Re: PCGen GenCon presence 2012

  • resident
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 6, 2012
      I think it's worthwhile to have a booth, and it certainly would be nice to get the discount rate and not have to rely on just a few people to pay for it. I'm fairly certain I'll be at GenCon this year and I'm sure I would drop by the booth frequently. :)

      It would seem that each year that PCGen has had a booth, more contacts have been made. The face-to-face time to be with publishers can also be valuable.

      -Bryan

      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, pcgen-owner@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > So the new year is already here, and the deadline for getting a discount for re-scheduling a booth for GenCon is also coming up soon (Jan 25th).
      >
      > I think last year worked out really well in terms of booth staffing. I was there the majority of the time, but had help in the forms of Todd Wiley, Doug Limmer, & Jonathan Thompson. I handed out all but a few handful of the fliers, including some I had left from last year! And the publisher and consumer response to having a CD with multiple digital roleplaying aids on it was really well recieved.
      >
      > I believe we had a couple of code people get involved directly as a response of one of us talking to them at the booth (especially Devon Jones coming back, yea!). So I think that on that side it was a good result.
      >
      > But it also is a fairly hefty chunk of change ($1400 just for the booth, I cover most of the rest of the incidentals out of pocket). Last year we had a donation drive which greatly relieved the stress on Kar's pocket book, he matches donations dollar for dollar, and then covers any shortfall. Thanks Kar!
      >
      > Last year we raised more than $400USD via donations which is great! But at the same time the majority of them came through AFTER we had to reserve the booth to get the discount. To reserve the booth it required at least a 50% non-refundable deposit ($700USD), which can put a strain on anyone's pocket, let alone a purely volunteer project. If we do have a booth this year I would like to see if we as
      > the users can raise even more so that the burden doesn't fall so heavily on just a few people.
      >
      > So what are all the users opinion's/feelings on having a Booth at GenCon again this year? Do people see the good in it, think it's a waste of volunteer money & time, or meh, don't care either way?
      >
      > Link to Donate to PCGen.
      > http://sourceforge.net/project/project_donations.php?group_id=25576

    • Martijn Verburg
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 7, 2012
        I'd _love_ to see us at Gencon again this year - we always get our $$ in
        terms of new users/developers/publishers offering us data sets and more!

        Once more I'll match donations $ for $ to get us there - time to get your
        revenge and make the Ninja Monkeys pay folks!

        On 7 January 2012 07:03, resident <merton_monk@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > I think it's worthwhile to have a booth, and it certainly would be nice to
        > get the discount rate and not have to rely on just a few people to pay for
        > it. I'm fairly certain I'll be at GenCon this year and I'm sure I would
        > drop by the booth frequently. :)
        >
        > It would seem that each year that PCGen has had a booth, more contacts
        > have been made. The face-to-face time to be with publishers can also be
        > valuable.
        >
        > -Bryan
        >

        > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, pcgen-owner@yahoogroups.com wrote:
        > >
        > > So the new year is already here, and the deadline for getting a discount
        > for re-scheduling a booth for GenCon is also coming up soon (Jan 25th).
        > >
        > > I think last year worked out really well in terms of booth staffing. I
        > was there the majority of the time, but had help in the forms of Todd
        > Wiley, Doug Limmer, & Jonathan Thompson. I handed out all but a few handful
        > of the fliers, including some I had left from last year! And the publisher
        > and consumer response to having a CD with multiple digital roleplaying aids
        > on it was really well recieved.
        > >
        > > I believe we had a couple of code people get involved directly as a
        > response of one of us talking to them at the booth (especially Devon Jones
        > coming back, yea!). So I think that on that side it was a good result.
        > >
        > > But it also is a fairly hefty chunk of change ($1400 just for the booth,
        > I cover most of the rest of the incidentals out of pocket). Last year we
        > had a donation drive which greatly relieved the stress on Kar's pocket
        > book, he matches donations dollar for dollar, and then covers any
        > shortfall. Thanks Kar!
        > >
        > > Last year we raised more than $400USD via donations which is great! But
        > at the same time the majority of them came through AFTER we had to reserve
        > the booth to get the discount. To reserve the booth it required at least a
        > 50% non-refundable deposit ($700USD), which can put a strain on anyone's
        > pocket, let alone a purely volunteer project. If we do have a booth this
        > year I would like to see if we as
        > > the users can raise even more so that the burden doesn't fall so heavily
        > on just a few people.
        > >
        > > So what are all the users opinion's/feelings on having a Booth at GenCon
        > again this year? Do people see the good in it, think it's a waste of
        > volunteer money & time, or meh, don't care either way?
        > >
        > > Link to Donate to PCGen.
        > > http://sourceforge.net/project/project_donations.php?group_id=25576

      • Paul
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 7, 2012
          I should also mention that another way to donate is to order a character portrait from RPG Character Illustrations, using the following link. The PCGen project gets 10% of the sale through an affiliate program.

          https://www.e-junkie.com/ecom/gb.php?cl=154598&c=ib&aff=154875" target="ejejcsingle