Making a Pathfinder character...

  • shakauvm
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 31 12:53 AM
      Howdy,

      Been years since I've used PCGen, but I'm looking at getting into Pathfinder, so I fired it up again. (I still have my old copy of PCGen from back in the day before WOTC pulled its non-OGL material out - that's how long ago it was.)

      Creating a 1st level wizard, some notes:
      1) Number of skill points is not calculated correctly. I have a natural 16 Int, +2 Racial Int bonus from Human, +1 skill point from favored class, and +1 skill point from being Human. This should be 8 skill points total. It gives me 5. I give myself bonus skill points to make up the difference, but then it yells at me on the summary page.
      2) Traits are awkward how they work - it's not clear you need to remove the No Traits trait before you can use it. I had to Google that one.
      3) Pathfinder Society gives Spell Focus instead of Scribe Scroll to Wizards, but I can't removed Scribe Scroll. Giving myself a bonus feat works, but is awkward.
      4) What happened to the old system of rolling stat points or using point buy? The current system is very awkward.

      Thanks,
      Bill Kerney
    • Saxum Caribetum
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 31 5:05 AM
        On 31/12/2011 08:53, shakauvm wrote:
        > Howdy,
        >
        > Been years since I've used PCGen, but I'm looking at getting into Pathfinder, so I fired it up again. (I still have my old copy of PCGen from back in the day before WOTC pulled its non-OGL material out - that's how long ago it was.)

        usual questions: which version of PCGen are you now using, and which
        data set sources are loaded?

        > Creating a 1st level wizard, some notes:
        > 1) Number of skill points is not calculated correctly. I have a natural 16 Int, +2 Racial Int bonus from Human, +1 skill point from favored class, and +1 skill point from being Human. This should be 8 skill points total. It gives me 5. I give myself bonus skill points to make up the difference, but then it yells at me on the summary page.

        Hmmm.... I followed what I think is your recipe, and set

        * Int 16,
        * Neutral,
        * Human,
        * Racial Abilities
        o Ability Bonus +2 Int,
        o Human Racial Trait "1. Grant Default Racial Abilities" which
        implicitly grants "Bonus Feat" and "Skilled"

        On the Skills tab, I see "Skill points left for class:" Wizard/1 [7/7]
        -- which is correct.
        To get the 8th point, you must return to "Racial Abilities", pick
        "Favored Class" and add "Wizard" then select "Favored Class Bonus" as
        "Bonus Skill Point" and choose the skill.

        PCGen doesn't put the Favored Class skill points in the budget of skill
        points (a feature which I myself find confusing when checking older
        version characters)

        > 2) Traits are awkward how they work - it's not clear you need to remove the No Traits trait before you can use it. I had to Google that one.

        I'm using the latest alpha - 5.17.9 - and in that the "No Traits"
        default has moved, and the default state is to list "Traits (0/0)" until
        you add 2 to the Traits remaining: box

        > 3) Pathfinder Society gives Spell Focus instead of Scribe Scroll to Wizards, but I can't removed Scribe Scroll. Giving myself a bonus feat works, but is awkward.

        I don't believe PCGen has a PFS mode... it would be useful to have one...
        (To the Monkeys -- there are a number of changes to core rules for PFS,
        the most obvious being the removal of Item Creation Feats and Abilities
        (barring a few necessary ones, like Alchemist class abilities). Removed
        Feats and Abilities are replaced aby alternatives specified in the PFS
        rules.
        See http://paizo.com/pathfinderSociety/v5748btpy84k4
        for a free download.)

        > 4) What happened to the old system of rolling stat points or using point buy? The current system is very awkward.
        PFS is always Point Buy (20 pts)
        PCGen settings are Settings > Preferences..., 1st page "Character
        Stats", where you can pick among

        * User rolled -- you roll dice, and enter values into program
        * Rolled (PCGen rolls)
        * Purchase mode (and no. of points)

        --
        Neil Taylor "Creo Imaginem Mente"

      • Paul
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 31 3:56 PM
          There is currently a dataset for PFS which I'm not sure made it into 5.17.9, according to the JIRA issue it should be in 5.17.10.

          http://jira.pcgen.org/browse/NEWSOURCE-83

          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Saxum Caribetum <saxum.caribetum@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > (barring a few necessary ones, like Alchemist class abilities). Removed
          > Feats and Abilities are replaced aby alternatives specified in the PFS
          > rules.
          > See http://paizo.com/pathfinderSociety/v5748btpy84k4
          > for a free download.)
          >
          > > 4) What happened to the old system of rolling stat points or using point buy? The current system is very awkward.
          > PFS is always Point Buy (20 pts)
          > PCGen settings are Settings > Preferences..., 1st page "Character
          > Stats", where you can pick among
          >
          > * User rolled -- you roll dice, and enter values into program
          > * Rolled (PCGen rolls)
          > * Purchase mode (and no. of points)
          >

          > --
          > Neil Taylor "Creo Imaginem Mente"
          > ArM Code 1.5 5++ Ca++ R++p H++ ?L Y(96) T(5)- SG+++ G++++ P++ HoH(Ma++ Q+ Hg+) Fz(E)++ C++ :-) Cd++

        • shakauvm
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 31 11:05 PM
            > usual questions: which version of PCGen are you now using, and which
            > data set sources are loaded?

            Most recent stable release, with the most recent Pathfinder update, both from the main page on PCGen's sourceforge site.

            > On the Skills tab, I see "Skill points left for class:" Wizard/1 [7/7]
            > -- which is correct.

            Yeah, I did all those, but it shows 5/5 for me.

            > PCGen doesn't put the Favored Class skill points in the budget of skill
            > points (a feature which I myself find confusing when checking older
            > version characters)

            Is there a fix, other than just manually giving yourself a bonus skill point?

            Thanks!

            -Bill Kerney
          • Eric C Smith
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 1, 2012
              It did not make it into 5.17.9.

              Sent from my iPhone

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 1, 2012
                On 01/01/2012 07:05, shakauvm wrote:
                >> usual questions: which version of PCGen are you now using, and which
                >> data set sources are loaded?
                > Most recent stable release, with the most recent Pathfinder update, both from the main page on PCGen's sourceforge site.

                Pathfinder being under active development, you might consider the latest
                Alpha: 5.17.9 - it's in good shape, and has the latest coding for
                Pathfinder. I'm active in *using* PCGen with Pathfinder, and keep myself
                up at the front end of releases, so as to get the APG and other goodies.

                >> On the Skills tab, I see "Skill points left for class:" Wizard/1 [7/7]
                >> -- which is correct.
                > Yeah, I did all those, but it shows 5/5 for me.

                try 5.17.9?

                >> PCGen doesn't put the Favored Class skill points in the budget of skill
                >> points (a feature which I myself find confusing when checking older
                >> version characters)
                > Is there a fix, other than just manually giving yourself a bonus skill point?

                for Favoured Class Skills - just don't fret!
                PCGen counts the fixed, non-optional skill points, but the Favoured
                Class point is a choice by the player.

                Use the Favoured Class option to add the Skill Point, and the skill list
                will show the skills. (It will end up showing you as spending more
                points than the class granted, but that is actually correct.)

                --
                Neil Taylor "Creo Imaginem Mente"