Keith (video)
              > >> <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Qu7jGYzS_A>
              > >>
              > >> Madness takes its toll - please have exact change.
              > >> For those who believe, no proof is necessary, for those who don't
              > >> believe, no proof is possible. (Stuart Chase 1888-1985)

            • James Dempsey
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 7, 2012
                Hi James,

                On 8 February 2012 11:54, woggie000 <biz.woggie@...> wrote:

                > Thanks, James. That did it.
                > Any idea when the new version will be coming out, so I don't have to do
                > this anymore? A wild guesstimate within a month or year of the actual date
                > would be nice.
                >
                > It will be out in the next week or two. We have lots of people from the
                data and code teams providing feedback and I am madly fixing things and
                tidying stuff up :)

                Of course this will be the first alpha of a whole new UI - so it will still
                have rough edges and some missing functionality and thus really be much
                more like an industry standard alpha rather than the pretty stable ones
                we've had out last year.

                Cheers,
                James Dempsey
                PCGen Code SB

              • Hiroki Addams
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 8, 2012
                  Hi James

                  > Hi Hiroki,
                  >
                  > On 5/02/2012 11:52 PM Hiroki Addams wrote
                  > > hi
                  > > I just download the pcgen, but when i load the sources of pathfinder or d&d 3.5 don't show the feats, spells, skills, nothing, only the main tab shows correctly...
                  > > why is that?? I'm missing some step?
                  > You'd be using Java 7 (or open JDK 6 on linux). The old user interface
                  > doesn't work with these.
                  >
                  > There are two options, switch back to Sun's Java 6 and it will work, or
                  > wait until next week when the first alpha with the new user interface is
                  > released. That works with Open JDK and Java 7.
                  >
                  > Cheers,
                  > James.

                  which version would be that?? i have the 5.17.10 Alpha :S
                  theres any oportunity to obtain the source code?? to compile by myself??

                  Hiro