Export tab prototype screenshot

  • lonejedi70@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 31, 2001
      OK, here's my first quick pass at a screenshot. All loaded PCs and
      their associated templates are shown in the table. The "Select
      Template" button would bring up a FileChooser with the csheets
      available. When the user picks one, it would be applied to all of
      the currently selected PCs. "Export Selected" would do just that, to
      their individual csheets. "Export Party" would prompt you to pick a
      psheet, then pick a target, then it would save it.

      It seems to me that I should include another column for "Sheet" that
      lists the filename to save the sheet to.

      I could also add GUI elements for specifying the psheet and target,
      rather than showing 2 FileChoosers in a row...

      Since the Yahoo interface won't allow me to attach the screenshot
      file, I'll upload it to "Bugs and Features" in just a minute.

      -Lone Jedi
      (Jason)

      BTW, in the process of doing this prototype I uncovered a couple of
      bugs. I wrote up a report for one (closing the rightmost PC causes
      errors) and have made comments on the SourceForge board about some
      other post-2.1.2 work that has had side-effects, so this exercise has
      already been worthwhile :)
    • lonejedi70@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 31, 2001
        OK, I've got the shot up now (in Bugs and Features). I went ahead
        and added the colum n for "Sheet" and a button to select it, as
        well. Right now, none of that data is stored in the PCG file, but
        that would change.

        -Lone Jedi
        (Jason)

        --- In pcgen@y..., lonejedi70@h... wrote:
        > OK, here's my first quick pass at a screenshot...
        [snip the rest]
      • mynex2k1@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 1, 2001
          Looks nice, will the display also show the psheets saved with their
          names? as in...

          NAME TEMPLATE Sheet
          Party {name} [blah path]\Psheet.html [blah path]\party (name).html
          ???

          Maybe add a 4th column in the front of name, denoting that it is a
          single character or a party, then in the NAME column, for single
          characters, it has their name, and for party it could list thier
          names as well? i.e.....

          TYPE NAME TEMPLATE SHEET
          Character #1 Joe Camel etc...
          Party #1 Joe Camel etc...
          Party #1 Sally Struthers etc...
          Character #2 Sally Struthers etc...
          Character #3 Marlboro Man etc...
          Party #2 Joe Camel etc...
          Party #2 Sally Struthers etc...
          Party #2 Marlboro Man etc...

          hrmm... make that add a 5th column for the #...

          One other slight problem I see with this as well. I don't know about
          anyone else, but I personally seperate my pcg files into my games
          run.. as in, I have a folder called "Evil Party", "Good Party"
          and "Mumah's Game" (my friend learning to GM)... the capability
          should be there to either select what folders will have pcg files or
          to scan for them and put them all in your screen (saving isn't a big
          deal, just keep as is, where you select what dir to put them in).

          I can't think of any other scenarios to make your life moe difficult
          right now, so I'll shut up. ;p

          It does look very good as is though, just trying to make suggestions
          so it's more thorough (Why revisit this later if you don't need to,
          eh?).

          Mynex

        • pjak@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 1, 2001
            Looks good, though I do have one question/comment. Is this intended
            to replace the preview tab on the characters? If so, I *really* want
            Preview in browser to be available here. Actually, I guess I want it
            to be available here either way. That's pretty much the only preview
            option I use.

            /Jonas
          • lonejedi70@hotmail.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 1, 2001
              I was planning to have the "Export Party" button prompt you for a
              psheet (remembering the last one you used), followed by asking you
              for a destination .htm (or whatever), then saving it. I had
              originaly though about adding another section onthe pane for party
              stuff, but it would be so small compared to a good sized group of PCs
              that it just looked funny. Putting a "Party" entry in the list, with
              associated template and sheet might work out better. Is there really
              a need for multiple sub-parties? The current party code doesn't
              support this, so I wouldn't expect to do any more (at least not right
              away).

              I keep all my PCGs in separate directories, as well. I only tend to
              load one group at a time, though. The way parties work right now, if
              you load 2 parties they become one, larger party. Changes to that
              would be outside the scope of the new export work.

              The way things are set up now, you can only export a PC that is
              currently loaded, so exporting from a list of all PCs in a folder
              would be problematic (though not impossible).

              -Lone Jedi
              (Jason)

              --- In pcgen@y..., mynex2k1@y... wrote:
              > Looks nice, will the display also show the psheets saved with their
              > names? as in...

              [snip example]

            • lonejedi70@hotmail.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 1, 2001
                Yes, it's been my understanding that it would replace the Preview
                tab. I didn't remember to put "Preview in Browser" on there, but it
                shoulda been ;) I know that there was someone (Mynex?) who wanted
                the crappy inline previewer that we currently have, so the Preview
                tab might stick around, but all the export stuff would be moved to
                the new export tab.

                I'd like to get everything shifted around (GUI-wise) and change the
                PCG and PCP formats to support this for the 2.1.4 load. If there are
                GUI problems then we can just do some tweaking. Theoretically it
                would be simple, then, to add a File|Export menu item if that's
                really wanted.

                -Lone Jedi
                (Jason)

                --- In pcgen@y..., pjak@y... wrote:
                > Looks good, though I do have one question/comment. Is this intended
                > to replace the preview tab on the characters? If so, I *really*
                want
                > Preview in browser to be available here. Actually, I guess I want
                it
                > to be available here either way. That's pretty much the only
                preview
                > option I use.
                >
                > /Jonas
              • Eric Statz
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 1, 2001
                  --- In pcgen@y..., lonejedi70@h... wrote:
                  > Yes, it's been my understanding that it would replace the Preview
                  > tab. I didn't remember to put "Preview in Browser" on there, but
                  it
                  > shoulda been ;) I know that there was someone (Mynex?) who wanted
                  > the crappy inline previewer that we currently have, so the Preview
                  > tab might stick around, but all the export stuff would be moved to
                  > the new export tab.

                  I was the one who requested it stay, but its really not worth leaving
                  in. I just used it for bug testing new tokens. I can suck it up and
                  use preview in browser instead.

                  -Eric
                • Mark Hulsman
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 1, 2001
                    > Yes, it's been my understanding that it would replace the Preview
                    > tab. I didn't remember to put "Preview in Browser" on there, but it
                    > shoulda been ;) I know that there was someone (Mynex?) who wanted
                    > the crappy inline previewer that we currently have, so the Preview
                    > tab might stick around, but all the export stuff would be moved to
                    > the new export tab.

                    I think it would be good to change the preview tab to be a stat block or
                    something that updates as you update the character. Not very hard to code
                    and it would be very useful.
                  • loyalp@home.com
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 1, 2001
                      I really like this idea!

                      --- In pcgen@y..., "Mark Hulsman" <hulsmanm@p...> wrote:

                      > I think it would be good to change the preview tab to be a stat
                      block or
                      > something that updates as you update the character. Not very hard
                      to code
                      > and it would be very useful.
                    • Geoff
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 1, 2001
                        --- In pcgen@y..., lonejedi70@h... wrote:
                        > I was planning to have the "Export Party" button prompt you for a
                        > psheet (remembering the last one you used), followed by asking you
                        > for a destination .htm (or whatever), then saving it. I had
                        > originaly though about adding another section onthe pane for party
                        > stuff, but it would be so small compared to a good sized group of
                        PCs
                        > that it just looked funny. Putting a "Party" entry in the list,
                        with
                        > associated template and sheet might work out better.

                        I agree that having an entry (or two) for Party would be much better
                        than having to go through a multi-stage process each time.

                        What I find is that there while there's usually only one character
                        sheet format used per character, I use two or more party sheet
                        formats on a regular basis (combat, out of combat, magic, etc.).
                        Some way to support 2-3 saved templates (2-3 entries in the list, a
                        separate list for party sheets, etc.) would make my day.

                        > Is there really
                        > a need for multiple sub-parties? The current party code doesn't
                        > support this, so I wouldn't expect to do any more (at least not
                        right
                        > away).
                        > I keep all my PCGs in separate directories, as well. I only tend
                        > load one group at a time, though. The way parties work right now,
                        if
                        > you load 2 parties they become one, larger party. Changes to that
                        > would be outside the scope of the new export work.

                        Sub-parties would be nice, but as you say, that's a separate issue.
                        What I would expect is that if I loaded two parties, the party sheet
                        setting(s) from the most recently loaded party would be displayed.