Re: Loading Advanced Players Guide for Pathfinder

  • Phrofet
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 31, 2012
      Yep that fixed it! Thanks a lot

      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "pong3d" <pong3d@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > Maybe your having the same problem as me. After I moved everything over to the right side I needed to unload what was already loaded and reload everything.
      >
      > Dave
      >
      > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Phrofet" <lordphrofet@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello Everyone,
      > >
      > > I just downloaded PCGen and love the way it seems to work. The only problem is when I go to load the Advanced Players Guide it will not let me. I went to the Add screen. Moved all the appropriate files to the right side (all in black none in red). I made sure to remove the web enhancement that does not allow the Advanced Player's Guide to load. I name the Source collection. I hit OK....and nothing happens. Please someone explain to me what I am doing wrong. I downloaded this in the first place to have access to the APG and now I can't use it.

    • FerretDave
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2012
        Greetings,

        These are definately 'standard' questions that are asked often...
        Would it be possible for PCGen itself to flag these up as issues to the user when the program starts up?

        I.E detect the OS and starting dir and warn that you really ought to install elsewhere or reset the access rights, and similarly detect the Java version and complain/warn appropriately to say it should be different?

        Could save a lot of the same question appearing on the forum, and more importantly, helps prevent users being frustrated the first time they start the program up (Think of how many possibly give up completely and dont even get to the forum).

        Similarly - could/should such queries (and a quick 'howto' on loading the APG, which definately appears to be drawing the most new users) be put right at the very top of the help docs as a 'start here' section for basic troubleshooting?

        Cheers

        > Are you using Windows 7?
        > - Are you installed to the default 'Program Files' in c drive?
        > - Have you granted full access rights to the folder
        > - Are you running the program as an administrator
        >
        > Are you using JAVA 7?
        > - Only Java 5 and 6 currently work; and 5 is being phased out and 7 will eventually be phased in
        >
        > Which version of PCGen are you using?

      • Martijn Verburg
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2012
          Hi all

          **

          > Greetings,
          >
          > These are definately 'standard' questions that are asked often...
          > Would it be possible for PCGen itself to flag these up as issues to the
          > user when the program starts up?
          >
          > I.E detect the OS and starting dir and warn that you really ought to
          > install elsewhere or reset the access rights, and similarly detect the Java
          > version and complain/warn appropriately to say it should be different?
          >
          > Could save a lot of the same question appearing on the forum, and more
          > importantly, helps prevent users being frustrated the first time they start
          > the program up (Think of how many possibly give up completely and dont even
          > get to the forum).

          Agreed, I've forwarded your mail to the pcgen_developers list for
          consideration.

          > Similarly - could/should such queries (and a quick 'howto' on loading the
          > APG, which definately appears to be drawing the most new users) be put
          > right at the very top of the help docs as a 'start here' section for basic
          > troubleshooting?

          Good idea as well, in fact we already have
          http://jira.pcgen.org/browse/DOCS-39 covering this.

          Thanks for the feedback!