PCG File format

  • Eric Statz
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 31, 2001
      I'm begining to wonder if we shouldn't entirely scrap the pcg file
      format and redesign it from the ground up. The format is now so full
      of hacks and kludges, that its very easy to break, and is completely
      not human readable. The format as it is currently is not extensible,
      and to make it so would require a complete redesign.

      Any comments?

      -Eric
    • Mark Hulsman
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 31, 2001
        > I'm begining to wonder if we shouldn't entirely scrap the pcg file
        > format and redesign it from the ground up. The format is now so full
        > of hacks and kludges, that its very easy to break, and is completely
        > not human readable. The format as it is currently is not extensible,
        > and to make it so would require a complete redesign.
        >
        > Any comments?

        Well it definitely is full of hacks. I just added another to save templates
        for characters. If we found someway to have the last save/load function not
        be a infinite loop it would be great. But a total redesign would be good,
        but if we do it should be designed to totally extendable without causing
        previous versions of it to not be able to load. On solution would be to
        have each line of the file have a tag at the beginning say what this line
        is.
      • Arcady
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 1, 2001
          Make it look like XML.

          Have the next three versions after this of PCGen read the old one, and the
          new one. After three versions remove all the code that allows the old one to
          still work.

          This is assuming 3 versions is a 3-4 week span of time.

          Let's not make the 8088 ---> PIII mistake...
          At some point, dead weight has to learn it's dead. But there should be a
          reasonable transition period.

          > > I'm begining to wonder if we shouldn't entirely scrap the pcg file
          > > format and redesign it from the ground up. The format is now so full

          > be a infinite loop it would be great. But a total redesign would be good,
          > but if we do it should be designed to totally extendable without causing
          > previous versions of it to not be able to load. On solution would be to

        • Tom Deprez
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 1, 2001
            Or, make a little program which converts the code...

            Tom.

          • pjak@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 1, 2001
              --- In pcgen@y..., "Arcady" <arcady0@y...> wrote:
              > Make it look like XML.

              Seconded. Strongly. We're going to convert to xml eventually, so we
              might as well make that transition easy.

              > Have the next three versions after this of PCGen read the old one,
              and the
              > new one. After three versions remove all the code that allows the
              old one to
              > still work.
              > This is assuming 3 versions is a 3-4 week span of time.

              We should probably make sure that the last version to read the old
              files is easy to find, given that some people probably don't upgrade
              all the time. Or make a program whose only functionality is to read
              the old files, and write the new files.

              Also, it'd probably be a good idea to rename the .pcg files when we
              switch formats. I.e. instead of .pcg it would .pcl (or something.)

              > Let's not make the 8088 ---> PIII mistake...
              > At some point, dead weight has to learn it's dead. But there should
              be a
              > reasonable transition period.

              I agree.

              /Jonas
            • maxi
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 1, 2001
                i like the idea that it will be backward compatible, but if it is
                re-done, it should have the capability of converting the old
                format/coding to the new, then when the old format is wiped, the old
                files are still usable.

                maxi
              • Brass Tilde
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 2, 2001

                  Did I hear someone mention XML?

                  Brass

                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 2, 2001
                    --- In pcgen@y..., "Brass Tilde" <brasstilde@y...> wrote:
> [...]

                    heh - I keep meaning to take a closer look at xml. Whenever that
                    conversion occurs, we will have to be able to read in pre-xml pcg
                    files. That may be too much work- but I would prefer not to have to
                    force everyone to recreate their characters.

                    -Bryan

                  • mynex2k1@yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 2, 2001
                      At some point, too many changes to the program will require people to
                      recreate. I seriously doubt that anyone will object (too much) to a
                      recreate of characters if there is a drastic overhaul to everything
                      to clean up all the code... Once in a GREAT while. ;)

                      Mynex

                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 2, 2001

                        Well, you've already got the code that parses the existing files. When a
                        user opens a PCG file, detect whether it's a new version or not (another
                        advantage of XML, you can include a PCG file version tag), and call the
                        appropriate code to read it. With the appropriate warnings about backwards
                        compatibility, you can then *write* the new format when the character is
                        saved.

                        Everybody will have their characters backed up before such a significant
                        upgrade anyway, right? <g/>

                        Brass

                      • Yosemite Sam
                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 2, 2001
                          Write a conversion utility in something like perl as a cgi script. Then put
                          it on your web site as a service.

                        • merton_monk@yahoo.com
                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 2, 2001
                            --- In pcgen@y..., "Yosemite Sam" <churcht@b...> wrote:
                            > Write a conversion utility in something like perl as a cgi script.
                            Then put
                            > it on your web site as a service.

                            Most likely we'll leave the current loading-pcg file methods in place
                            - but when you save it will save in the xml format. The only
                            possible wrench in this scenario is if, for some odd reason, we have
                            to really monkey with our data-structures to placate xml. I doubt
                            this should happen...

                            -Bryan