Can I create my own Prestige Class and...

  • Todd Roemmich
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31, 2001
      yes, you guessed it... insert it into PCGen?

      I imagine that a) it's possible, and b) it's not for the easily
      discouraged? What I'd like to do is have a lst file with one prestige
      class in it as an example.... and hoping that with it, and some
      guidance I could make my own (assuming the prestige class doesn't add
      some new bizarre feature).

      But having programmed/created, __fill_in_the_blank__ for so many
      years I realize that this is probably possible, it may be beyond the
      scope of the PCGen program and even counter productive. Still...
      inquiring minds have to ask. So I have.

      -TR
    • brentab@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 31, 2001
        All you need to do is copy a campaign setting, rename things, and
        modify.

        For example...
        1) Copy the 'fr' directory and rename it 'homebrew'
        2) rename frclass.lst to hb_class.lst
        3) open up hb_class.lst and find one prestige class that's similar to
        the one you want... delete the others
        4) modify the class as appropriate (read the docs.. can't help you
        here)
        5) copy the fr.pcc file to be homebrew.pcc
        6) comment out all the references except to CLASS, and change
        CAMPAIGN to Homebrew
        7) change the class file reference to point to your
        homebrew/hb_class.lst file and the
        8) boot pcgen and load the Homebrew list

        Now your new prestige class should be available. As you have new
        items/spells/etc that you want to add, start modifying the other
        homebrew files as appropriate. Eventually you'll have all of your
        home rules items/spells/etc inside this one directory so that you can
        share them with your gaming group.

        You do NOT want to modify the core files because it'll be overwritten
        with each upgrade, hence the creation of your own directory.