Re: [pcgen] Pathfinder Society question

  • Eric C Smith
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 8, 2012
      Hi Timothy!

      PCGen does not currently distribute a PFS set but I know one is in development. I'd have to check to see if we are implementing a Prestige Point mechanic but in the end we should implement some way to add the prestige awards purchased with prestige points. That I know should be easily possible as long as we have a clear definition of what those awards are. I note that the table of such awards in the Guide to the PFS are all one-time things that do not require a pp implementation.

      Maredudd

      Timothy Reaves wrote:

      > Well, it's not exactly free. It requires one prestige point (with,
      > incidentally, is something that I can't seem to find supported in PCGen).
      > The scenario is #3-06, Song of the Sea Witch. For my characters assistance
      > in recovering the Celestial Song and Infernal Incantation, my character is
      > allowed to spend one prestige point to study ether of the books, which
      > grants then either Celestial (for study of the Infernal Incantation) of
      > Infernal (for study of the Celestial Song).
      >
      > On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 12:58 AM, Eric C Smith <maredudd@...>wrote:
      >
      > > Hi Timothy!
      > >
      > > Which scenario? If we can detrmine which mechanism is used to grant the
      > > language we can better determine how to help.
      > >
      > > Maredudd
      > >
      > > Sent from my iPhone
      > >
      > > On Jan 7, 2012, at 9:20 PM, Timothy Reaves <treaves@...>
      > > wrote:
      > >
      > > > I just completed a scenario that grants me an extra language. I can not
      > > > figure out how to get PCGen to allow me to add it to my character. When I
      > > > go to the languages section, it shows 0 available. Any help appreciated.

      > > PCGen List File Help:

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Eric C Smith
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 8, 2012
        Hello again Timothy!

        I just realized that we have a PFS set ready to go out with the next release, and it does not seem to have a prestige point implementation included.

        Maredudd

        On Jan 8, 2012, at 11:27 AM, Eric C Smith wrote:

        > Hi Timothy!
        >
        > PCGen does not currently distribute a PFS set but I know one is in development. I'd have to check to see if we are implementing a Prestige Point mechanic but in the end we should implement some way to add the prestige awards purchased with prestige points. That I know should be easily possible as long as we have a clear definition of what those awards are. I note that the table of such awards in the Guide to the PFS are all one-time things that do not require a pp implementation.
        >
        > Maredudd
        >
        > Timothy Reaves wrote:
        >
        >> Well, it's not exactly free. It requires one prestige point (with,
        >> incidentally, is something that I can't seem to find supported in PCGen).
        >> The scenario is #3-06, Song of the Sea Witch. For my characters assistance
        >> in recovering the Celestial Song and Infernal Incantation, my character is
        >> allowed to spend one prestige point to study ether of the books, which
        >> grants then either Celestial (for study of the Infernal Incantation) of
        >> Infernal (for study of the Celestial Song).
        >>
        >> On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 12:58 AM, Eric C Smith <maredudd@...>wrote:
        >>
        >>> Hi Timothy!
        >>>
        >>> Which scenario? If we can detrmine which mechanism is used to grant the
        >>> language we can better determine how to help.
        >>>
        >>> Maredudd
        >>>
        >>> Sent from my iPhone

        >>> PCGen List File Help:

        >>> Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Timothy Reaves
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 8, 2012
          I'd like to give this a try, but, I can not figure out how to create a new
          template. I see where to add existing ones, but that's it.

          On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 12:12 AM, Andrew <drew0500@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >

          > On 1/7/2012 6:20 PM, Timothy Reaves wrote:
          > > I just completed a scenario that grants me an extra language. I can not
          > > figure out how to get PCGen to allow me to add it to my character. When
          > > go to the languages section, it shows 0 available. Any help appreciated.
          >
          > Interesting - I've never heard of free languages before.
          >

          > You have a few options.
          >
          > 1) If you know the language granted - Make a Template Called "Free
          > Language (Common)" or whatever
          > the language you want
          >
          > Free Language (Common)
          > LANGAUTO:Common
          >
          > Tada, easy as apple pie. Apply the template and you have a new language
          > 'Common'.
          >
          > 2) Create a Template call it whatever and place BONUS:LANGUAGES|NUMBER|1
          > in it
          >
          > Free Language Slot
          > BONUS:LANGUAGES|NUMBER|1
          >
          > 3) You can give yourself an extra skill point and take 'Speak Language'
          > take the language you want.
          >
          > Either method will work, though I think #2 is the one you'll prefer.
          >
          > Cheers,
          >
          > Cheers,

          > > PCGen List File Help:
          > >
          > > PCGen Experimental:
          > > Yahoo! Groups Links
          > >

          > --
          > Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
          > Data 2nd, Docs Tamarin, OS Lemur
          > Unique Title "The Torturer of PCGen"

          > PCGen List File Help:

        • FerretDave
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 9, 2012
            Greetings,

            Sounds like an Ability Pool, to apply (hidden) scenario specific templates to gain the benefits.

            and probably another set of (visible) templates to indicate 'completed scenario: X', which increase the number of points in the ability pool? (one per official scenario I guess?)

            I dont use PFS, just suggesting a method that I think would be easy (ish).

            Cheers

            > Hi Timothy!
            >
            > PCGen does not currently distribute a PFS set but I know one is in development. I'd have to check to see if we are implementing a Prestige Point mechanic but in the end we should implement some way to add the prestige awards purchased with prestige points. That I know should be easily possible as long as we have a clear definition of what those awards are. I note that the table of such awards in the Guide to the PFS are all one-time things that do not require a pp implementation.
            >
            > Maredudd
            >
            > Timothy Reaves wrote:
            >
            > > Well, it's not exactly free. It requires one prestige point (with,
            > > incidentally, is something that I can't seem to find supported in PCGen).
            > > The scenario is #3-06, Song of the Sea Witch. For my characters assistance
            > > in recovering the Celestial Song and Infernal Incantation, my character is
            > > allowed to spend one prestige point to study ether of the books, which
            > > grants then either Celestial (for study of the Infernal Incantation) of
            > > Infernal (for study of the Celestial Song).
            > >
            > > On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 12:58 AM, Eric C Smith <maredudd@...>wrote:
            > >
            > > > Hi Timothy!
            > > >
            > > > Which scenario? If we can detrmine which mechanism is used to grant the
            > > > language we can better determine how to help.
            > > >
            > > > Maredudd
            > > >
            > > > Sent from my iPhone

            > > > PCGen List File Help:

            > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Lee Dowd
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 9, 2012
              Actually you can get several during a scenario.  I believe it's one for completeing it and forget whether it's one or 2 more for completeing faction goals.  They can be spent on a number of things including equipment I believe.  It's on the web site.

              Lee

              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 10, 2012
                Would some one please point me to the docs on how to create one of these
                please?

              • David R. Bender
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 10, 2012
                  Start up PCGen and using the help, "list file", "list file class",
                  "class 18"

                  -- david
                  Papa.DRB

                  My better half and me (jpg)

                • Timothy Reaves
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 10, 2012
                    You do that to create a template? No wonder I couldn't figure it out...

                  • Timothy Reaves
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 10, 2012
                      O.K., I've created a template with a source of "BONUS:LANGUAGES|NUMBER|1".
                      I've added it to my character. Is it supposed to do something? Becasue it
                      doesn't let me select a new language.

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 10, 2012
                        Hi,

                        On 1/10/2012 3:10 PM, Timothy Reaves wrote:
                        > O.K., I've created a template with a source of "BONUS:LANGUAGES|NUMBER|1".
                        > I've added it to my character. Is it supposed to do something? Becasue it
                        > doesn't let me select a new language.

                        Check your preferences - Enable 'Allow Selection of Int Bonus Languages after 1st level' under the
                        House Rules section.

                        Cheers,

                        > On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 12:46 PM, Timothy Reaves
                        > <treaves@...>wrote:
                        >
                        >> You do that to create a template? No wonder I couldn't figure it out...
                        >>

                        >> On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 9:32 AM, David R. Bender <Papa.DRB@...>wrote:
                        >>
                        >>> Start up PCGen and using the help, "list file", "list file class",
                        >>> "class 18"
                        >>>
                        >>> -- david
                        >>> Papa.DRB
                        >>>
                        >>> My better half and me (jpg)
                        >>> <
                        >>> https://picasaweb.google.com/102726903532570043857/Family#slideshow/5533056948910114610
                        >>> Love Me If You Can by Toby Keith (video)
                        >>> <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Qu7jGYzS_A>

                        >>> For those who believe, no proof is necessary, for those who don't
                        >>> believe, no proof is possible. (Stuart Chase 1888-1985)

                        >>> new

                        >>> not

                        >>> language

                        >>> BONUS:LANGUAGES|NUMBER|1

                        >>> Language'

                        >>> http://wiki.pcgen.org/Mailing_Lists_and_PCGen_Links

                        >>> PCGen List File Help:
                        >>>
                        >>> PCGen Experimental:
                        >>> Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Timothy Reaves
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 10, 2012
                          Even though my character does have an int bonus, even setting that house
                          rule does not allow the selection of another language...

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 10, 2012
                            Did you try restarting the program?

                            I created the template
                            - saved the file.
                            Started PCGen
                            Create New Character
                            Stats all 11's
                            Add Template
                            Languages allow 1 selection.

                            It appears the code works...

                            Can you repeat the steps and see if it works for at least a new character? If it's not working in
                            either case, then we'll need to drill down and find the root of the issue.

                            Cheers,

                          • Timothy Reaves
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 10, 2012
                              I finally figured out how to do it with a template. Thanks all.