Re: Export tab prototype screenshot

  • lonejedi70@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 31, 2001
      OK, I've got the shot up now (in Bugs and Features). I went ahead
      and added the colum n for "Sheet" and a button to select it, as
      well. Right now, none of that data is stored in the PCG file, but
      that would change.

      -Lone Jedi
      (Jason)

      --- In pcgen@y..., lonejedi70@h... wrote:
      > OK, here's my first quick pass at a screenshot...
      [snip the rest]
    • mynex2k1@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1, 2001
        Looks nice, will the display also show the psheets saved with their
        names? as in...

        NAME TEMPLATE Sheet
        Party {name} [blah path]\Psheet.html [blah path]\party (name).html
        ???

        Maybe add a 4th column in the front of name, denoting that it is a
        single character or a party, then in the NAME column, for single
        characters, it has their name, and for party it could list thier
        names as well? i.e.....

        TYPE NAME TEMPLATE SHEET
        Character #1 Joe Camel etc...
        Party #1 Joe Camel etc...
        Party #1 Sally Struthers etc...
        Character #2 Sally Struthers etc...
        Character #3 Marlboro Man etc...
        Party #2 Joe Camel etc...
        Party #2 Sally Struthers etc...
        Party #2 Marlboro Man etc...

        hrmm... make that add a 5th column for the #...

        One other slight problem I see with this as well. I don't know about
        anyone else, but I personally seperate my pcg files into my games
        run.. as in, I have a folder called "Evil Party", "Good Party"
        and "Mumah's Game" (my friend learning to GM)... the capability
        should be there to either select what folders will have pcg files or
        to scan for them and put them all in your screen (saving isn't a big
        deal, just keep as is, where you select what dir to put them in).

        I can't think of any other scenarios to make your life moe difficult
        right now, so I'll shut up. ;p

        It does look very good as is though, just trying to make suggestions
        so it's more thorough (Why revisit this later if you don't need to,
        eh?).

        Mynex

      • pjak@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 1, 2001
          Looks good, though I do have one question/comment. Is this intended
          to replace the preview tab on the characters? If so, I *really* want
          Preview in browser to be available here. Actually, I guess I want it
          to be available here either way. That's pretty much the only preview
          option I use.

          /Jonas
        • lonejedi70@hotmail.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 1, 2001
            I was planning to have the "Export Party" button prompt you for a
            psheet (remembering the last one you used), followed by asking you
            for a destination .htm (or whatever), then saving it. I had
            originaly though about adding another section onthe pane for party
            stuff, but it would be so small compared to a good sized group of PCs
            that it just looked funny. Putting a "Party" entry in the list, with
            associated template and sheet might work out better. Is there really
            a need for multiple sub-parties? The current party code doesn't
            support this, so I wouldn't expect to do any more (at least not right
            away).

            I keep all my PCGs in separate directories, as well. I only tend to
            load one group at a time, though. The way parties work right now, if
            you load 2 parties they become one, larger party. Changes to that
            would be outside the scope of the new export work.

            The way things are set up now, you can only export a PC that is
            currently loaded, so exporting from a list of all PCs in a folder
            would be problematic (though not impossible).

            -Lone Jedi
            (Jason)

            --- In pcgen@y..., mynex2k1@y... wrote:
            > Looks nice, will the display also show the psheets saved with their
            > names? as in...

            [snip example]

          • lonejedi70@hotmail.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 1, 2001
              Yes, it's been my understanding that it would replace the Preview
              tab. I didn't remember to put "Preview in Browser" on there, but it
              shoulda been ;) I know that there was someone (Mynex?) who wanted
              the crappy inline previewer that we currently have, so the Preview
              tab might stick around, but all the export stuff would be moved to
              the new export tab.

              I'd like to get everything shifted around (GUI-wise) and change the
              PCG and PCP formats to support this for the 2.1.4 load. If there are
              GUI problems then we can just do some tweaking. Theoretically it
              would be simple, then, to add a File|Export menu item if that's
              really wanted.

              -Lone Jedi
              (Jason)

              --- In pcgen@y..., pjak@y... wrote:
              > Looks good, though I do have one question/comment. Is this intended
              > to replace the preview tab on the characters? If so, I *really*
              want
              > Preview in browser to be available here. Actually, I guess I want
              it
              > to be available here either way. That's pretty much the only
              preview
              > option I use.
              >
              > /Jonas
            • Eric Statz
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 1, 2001
                --- In pcgen@y..., lonejedi70@h... wrote:
                > Yes, it's been my understanding that it would replace the Preview
                > tab. I didn't remember to put "Preview in Browser" on there, but
                it
                > shoulda been ;) I know that there was someone (Mynex?) who wanted
                > the crappy inline previewer that we currently have, so the Preview
                > tab might stick around, but all the export stuff would be moved to
                > the new export tab.

                I was the one who requested it stay, but its really not worth leaving
                in. I just used it for bug testing new tokens. I can suck it up and
                use preview in browser instead.

                -Eric
              • Mark Hulsman
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 1, 2001
                  > Yes, it's been my understanding that it would replace the Preview
                  > tab. I didn't remember to put "Preview in Browser" on there, but it
                  > shoulda been ;) I know that there was someone (Mynex?) who wanted
                  > the crappy inline previewer that we currently have, so the Preview
                  > tab might stick around, but all the export stuff would be moved to
                  > the new export tab.

                  I think it would be good to change the preview tab to be a stat block or
                  something that updates as you update the character. Not very hard to code
                  and it would be very useful.
                • loyalp@home.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 1, 2001
                    I really like this idea!

                    --- In pcgen@y..., "Mark Hulsman" <hulsmanm@p...> wrote:

                    > I think it would be good to change the preview tab to be a stat
                    block or
                    > something that updates as you update the character. Not very hard
                    to code
                    > and it would be very useful.
                  • Geoff
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 1, 2001
                      --- In pcgen@y..., lonejedi70@h... wrote:
                      > I was planning to have the "Export Party" button prompt you for a
                      > psheet (remembering the last one you used), followed by asking you
                      > for a destination .htm (or whatever), then saving it. I had
                      > originaly though about adding another section onthe pane for party
                      > stuff, but it would be so small compared to a good sized group of
                      PCs
                      > that it just looked funny. Putting a "Party" entry in the list,
                      with
                      > associated template and sheet might work out better.

                      I agree that having an entry (or two) for Party would be much better
                      than having to go through a multi-stage process each time.

                      What I find is that there while there's usually only one character
                      sheet format used per character, I use two or more party sheet
                      formats on a regular basis (combat, out of combat, magic, etc.).
                      Some way to support 2-3 saved templates (2-3 entries in the list, a
                      separate list for party sheets, etc.) would make my day.

                      > Is there really
                      > a need for multiple sub-parties? The current party code doesn't
                      > support this, so I wouldn't expect to do any more (at least not
                      right
                      > away).
                      > I keep all my PCGs in separate directories, as well. I only tend
                      > load one group at a time, though. The way parties work right now,
                      if
                      > you load 2 parties they become one, larger party. Changes to that
                      > would be outside the scope of the new export work.

                      Sub-parties would be nice, but as you say, that's a separate issue.
                      What I would expect is that if I loaded two parties, the party sheet
                      setting(s) from the most recently loaded party would be displayed.