The roll(x) function

  • CalebU
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 27, 2012
      How would I code something with this function that rolled some dice and kept the first number it rolled, regardless of what it was? And secondly, how would I use this function IN a WT or COST tag?
    • Eric C Smith
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 27, 2012
        Hi Caleb!

        Unfortunately COST and WT do not take formulas. The Docs say Numbers only.

        Maredudd

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 27, 2012
          Hello again Caleb!

          On Jan 27, 2012, at 11:19 PM, CalebU wrote:

          > How would I code something with this function that rolled some dice and kept the first number it rolled, regardless of what it was? And secondly, how would I use this function IN a WT or COST tag?

          Do you know how many dice you want to role? When you say you want to keep the first, what exactly do you mean? If you're going to keep the first dice role why roll more than one dice?

          roll(1,6) would return the results from one d6 dice roll . . .

          I must be missing something . . . Can you give us a scenario upon which to build an answer?

          Thanks!

          Maredudd
        • Caleb Ulfers
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 28, 2012
            No, I don't know how many dice I would want to roll. When I said I wanted to keep the first, I meant roll the di(c)e once and keep that roll regardless of what it was. For example, say I wanted to roll one 12-sided die, I would roll that die once, and I would keep whatever number came up. I would do the same thing with multiple dice.

            To: pcgen@yahoogroups.com
            From: maredudd@...
            Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 23:48:19 -0500
            Subject: Re: [pcgen] The roll(x) function

            Hello again Caleb!

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 28, 2012

              You may have to talk with James. I believe every time that function is encountered it rolls again.

              On 1/28/2012 9:17 AM, Caleb Ulfers wrote:
              > No, I don't know how many dice I would want to roll. When I said I wanted to keep the first, I meant roll the di(c)e once and keep that roll regardless of what it was. For example, say I wanted to roll one 12-sided die, I would roll that die once, and I would keep whatever number came up. I would do the same thing with multiple dice.
              >
              > To: pcgen@yahoogroups.com
              > From: maredudd@...
              > Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 23:48:19 -0500
              > Subject: Re: [pcgen] The roll(x) function

              > Hello again Caleb!
              >

              > On Jan 27, 2012, at 11:19 PM, CalebU wrote:
              >

              >> How would I code something with this function that rolled some dice and kept the first number it rolled, regardless of what it was? And secondly, how would I use this function IN a WT or COST tag?
              >
              > Do you know how many dice you want to role? When you say you want to keep the first, what exactly do you mean? If you're going to keep the first dice role why roll more than one dice?
              >

              > roll(1,6) would return the results from one d6 dice roll . . .
              >

              > I must be missing something . . . Can you give us a scenario upon which to build an answer?
              >

              > Thanks!
              >

              > Maredudd

            • Susan Dittmar
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 30, 2012
                Quoting Caleb Ulfers (culfers@...):
                > No, I don't know how many dice I would want to roll. When I said I wanted
                > to keep the first, I meant roll the di(c)e once and keep that roll
                > regardless of what it was. For example, say I wanted to roll one 12-sided
                > die, I would roll that die once, and I would keep whatever number came
                > up. I would do the same thing with multiple dice.

                Sounds to me that what you want is what the kits create: Those allow to
                roll once, then apply an ability or a bonus according to the roll's result.
                Thus the added ability later does not know about randomness, it only knows
                about the choice the kit made.

                Did you investigate in this direction? Maybe by using this you can archieve
                what you want already without need for a new tag.

                Hope that helps,

                Susan