Re: [pcgen] Re: PCGen 5.17.10 Dwarf Racial Tratis

  • James Dempsey
    Message 1 of 29 , Feb 4, 2012
      Hi Andrew,

      I think as an interim go back to what we had before:
      2. manually selecting either a single default ability, or the
      individual ability.

      I'd be happy to brainstorm ways of improving from there. That might be
      best done on exp or privately though until a good solution is found.

      Cheer,s
      James.

      On 5/02/2012 4:07 PM Andrew wrote
      > Hi James,
      >
      > Okay, what solution do you propose?
      >
      > 1) Kit grants all the racial choices - but the lists get bug reports if they change the race
      > 2) Have to manually add the choices, or take a single ability to grant the defaults
      > 3) Other?
      >
      > On 2/4/2012 8:27 PM, James Dempsey wrote:
      >> Hi Andrew,
      >>
      >> I think this change needs to be backed out. My reasons for this are:
      >>
      >> 1. The choices offered are pretty much incomprehensible to someone who
      >> doesn't know the issue at hand. Most people don't have a reason to care
      >> about this and should not be asked to make a decision on it for every
      >> character they make.
      >> 2. The all-caps text makes it harder to read not easier.
      >> 3. The code is not ready for this LST to be in. I understand you have
      >> raised a bug report, but currently I get three displays of the chooser.
      >> That's very confusing for me and I've been coding and using pcgen for 10
      >> years. The code and lst teams have to work together to give the user a
      >> good experience.
      >> 4. Our long term strategy is to reduce pop-ups. This is counter to that.
      >>
      >> Overall, this is the sort of change that scares people away from using
      >> the system..
      >>
      >> Cheers
      >> James.

    • swiftbrook8
      Message 2 of 29 , Feb 5, 2012
        OK, I didn't know I was opening such a can of worms when I posted my thoughts.

        As one not familiar with the OS programming side, I ask is it possible when a race is selected that PCGen assign the default racial traits? So if a user picks a Dwarf, changes it's racial traits and then picks Elf, PCGen will change the race to Elf, clear all previous racial traits and assign the default Dwarf traits.

        Oh, and for brevity, if it's not possible, you don't need to explain why :-).

        -Swiftbrook

        Message 3 of 29 , Feb 5, 2012

          We've hit upon a workable solution over on the _exp mailing list. I'll be implementing that solution.

          Message 4 of 29 , Feb 5, 2012

            I've implemented a working solution for the Racial Traits, and at another request, got the
            archetypes into their own pools for easier viewing.

            the latest stuff is revision: 16085

            Though, as a side affect, this will break any existing characters using archetypes.

            Give it a whirl and let me know. (You can grab the data only if you're not ready to play with the
            new UI).