Re: [pcgen] Sun Java removed from Debian, possibly others

  • Henk Slaaf
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 20, 2011

      > As Martijn said, several distros have dropped Sun/Oracle Java in favour
      > of OpenJDK, but the Oracle version is available from a separate
      > repository and is quite straight-forward to install and configure. If
      > required, I'm happy to post my how-to for installing Oracle JRE/JDK on
      > Ubuntu. The same steps are probably applicable to most of the
      > Debian-based distros.
      >
      > Remember: "Don't Panic" :) This is not a show-stopper.

      For me, no, not a problem on Debian, nor Ubuntu or whatever. But for novice
      users, this means a big hurdle to install and use PCGen.

      Anyway, we should support the reference implementation of Java :)

      I know it's hard to put a date on the release of the new GUI. We are all
      volunteers.

      Best,

      Henk

    • masaru20100
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 22, 2011
        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Uncle Pete <uncle@...> wrote:
        […]

        > Remember: "Don't Panic" :) This is not a show-stopper.

        It's been a while since I've been able to really use PCGen, because of the incompatibility with OpenJDK. I use the uisync branch and compile it but it's not completely usable for the moment, but still better than nothing.

        --
        masaru20100
      • masaru20100
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 22, 2011
          I didn't know that the 5.17 branch was usable with OpenJDK. From the messages in the list, it wasn't clear if it's not the case or not so I gave it a try.
          Some things are doable but it's mostly unusable.
        • James Dempsey
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 23, 2011

            On 23/12/2011 5:56 PM masaru20100 wrote
            > I didn't know that the 5.17 branch was usable with OpenJDK. From the messages in the list, it wasn't clear if it's not the case or not so I gave it a try.
            > Some things are doable but it's mostly unusable.
            Yes that's expected. It will work with open JDK once we merge the new UI
            in with it.

            Cheers,
            James.
          • Ragabash Moon
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 24, 2011
              Ok, I'm confused. What's Debian and how does this affect things?

            • Martijn Verburg
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 24, 2011
                Debian is a Linux Distribution (which is used by a number of our users).

                Ubuntu is another Linux Distribution (which is used by even more of our
                users than Debian) and is actually a derivative of Debian of sorts (it is
                based off Debian for lack of a more accurate explanation).

                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 28, 2011
                  Hey James,

                  > > I didn't know that the 5.17 branch was usable with OpenJDK. From the
                  > messages in the list, it wasn't clear if it's not the case or not so I gave
                  > it a try.
                  > > Some things are doable but it's mostly unusable.
                  >

                  > Yes that's expected. It will work with open JDK once we merge the new UI
                  > in with it.

                  Is there an ETA on the merging?

                  Best,

                  Henk

                • James Dempsey
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 28, 2011
                    Hi Henk,

                    On 28/12/2011 8:04 PM Henk Slaaf wrote
                    > Hey James,
                    >

                    >>> I didn't know that the 5.17 branch was usable with OpenJDK. From the
                    >> messages in the list, it wasn't clear if it's not the case or not so I gave
                    >> it a try.
                    >>> Some things are doable but it's mostly unusable.
                    >
                    >> Yes that's expected. It will work with open JDK once we merge the new UI
                    >> in with it.
                    >>
                    > Is there an ETA on the merging?
                    Not currently, we are working on it though.

                    Cheers,
                    James.