Git repository available, synched often

  • Henk Slaaf
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 5, 2012
      Hello all,

      I use git extensively. I even use SVN from Git so I can have local
      branches. A couple of benefits:

      1. Much faster, because of the complete local mirror.
      2. Clean branches allow for local development and pushing of complete
      features.
      3. Clean branches allow for real cherry-picking, no more copying over of
      diffs.
      4. Much more advanced merge-tools (which do not work well with our LST
      syntax, but for other things they work well).

      I think it would be a great idea for the PCGen community to move to Git
      because of better branching and tagging. But since several people have
      invested much in the current workflow, I thought it would be a better
      approach to offer a read-only mirror on github.com first.

      So:

      https://github.com/pcgen-svn/pcgen-svn

      This repository has been synched once and is updated every 5 minutes. The
      update frequency may change.

      1. There is currently only Trunk/
      2. I may find a way to import selected branches (like 1.16.x).
      3. Until then, I'll branch manually.
      4. Tagging is done manually, I may find a way to import tags. (they
      don't happen often).

      So what does this do for you?

      1. git clone https://github.com/pcgen-svn/pcgen-svn pcgen # clones the
      repo
      2. cd pcgen
      3. git checkout -b local # create and enter a local branch named
      "local"
      4. # hack away and commit at heart's desire.

      Then:

      1. git checkout master # return to the master PCGen branch
      2. git pull # changes come in
      3. git checkout local
      4. git rebase # rebase your changes onto the master
      branch or (!) git merge master, but forces you to appreciate another's
      changes instead of your own.

      Any questions? Shoot!

      Best,

      Henk

    • Timothy Reaves
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 6, 2012
        Actually, if an alternative to svn was desired, bzr is a much better
        alternative to git. Git sucks.

      • Martijn Verburg
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 6, 2012
          Hi all,

          Comments inline.

          > **
          >
          > Actually, if an alternative to svn was desired, bzr is a much better
          > alternative to git. Git sucks.

          Everybody has their own favourite VCS (be it distributed or otherwise).
          However, as a
          project we need to ensure that we are using one that is well understood and
          has good
          tooling support by a *wide* range of end users.

          As an aside, saying 'Git sucks' isn't really much of an empirical argument
          :-)

          > Hello all,
          > >
          > > I use git extensively. I even use SVN from Git so I can have local
          > > branches. A couple of benefits:
          > >
          > > 1. Much faster, because of the complete local mirror.
          > > 2. Clean branches allow for local development and pushing of complete
          > > features.
          > > 3. Clean branches allow for real cherry-picking, no more copying over of
          > > diffs.
          > > 4. Much more advanced merge-tools (which do not work well with our LST
          > > syntax, but for other things they work well).
          > >
          > > I think it would be a great idea for the PCGen community to move to Git
          > > because of better branching and tagging. But since several people have
          > > invested much in the current workflow, I thought it would be a better
          > > approach to offer a read-only mirror on github.com first.
          > >
          > > So:
          > >
          > > https://github.com/pcgen-svn/pcgen-svn
          > >
          > > This repository has been synched once and is updated every 5 minutes. The
          > > update frequency may change.
          > >
          > > 1. There is currently only Trunk/
          > > 2. I may find a way to import selected branches (like 1.16.x).
          > > 3. Until then, I'll branch manually.
          > > 4. Tagging is done manually, I may find a way to import tags. (they
          > > don't happen often).
          > >
          > > So what does this do for you?
          > >

          > > 1. git clone https://github.com/pcgen-svn/pcgen-svn pcgen # clones the
          > > repo
          > > 2. cd pcgen
          > > 3. git checkout -b local # create and enter a local branch named
          > > "local"
          > > 4. # hack away and commit at heart's desire.
          > >
          > > Then:
          > >
          > > 1. git checkout master # return to the master PCGen branch
          > > 2. git pull # changes come in
          > > 3. git checkout local
          > > 4. git rebase # rebase your changes onto the master
          > > branch or (!) git merge master, but forces you to appreciate another's
          > > changes instead of your own.

          Thanks for looking into this. However, it doesn't actually commit changes
          back
          to the SVN repo that we perform our releases from. I think that a few of
          us are
          already using the git-svn tooling locally to have the local branches etc,
          whilst still
          pushing to trunk or whatever official SVN branch we are working on.

          Not sure how your GitHub set-up offers anything beyond this?

        • Henk Slaaf
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 6, 2012
            Hello Timothy,

            Actually, if an alternative to svn was desired, bzr is a much better
            > alternative to git. Git sucks.

            Feel free to setup a similar setup for bzr if you want :)

            Best,

            Henk

          • Henk Slaaf
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 6, 2012
              On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 15:18, Martijn Verburg <martijnverburg@...>wrote:

              > **
              >

              > Hi all,
              >
              > Comments inline.
              >
              > > **
              >

              > > Actually, if an alternative to svn was desired, bzr is a much better
              > > alternative to git. Git sucks.
              > >
              > Everybody has their own favourite VCS (be it distributed or otherwise).
              > However, as a
              > project we need to ensure that we are using one that is well understood and
              > has good
              > tooling support by a *wide* range of end users.

              Yes. This is exactly why this repo is here. I can git branch more easily.
              That is impossible with SVN in any practical sense. I thought I'd share it
              here.

              This also saves me the time I normally spend git-svn-cloning the huge (!)
              PCGen repo on various machines.

              > Thanks for looking into this. However, it doesn't actually commit changes
              > back to the SVN repo that we perform our releases from. I think that a few
              > of
              > us are already using the git-svn tooling locally to have the local
              > branches etc,
              > whilst still pushing to trunk or whatever official SVN branch we are
              > working on.

              No, it does not. It does not have the permissions to do so. And I don't
              think we want it to have them.

              > Not sure how your GitHub set-up offers anything beyond this?

              I git svn fetch, git svn rebase and git push every so often from a cronjob.
              GitHub does not offer any real continuous SVN syncing, as far as I know,
              just as a single import.

              Best,

              Henk

            • Lee Dowd
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 6, 2012
                For those of us not to familiar with these systems responses like this are of very limited utility.   Now if you gave a brief description of why you don't like Git and why bzr is better it could be quite useful.
                Lee