Re: [pcgen] Re: PCGen 5.17.10 Dwarf Racial Tratis

  • David R. Bender
    Message 1 of 29 , Feb 3, 2012
      Yea, I hated the "it's broke, please fix it" bug reports also when I was
      still working. Let me give a proper one....

      1) Start up PCGen 5.17.10
      2) Load PF Core only
      3) File -> New
      4) Alignment -> NG, Race -> Dwarf (tab)
      5) Chooser -> Select 2nd line (Default racial traits xxx - May Change
      Race Freely)
      6) Add level of fighter, ignore name, stats, free clothing, etc.
      7) Look at "Feats & Abilities" -> "Racial Abilities" and the 1.Grant
      Default Racial Traits is in black and the 8 dwarf traits in yellow are
      on the right side of the page.
      9) Change race to Elf (tab)
      10) Select 1st line - (Preselect with swap out capability - do not
      change race) - have to do it twice.
      Generates this warnings:
      07:54:40.187 WARNING AWT-EventQueue-0 Kit:340 The following warnings
      were encountered when applying the kit Elf Racial Trait Default
      07:54:40.187 WARNING AWT-EventQueue-0 Kit:345 ABILITY: Not enough Elf
      Racial Traits available to take "Elven Immunities ~ Elf"
      07:54:40.188 WARNING AWT-EventQueue-0 Kit:345 ABILITY: Not enough Elf
      Racial Traits available to take "Elven Magic ~ Elf"
      07:54:40.188 WARNING AWT-EventQueue-0 Kit:345 ABILITY: Not enough Elf
      Racial Traits available to take "Weapon Familiarity ~ Elf"
      07:54:40.188 WARNING AWT-EventQueue-0 Kit:345 ABILITY: Not enough Elf
      Racial Traits available to take "Keen Senses ~ Elf"
      11) Look at "Feats & Abilities" -> "Racial Abilities" and the 4 elven
      traits in yellow are on the right side of the page and can not be
      swapped out.

      -- david
      Papa.DRB

      My better half and me (jpg)

      Message 2 of 29 , Feb 3, 2012

        So the CHOOSER is popping up by itself with race changes?!?!?! Someone broke Template Code then.
        Let me verify, and if so this is a high priority bug, since a TEMPLATE CHOOSE should never fire
        after being set.

      • David R. Bender
        Message 3 of 29 , Feb 3, 2012
          Yes, the CHOOSER is firing up when I change Dwarf to Elf.

          -- david
          Papa.DRB

          My better half and me (jpg)

        • James Dempsey
          Message 4 of 29 , Feb 4, 2012
            Hi Andrew,

            I think this change needs to be backed out. My reasons for this are:

            1. The choices offered are pretty much incomprehensible to someone who
            doesn't know the issue at hand. Most people don't have a reason to care
            about this and should not be asked to make a decision on it for every
            character they make.
            2. The all-caps text makes it harder to read not easier.
            3. The code is not ready for this LST to be in. I understand you have
            raised a bug report, but currently I get three displays of the chooser.
            That's very confusing for me and I've been coding and using pcgen for 10
            years. The code and lst teams have to work together to give the user a
            good experience.
            4. Our long term strategy is to reduce pop-ups. This is counter to that.

            Overall, this is the sort of change that scares people away from using
            the system..

            Cheers
            James.

            On 3/02/2012 9:40 AM Andrew wrote

            Message 5 of 29 , Feb 4, 2012
              Hi James,

              Okay, what solution do you propose?

              1) Kit grants all the racial choices - but the lists get bug reports if they change the race
              2) Have to manually add the choices, or take a single ability to grant the defaults
              3) Other?

            • James Dempsey
              Message 6 of 29 , Feb 4, 2012
                Hi Andrew,

                I think as an interim go back to what we had before:
                2. manually selecting either a single default ability, or the
                individual ability.

                I'd be happy to brainstorm ways of improving from there. That might be
                best done on exp or privately though until a good solution is found.

                Cheer,s
                James.

                On 5/02/2012 4:07 PM Andrew wrote
                > Hi James,
                >
                > Okay, what solution do you propose?
                >
                > 1) Kit grants all the racial choices - but the lists get bug reports if they change the race
                > 2) Have to manually add the choices, or take a single ability to grant the defaults
                > 3) Other?
                >
                > On 2/4/2012 8:27 PM, James Dempsey wrote:
                >> Hi Andrew,
                >>
                >> I think this change needs to be backed out. My reasons for this are:
                >>
                >> 1. The choices offered are pretty much incomprehensible to someone who
                >> doesn't know the issue at hand. Most people don't have a reason to care
                >> about this and should not be asked to make a decision on it for every
                >> character they make.
                >> 2. The all-caps text makes it harder to read not easier.
                >> 3. The code is not ready for this LST to be in. I understand you have
                >> raised a bug report, but currently I get three displays of the chooser.
                >> That's very confusing for me and I've been coding and using pcgen for 10
                >> years. The code and lst teams have to work together to give the user a
                >> good experience.
                >> 4. Our long term strategy is to reduce pop-ups. This is counter to that.
                >>
                >> Overall, this is the sort of change that scares people away from using
                >> the system..
                >>
                >> Cheers
                >> James.

              • swiftbrook8
                Message 7 of 29 , Feb 5, 2012
                  OK, I didn't know I was opening such a can of worms when I posted my thoughts.

                  As one not familiar with the OS programming side, I ask is it possible when a race is selected that PCGen assign the default racial traits? So if a user picks a Dwarf, changes it's racial traits and then picks Elf, PCGen will change the race to Elf, clear all previous racial traits and assign the default Dwarf traits.

                  Oh, and for brevity, if it's not possible, you don't need to explain why :-).

                  -Swiftbrook

                  Message 8 of 29 , Feb 5, 2012

                    We've hit upon a workable solution over on the _exp mailing list. I'll be implementing that solution.

                    Message 9 of 29 , Feb 5, 2012

                      I've implemented a working solution for the Racial Traits, and at another request, got the
                      archetypes into their own pools for easier viewing.

                      the latest stuff is revision: 16085

                      Though, as a side affect, this will break any existing characters using archetypes.

                      Give it a whirl and let me know. (You can grab the data only if you're not ready to play with the
                      new UI).