vi syntax file for lst?

  • RoninKelt
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 2, 2012
      Has anyone coded up a syntax file for vi to use when coding lst or pcc files? If so would you be willing to share it?

      Dave
    • Barak
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 2, 2012

        If we have any, they're here:

        http://wiki.pcgen.org/Text_Editors

        Barak
      • RoninKelt
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 2, 2012
          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Barak" <barak@...> wrote:

> [...]

          This was greatly helpful - I'm going to adapt one of these to vi. Will share back as soon as I can get it working to my satisfaction.

          Dave
        • resident
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 4, 2012
            Wow... I still use vi when I'm on a unix system. I never liked emacs. Since the lst files are tab delimited, using an editor that handles that kind of white-space delimiter is handy. Excel does a lot of the work for you in that regard. :)
            It's always been a desire to get the built-in editors to the point where external file editors aren't necessary.

            -Bryan
            p.s. Happy New Year everyone!

            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "RoninKelt" <deltadave@...> wrote:

          • Martijn Verburg
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 4, 2012
              And welcome back Mr Monk, has been awhile :-)

              On 4 January 2012 19:02, resident <merton_monk@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > Wow... I still use vi when I'm on a unix system. I never liked emacs.
              > Since the lst files are tab delimited, using an editor that handles that
              > kind of white-space delimiter is handy. Excel does a lot of the work for
              > you in that regard. :)
              > It's always been a desire to get the built-in editors to the point where
              > external file editors aren't necessary.
              >
              > -Bryan
              > p.s. Happy New Year everyone!

            • FerretDave
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 5, 2012
                Greetings,

                I use 'vim' (VI iMproved) and use that on windows & unix (touch typist - I use the keyboard as much as possible).

                in the _vimrc file (in the c:\program files\vim\ directory) I've added:
                syntax on
                filetype on
                au BufNewFile,BufRead *.lst,*.pcc set ft=pcge

                " henk@... developed these mappings to map horizontal alignment to vertical alignment
                "(F2) and back (F3) in vim.
                " Press F2 when opening a file, press F3 before saving the file.
                " Do not press F2 more than once. Add comments, but always use two newlines,
                "> two before the comment line, two after.

                nmap <F2> :%!perl -p -e "s/\n/\n\n/g ; s/\t+/\n\t/g;"<CR>
                nmap <F3> :%!perl -e "undef $/; my $lst = <>; $lst =~ s/\n(?\!\n)//gsm; $lst =~ s/\n\n/\n/g; print $lst"<CR>

                "This works, but loses the number of tabs between the lines. This is not a
                "problem of you run prettylst.pl in between commits. This ensures a terse
                "diff, but would add a large diff if commits are made that do not use
                "prettylst.

                goes into C:\Program Files\Vim\vimfiles\syntax

                Can someone add the above onto the wiki setup notes for vim please?
                http://wiki.pcgen.org/Vim_Setup

                Cheers
                Dave

                > And welcome back Mr Monk, has been awhile :-)
                >
                > On 4 January 2012 19:02, resident <merton_monk@...> wrote:
                >
                > > **
                > >

                > > Wow... I still use vi when I'm on a unix system. I never liked emacs.
                > > Since the lst files are tab delimited, using an editor that handles that
                > > kind of white-space delimiter is handy. Excel does a lot of the work for
                > > you in that regard. :)
                > > It's always been a desire to get the built-in editors to the point where
                > > external file editors aren't necessary.
                > >
                > > -Bryan
                > > p.s. Happy New Year everyone!

              • FerretDave
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 5, 2012
                  ok, that pcgen.vim syntax file is partially broken, works on some files, but gives errors on others (an abilities_mod.lst file failed, but several others worked ok)
                  Its a starting point at least.

                  And you can quit past the errors and still edit the file ok.

                  --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "FerretDave" <ferret.griffin@...> wrote:

                  > Greetings,
                  >
                  > I use 'vim' (VI iMproved) and use that on windows & unix (touch typist - I use the keyboard as much as possible).
                  >
                  > in the _vimrc file (in the c:\program files\vim\ directory) I've added:
                  > syntax on
                  > filetype on
                  > au BufNewFile,BufRead *.lst,*.pcc set ft=pcge
                  >
                  > " henk@... developed these mappings to map horizontal alignment to vertical alignment
                  > "(F2) and back (F3) in vim.
                  > " Press F2 when opening a file, press F3 before saving the file.
                  > " Do not press F2 more than once. Add comments, but always use two newlines,
                  > "> two before the comment line, two after.
                  >
                  > nmap <F2> :%!perl -p -e "s/\n/\n\n/g ; s/\t+/\n\t/g;"<CR>
                  > nmap <F3> :%!perl -e "undef $/; my $lst = <>; $lst =~ s/\n(?\!\n)//gsm; $lst =~ s/\n\n/\n/g; print $lst"<CR>
                  >
                  > "This works, but loses the number of tabs between the lines. This is not a
                  > "problem of you run prettylst.pl in between commits. This ensures a terse
                  > "diff, but would add a large diff if commits are made that do not use
                  > "prettylst.

                  > goes into C:\Program Files\Vim\vimfiles\syntax
                  >
                  > Can someone add the above onto the wiki setup notes for vim please?
                  > http://wiki.pcgen.org/Vim_Setup
                  >

                  > Cheers
                  > Dave
                  > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Martijn Verburg <martijnverburg@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > And welcome back Mr Monk, has been awhile :-)
                  > >
                  > > On 4 January 2012 19:02, resident <merton_monk@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > **
                  > > >

                  > > > Wow... I still use vi when I'm on a unix system. I never liked emacs.
                  > > > Since the lst files are tab delimited, using an editor that handles that
                  > > > kind of white-space delimiter is handy. Excel does a lot of the work for
                  > > > you in that regard. :)
                  > > > It's always been a desire to get the built-in editors to the point where
                  > > > external file editors aren't necessary.
                  > > >
                  > > > -Bryan
                  > > > p.s. Happy New Year everyone!

                • resident
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 5, 2012
                    Thanks Karianna. :)

                    I'm gratified that you all have continued to do such good work with PCGen! My current campaign is Pathfinder, so PCGen's foray into that has been helpful.

                    -Bryan

                    > And welcome back Mr Monk, has been awhile :-)
                    >
                    > On 4 January 2012 19:02, resident <merton_monk@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > **
                    > >

                    > > Wow... I still use vi when I'm on a unix system. I never liked emacs.
                    > > Since the lst files are tab delimited, using an editor that handles that
                    > > kind of white-space delimiter is handy. Excel does a lot of the work for
                    > > you in that regard. :)
                    > > It's always been a desire to get the built-in editors to the point where
                    > > external file editors aren't necessary.
                    > >
                    > > -Bryan
                    > > p.s. Happy New Year everyone!

                  • Henk Slaaf
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 6, 2012

                      > Thanks to Henk for that one.
                      > There is a pcgen.vim file (seems to have disappeared from the files, so
                      > I've just uploaded here:

                      Ha!

                      Nice to see that someone else is using it :)

                      The file is in SVN here:
                      https://pcgen.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/pcgen/Trunk/utilities/

                      Best,

                      Henk

                    • FerretDave
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 6, 2012
                        It's most handy, and much appreciated!

                        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Henk Slaaf <henk@...> wrote:

                        > > Thanks to Henk for that one.
                        > > There is a pcgen.vim file (seems to have disappeared from the files, so
                        > > I've just uploaded here:
                        > >
                        > Ha!
                        >
                        > Nice to see that someone else is using it :)
                        >
                        > The file is in SVN here:
                        > https://pcgen.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/pcgen/Trunk/utilities/
                        >
                        > Best,
                        >
                        > Henk

                      • RoninKelt
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 6, 2012
                          Both of the ones in svn are totally different than the one on the files section here. These are all 3 useful, I'm going to use them to make a ftplugin and a syntax file with lots of handy tools. Still working on this in my spare time so bear with me, please.

                          Dave
                        • Henk Slaaf
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 7, 2012
                            On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 07:40, RoninKelt <deltadave@...> wrote:

                            > **
                            >

                            > Both of the ones in svn are totally different than the one on the files
                            > section here. These are all 3 useful, I'm going to use them to make a
                            > ftplugin and a syntax file with lots of handy tools. Still working on this
                            > in my spare time so bear with me, please.

                            Hey Dave!

                            Which two are in SVN? I know of only the one I linked to (and wrote/pieced
                            together).

                            Best,

                            Henk

                          • RoninKelt
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 9, 2012
                              In SVN is a ftplugin at https://pcgen.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/pcgen/Trunk/utilities/vimrc/ftplugin/ - this only contains a couple of lines that point to a perl utility

                              also in svn is a syntax file - https://pcgen.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/pcgen/Trunk/utilities/editor%20syntax/vim/ - this file has some good stuff in it such as a couple of regex that I hadn't quite worked out yet.

                              Work progresses on my syntax file and the plan is to integrate the parts I like from each of these files, but things are moving slowly as I'm working 70+ hours a week until I deliver my current project at the end of February.

                              Dave