Re: [pcgen] Pathfinder Society question

  • Timothy Reaves
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 8, 2012
      Well, it's not exactly free. It requires one prestige point (with,
      incidentally, is something that I can't seem to find supported in PCGen).
      The scenario is #3-06, Song of the Sea Witch. For my characters assistance
      in recovering the Celestial Song and Infernal Incantation, my character is
      allowed to spend one prestige point to study ether of the books, which
      grants then either Celestial (for study of the Infernal Incantation) of
      Infernal (for study of the Celestial Song).

      On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 12:58 AM, Eric C Smith <maredudd@...>wrote:

      > Hi Timothy!
      >
      > Which scenario? If we can detrmine which mechanism is used to grant the
      > language we can better determine how to help.
      >
      > Maredudd
      >
      > Sent from my iPhone
      >
      > On Jan 7, 2012, at 9:20 PM, Timothy Reaves <treaves@...>
      > wrote:
      >
      > > I just completed a scenario that grants me an extra language. I can not
      > > figure out how to get PCGen to allow me to add it to my character. When I
      > > go to the languages section, it shows 0 available. Any help appreciated.

      > PCGen List File Help:

    • Eric C Smith
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 8, 2012
        Hi Timothy!

        PCGen does not currently distribute a PFS set but I know one is in development. I'd have to check to see if we are implementing a Prestige Point mechanic but in the end we should implement some way to add the prestige awards purchased with prestige points. That I know should be easily possible as long as we have a clear definition of what those awards are. I note that the table of such awards in the Guide to the PFS are all one-time things that do not require a pp implementation.

        Maredudd

        Timothy Reaves wrote:

        > Well, it's not exactly free. It requires one prestige point (with,
        > incidentally, is something that I can't seem to find supported in PCGen).
        > The scenario is #3-06, Song of the Sea Witch. For my characters assistance
        > in recovering the Celestial Song and Infernal Incantation, my character is
        > allowed to spend one prestige point to study ether of the books, which
        > grants then either Celestial (for study of the Infernal Incantation) of
        > Infernal (for study of the Celestial Song).
        >
        > On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 12:58 AM, Eric C Smith <maredudd@...>wrote:
        >
        > > Hi Timothy!
        > >
        > > Which scenario? If we can detrmine which mechanism is used to grant the
        > > language we can better determine how to help.
        > >
        > > Maredudd
        > >
        > > Sent from my iPhone
        > >
        > > On Jan 7, 2012, at 9:20 PM, Timothy Reaves <treaves@...>
        > > wrote:
        > >
        > > > I just completed a scenario that grants me an extra language. I can not
        > > > figure out how to get PCGen to allow me to add it to my character. When I
        > > > go to the languages section, it shows 0 available. Any help appreciated.

        > > PCGen List File Help:

        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Eric C Smith
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 8, 2012
          Hello again Timothy!

          I just realized that we have a PFS set ready to go out with the next release, and it does not seem to have a prestige point implementation included.

          Maredudd

          On Jan 8, 2012, at 11:27 AM, Eric C Smith wrote:

          > Hi Timothy!
          >
          > PCGen does not currently distribute a PFS set but I know one is in development. I'd have to check to see if we are implementing a Prestige Point mechanic but in the end we should implement some way to add the prestige awards purchased with prestige points. That I know should be easily possible as long as we have a clear definition of what those awards are. I note that the table of such awards in the Guide to the PFS are all one-time things that do not require a pp implementation.
          >
          > Maredudd
          >
          > Timothy Reaves wrote:
          >
          >> Well, it's not exactly free. It requires one prestige point (with,
          >> incidentally, is something that I can't seem to find supported in PCGen).
          >> The scenario is #3-06, Song of the Sea Witch. For my characters assistance
          >> in recovering the Celestial Song and Infernal Incantation, my character is
          >> allowed to spend one prestige point to study ether of the books, which
          >> grants then either Celestial (for study of the Infernal Incantation) of
          >> Infernal (for study of the Celestial Song).
          >>
          >> On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 12:58 AM, Eric C Smith <maredudd@...>wrote:
          >>
          >>> Hi Timothy!
          >>>
          >>> Which scenario? If we can detrmine which mechanism is used to grant the
          >>> language we can better determine how to help.
          >>>
          >>> Maredudd
          >>>
          >>> Sent from my iPhone

          >>> PCGen List File Help:

          >>> Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Timothy Reaves
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 8, 2012
            I'd like to give this a try, but, I can not figure out how to create a new
            template. I see where to add existing ones, but that's it.

            On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 12:12 AM, Andrew <drew0500@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            >

            > On 1/7/2012 6:20 PM, Timothy Reaves wrote:
            > > I just completed a scenario that grants me an extra language. I can not
            > > figure out how to get PCGen to allow me to add it to my character. When
            > > go to the languages section, it shows 0 available. Any help appreciated.
            >
            > Interesting - I've never heard of free languages before.
            >

            > You have a few options.
            >
            > 1) If you know the language granted - Make a Template Called "Free
            > Language (Common)" or whatever
            > the language you want
            >
            > Free Language (Common)
            > LANGAUTO:Common
            >
            > Tada, easy as apple pie. Apply the template and you have a new language
            > 'Common'.
            >
            > 2) Create a Template call it whatever and place BONUS:LANGUAGES|NUMBER|1
            > in it
            >
            > Free Language Slot
            > BONUS:LANGUAGES|NUMBER|1
            >
            > 3) You can give yourself an extra skill point and take 'Speak Language'
            > take the language you want.
            >
            > Either method will work, though I think #2 is the one you'll prefer.
            >
            > Cheers,
            >
            > Cheers,

            > > PCGen List File Help:
            > >
            > > PCGen Experimental:
            > > Yahoo! Groups Links
            > >

            > --
            > Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
            > Data 2nd, Docs Tamarin, OS Lemur
            > Unique Title "The Torturer of PCGen"

            > PCGen List File Help:

          • FerretDave
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 9, 2012
              Greetings,

              Sounds like an Ability Pool, to apply (hidden) scenario specific templates to gain the benefits.

              and probably another set of (visible) templates to indicate 'completed scenario: X', which increase the number of points in the ability pool? (one per official scenario I guess?)

              I dont use PFS, just suggesting a method that I think would be easy (ish).

              Cheers

              > Hi Timothy!
              >
              > PCGen does not currently distribute a PFS set but I know one is in development. I'd have to check to see if we are implementing a Prestige Point mechanic but in the end we should implement some way to add the prestige awards purchased with prestige points. That I know should be easily possible as long as we have a clear definition of what those awards are. I note that the table of such awards in the Guide to the PFS are all one-time things that do not require a pp implementation.
              >
              > Maredudd
              >
              > Timothy Reaves wrote:
              >
              > > Well, it's not exactly free. It requires one prestige point (with,
              > > incidentally, is something that I can't seem to find supported in PCGen).
              > > The scenario is #3-06, Song of the Sea Witch. For my characters assistance
              > > in recovering the Celestial Song and Infernal Incantation, my character is
              > > allowed to spend one prestige point to study ether of the books, which
              > > grants then either Celestial (for study of the Infernal Incantation) of
              > > Infernal (for study of the Celestial Song).
              > >
              > > On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 12:58 AM, Eric C Smith <maredudd@...>wrote:
              > >
              > > > Hi Timothy!
              > > >
              > > > Which scenario? If we can detrmine which mechanism is used to grant the
              > > > language we can better determine how to help.
              > > >
              > > > Maredudd
              > > >
              > > > Sent from my iPhone

              > > > PCGen List File Help:

              > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Lee Dowd
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 9, 2012
                Actually you can get several during a scenario.  I believe it's one for completeing it and forget whether it's one or 2 more for completeing faction goals.  They can be spent on a number of things including equipment I believe.  It's on the web site.

                Lee

                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 10, 2012
                  Would some one please point me to the docs on how to create one of these
                  please?

                • David R. Bender
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 10, 2012
                    Start up PCGen and using the help, "list file", "list file class",
                    "class 18"

                    -- david
                    Papa.DRB

                    My better half and me (jpg)

                  • Timothy Reaves
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 10, 2012
                      You do that to create a template? No wonder I couldn't figure it out...

                    • Timothy Reaves
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 10, 2012
                        O.K., I've created a template with a source of "BONUS:LANGUAGES|NUMBER|1".
                        I've added it to my character. Is it supposed to do something? Becasue it
                        doesn't let me select a new language.

                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 10, 2012

                          On 1/10/2012 3:10 PM, Timothy Reaves wrote:
                          > O.K., I've created a template with a source of "BONUS:LANGUAGES|NUMBER|1".
                          > I've added it to my character. Is it supposed to do something? Becasue it
                          > doesn't let me select a new language.

                          Check your preferences - Enable 'Allow Selection of Int Bonus Languages after 1st level' under the
                          House Rules section.

                          Cheers,

                          > On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 12:46 PM, Timothy Reaves
                          > <treaves@...>wrote:
                          >
                          >> You do that to create a template? No wonder I couldn't figure it out...
                          >>

                          >> On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 9:32 AM, David R. Bender <Papa.DRB@...>wrote:
                          >>
                          >>> Start up PCGen and using the help, "list file", "list file class",
                          >>> "class 18"
                          >>>
                          >>> -- david
                          >>> Papa.DRB
                          >>>
                          >>> My better half and me (jpg)
                          >>> <
                          >>> https://picasaweb.google.com/102726903532570043857/Family#slideshow/5533056948910114610
                          >>> Love Me If You Can by Toby Keith (video)
                          >>> <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Qu7jGYzS_A>

                          >>> For those who believe, no proof is necessary, for those who don't
                          >>> believe, no proof is possible. (Stuart Chase 1888-1985)

                          >>> new

                          >>> not

                          >>> language

                          >>> BONUS:LANGUAGES|NUMBER|1

                          >>> Language'

                          >>> http://wiki.pcgen.org/Mailing_Lists_and_PCGen_Links

                          >>> PCGen List File Help:
                          >>>
                          >>> PCGen Experimental:
                          >>> Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Timothy Reaves
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 10, 2012
                            Even though my character does have an int bonus, even setting that house
                            rule does not allow the selection of another language...

                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 10, 2012
                              Did you try restarting the program?

                              I created the template
                              - saved the file.
                              Started PCGen
                              Create New Character
                              Stats all 11's
                              Add Template
                              Languages allow 1 selection.

                              It appears the code works...

                              Can you repeat the steps and see if it works for at least a new character? If it's not working in
                              either case, then we'll need to drill down and find the root of the issue.

                              Cheers,

                            • Timothy Reaves
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 10, 2012
                                I finally figured out how to do it with a template. Thanks all.