Re: psheet generation

  • Geoff
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 31, 2001
      --- In pcgen@y..., lonejedi70@h... wrote:
      > How about this:
      >
      > A new "Export" tab in the same tab group after "Campaign" and "DM
      > Tools" but before the PC tabs. It will replace the "Preview" tab
      > from each character. It will have a table (or some GUI thing)
      with
      > all the PCs listed, and an associated template (stored in the
      PCG).
      > You can update the selected template, or export that PC. In a
      > separate area (of the same panel) is a party template selection
      and a
      > single export button.
      >
      > I can make up a screen shot if that would help any...

      That could be good too...I'd be happy to comment on the screenshot.
    • Arcady
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 1, 2001
        incremental is the only way to go to get it actually done.

        With each new feature or GUI change making it into each new release.

        Perhaps a dual solution. Keep preview around... but put in standard GUI
        tools under the File pulldown.

        PCGen is not an easy app to use. I've no problems with it. But I regularly
        sit and watch my players stare at it with blank expressions trying to figure
        out how to do the most simple of things...

        It's the first time since the 80s I've ever had non technical people for
        players and frankly; it's a real eye opener.

        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 2, 2001

          Tabs are for information, with only enough interaction to allow meaningful
          editing of that information. Menus are for functionalility, especially
          input/output functionality. Preview isn't information, it's functionality,
          so it belongs on a menu.

          Properly implemented, it would mean no more "painful" in terms of navigation
          that the current system (and more familiar to most users), which involves
          macro movements of the mouse, instead of the short movements that properly
          designed menus entail. For a new character, or one that you are previewing
          or exporting for the first time, menus would be *fewer* mouse strokes.

          As it stands now, you have to select the "Preview" tab, click the "Select a
          Template" button, then choose a template from a popup box (and change the
          template type, if you want the party sheet), then press the "Export To"
          button, select a file name from another pop up box, then press the "Export"
          or "Preview in Browser" button. Note how far your hand moves in the various
          steps of this operation, from one end of the screen to the other. This
          means means that your eyes are also moving. It's easier to lose track of
          where the next operation is when your hand and eye have to make large
          movements, forcing you to have to look at it more closely.

          Aside from the movement, I could almost live with this for characters alone,
          as inconvenient as it is. I will admit that I sometimes lose my place on
          the preview tab, but I eventually get there. If you want a party sheet,
          however, you need to be on the preview tab of one of the characters
          (non-intuitive all by itself), and you have to take all of these steps
          *every* time you want to make a party sheet when you make a change to one of
          the characters.

          Contrast that to a context sensitive "Export" menu option, File->Export (two
          clicks, but they are physically close together, which is much easier for
          most users), select a template (the type of which is already the default
          because of where you started from, and which will be remembered the next
          time you start from the same place), then select an output file name (the
          name and location of which are also saved and used the next time you start
          from the same place). If the file navigation boxes are properly placed,
          i.e. near the top left of the window near the File menu, this involves
          micro-movements of the mouse, rather than macro-movements.

          I realize this breaks with the current design of PCGen, but I see that as a
          Good Thing, not something to be avoided. It's more in keeping with how most
          GUI programs are designed, regardless of platform, and that makes it easier
          for someone who's new to the program to get up to speed.

          I'll admit that my arguments may seem esoteric to some people, but I spent a
          few months putting some inteface guidelines together for the company for
          which I work. Making people move their mouse all over the screen, and
          navigate through multiple dialogs to accomplish *one* thing is a big no-no.
          Tabs may be easier to implement that menus, I don't know, not having gotten
          that far in Java yet, but adding a new tab for functionality is a step
          backward, not forward, as far as the interface is concerned. IMNECTHO.

          Brass

          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 2, 2001

            Exactly. With just one more step.

            > So we have 3 styles of export:

            If Java menus can be manipulated at run-time (and IIRC they can be), then
            you don't even need two sets of menu options. It can be context sensitive,
            and execute the appropriate functionality depending on whether you are on a
            character or one of the party screens.

            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 2, 2001

              Why? Incremental changes are usually easier to deal with and test reliably,
              whereas wholesale changes can be a bear to debug.

              Brass

              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 2, 2001

                > > Seriously...at some point there will be a GUI change, but it might
                > > as well be wholesale rather than incremental.
                >
                > Why? Incremental changes are usually easier to deal with and test
                reliably,
                > whereas wholesale changes can be a bear to debug.
                >
                > Brass

                I agree with this sentiment - sometimes changes have to be wholesale
                in nature, but that's rarely a necessity unless we're moving around
                large pieces of functionality. Just cleaning up a tab can be done
                individually, and deciding if we want to use a tab and/or menuing to
                generate PCGen's output doesn't impact much of the gui so it can be
                done in a fairly isolated manner as well. I like the idea of the
                preview tab becoming a kind of automatically-updated statblock that
                updates itself everytime you view the tab. I would like to be able
                to generate output files in the least number of clicks possible -
                which may mean using a combination of menus & tabs.

                -Bryan