Character Traits in Pathfinder

  • dragondust71
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 20, 2011
      Hello, hope you are doing well today. I have another question or two...

      1. All of the Character traits are red and I am unable to choose the two traits allowed by our GM. Any thoughts on how to fix that?

      2. Where would I find spell lists so that I can give them to my character?

      Thank you for taking the time,
      Dawna
    • Eric C Smith
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 20, 2011
        Hi Dawna!

        You wrote:
        > Hello, hope you are doing well today. I have another question or two...
        >
        > 1. All of the Character traits are red and I am unable to choose the two traits allowed by our GM. Any thoughts on how to fix that?

        You will need to remove the "No Traits" trait by clicking on the arrow next to "Traits" in the right pane of the Feats and Abilities TAB, and then either selecting the "No Traits" trait and then hitting the left arrow at the bottom of the pane, or by simply double-clicking the "No Trait" trait.

        That will turn the traits black . . .

        > 2. Where would I find spell lists so that I can give them to my character?

        If you go to the Spell tab the left pane should have a list of spells, though you will likely have to click on the arrow next to the level lable. What class are you working with?

        Maredudd
      • Dawna Camden
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 20, 2011
          Hi Maredudd,

          I am working with a Elven Druid who has an animal companion (Tiger). Sounds
          strange, I know, but I wrote a pretty decent back story for her.

          Dawna

          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 20, 2011
            Hi Dawna!

            Dawna wrote:

            > Hi Maredudd,
            >
            > I am working with a Elven Druid who has an animal companion (Tiger). Sounds
            > strange, I know, but I wrote a pretty decent back story for her.

            Ok. Have you had a chance to try my suggestions?

            > Dawna

          • Dawna Camden
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 20, 2011
              Hello. Yes, I cancelled the "No Traits" and was able to choose my traits.
              So we are good on that one. I am just getting to the spells now. My
              daughter is babysitting and I had to go look at a lovely goose egg on one of
              the kids. So, now I can look at the spells.

              There are other areas where I am still trying to figure things out, so I
              hope you don't mind more questions to come.

              Thanks again,

              Dawna

              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 20, 2011
                Hi Dawna,

                On 12/20/2011 10:19 AM, Dawna Camden wrote:
                > Hello. Yes, I cancelled the "No Traits" and was able to choose my traits.
                > So we are good on that one. I am just getting to the spells now. My
                > daughter is babysitting and I had to go look at a lovely goose egg on one of
                > the kids. So, now I can look at the spells.

                Goose Eggs - that'll teach 'em ;) Though a cold pack should decrease the size.

                > There are other areas where I am still trying to figure things out, so I
                > hope you don't mind more questions to come.

                Ask away, our friendly volunteers will answer as best they can.

                > Thanks again,
                >

                > Dawna

              • Dawna Camden
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 20, 2011
                  Yeah, goose egg. It's already very pretty blue and purple. Little one will
                  be tender for a while.

                  Okay, so I found the spells. Not sure if I should pre-choose the prepared
                  ones on the sheet, or just use pencil marks so I can change them up..

                  On to the next question: MONEY.. I currently have a LOT of it but don't see
                  how I am to input it into the sheet so I can buy the equipment I have.. My
                  current purse is as follows: Platinum = 35, Gold = 916, Silver = 29, Copper
                  = 42 (all after I had bought my equipment..plus earnings throughout
                  campaign).

                  Second question: I thought my animal companion was supposed to level up with
                  me (unless I was told wrong &/or read it wrong) but the program has only
                  advanced my cat to level 2.

                  Thanks in advance..

                  Dawna

                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 20, 2011

                    On 12/20/2011 10:49 AM, Dawna Camden wrote:
                    > Yeah, goose egg. It's already very pretty blue and purple. Little one will
                    > be tender for a while.

                    Yeah, very tender and seeking sympathy. I have a couple of my own little ones.

                    > Okay, so I found the spells. Not sure if I should pre-choose the prepared
                    > ones on the sheet, or just use pencil marks so I can change them up..

                    Druid - it's set up so you can do it either way.

                    > On to the next question: MONEY.. I currently have a LOT of it but don't see
                    > how I am to input it into the sheet so I can buy the equipment I have.. My
                    > current purse is as follows: Platinum = 35, Gold = 916, Silver = 29, Copper
                    > = 42 (all after I had bought my equipment..plus earnings throughout
                    > campaign).

                    You can edit the money for Purchasing easily. If you want to have the coins display on the character
                    in those denominations, you'd need to "purchase" the correct number of coins and then equip or carry
                    them.

                    > Second question: I thought my animal companion was supposed to level up with
                    > me (unless I was told wrong &/or read it wrong) but the program has only
                    > advanced my cat to level 2.

                    It depends on your Druid Level - Animal Companions start at 2 HD and max out at 16 HD - compared to
                    your druid's 1 to 20. Animal Companions are set up to follow their natural progression. You can
                    force an update by switching to the Animal Companion, INVENTORY > RESOURCES should be a button
                    "UPDATE FROM MASTER". That will bring the companion up to current standards if it didn't change
                    automatically. Take a look at the Druid Class and the Animal Companion, it'll tell you what Levels
                    the Animal Companion should have in relation to your character.

                    I hope that makes sense.

                    Cheers,

                    > Thanks in advance..
                    >
                    > Dawna

                  • Eric C Smith
                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 20, 2011
                      Hi Dawna!

                      You inquired:

                      > Okay, so I found the spells. Not sure if I should pre-choose the prepared
                      > ones on the sheet, or just use pencil marks so I can change them up..

                      Either way. Thats up to you. :-)

                      > On to the next question: MONEY.. I currently have a LOT of it but don't see
                      > how I am to input it into the sheet so I can buy the equipment I have.. My
                      > current purse is as follows: Platinum = 35, Gold = 916, Silver = 29, Copper
                      > = 42 (all after I had bought my equipment..plus earnings throughout
                      > campaign).

                      If you go to the Inventory tab you will se in the lower right pane an area that includes an entry field and several check-boxes. If you enter the total value of money in gps in the entry field then you can buy your equipment.

                      alternatively, you can click on the "Ignor Cost" box and buy to your hearts content, but make sure you take into account how much you have spent and don't exceed your available gold. Once you've bought all that you need, spend the rest of the gold buying "Coins" of the various denominations. That way your money will show up o the character sheet.

                      > Second question: I thought my animal companion was supposed to level up with
                      > me (unless I was told wrong &/or read it wrong) but the program has only
                      > advanced my cat to level 2.

                      You will need to have both your druid and your Tiger loaded. Selet the Tiger and go to the "Resources" subtab under the Inventory. You will see the "Update from Master" button at the top. Click it.

                      Your tiger has been updated. Save everything, print, and have fun! :-)

                      maredudd
                    • Dawna Camden
                      Message 10 of 18 , Dec 20, 2011
                        Thank you, thank you, thank you!

                        I will try all of that and let you know if I get it right.

                        Have a great day!

                        Dawna

                        > Okay, so I found the spells. Not sure if I should pre-choose the prepared
                        > ones on the sheet, or just use pencil marks so I can change them up..

                        Either way. Thats up to you. :-)

                        > On to the next question: MONEY.. I currently have a LOT of it but don't
                        see
                        > how I am to input it into the sheet so I can buy the equipment I have.. My
                        > current purse is as follows: Platinum = 35, Gold = 916, Silver = 29,
                        Copper
                        > = 42 (all after I had bought my equipment..plus earnings throughout
                        > campaign).

                        If you go to the Inventory tab you will se in the lower right pane an area
                        that includes an entry field and several check-boxes. If you enter the total
                        value of money in gps in the entry field then you can buy your equipment.

                        alternatively, you can click on the "Ignor Cost" box and buy to your hearts
                        content, but make sure you take into account how much you have spent and
                        don't exceed your available gold. Once you've bought all that you need,
                        spend the rest of the gold buying "Coins" of the various denominations. That
                        way your money will show up o the character sheet.

                        > Second question: I thought my animal companion was supposed to level up
                        with
                        > me (unless I was told wrong &/or read it wrong) but the program has only
                        > advanced my cat to level 2.

                        You will need to have both your druid and your Tiger loaded. Selet the Tiger
                        and go to the "Resources" subtab under the Inventory. You will see the
                        "Update from Master" button at the top. Click it.

                        Your tiger has been updated. Save everything, print, and have fun! :-)

                        maredudd

                      • Lee Dowd
                        Message 11 of 18 , Dec 21, 2011
                          In regards to the bit below.  If you are making your initial purchases and aren't sure you may want to change the buy back percentage.  Otherwise if you decide against some equipment after you select it you'll loose 50% of the purchase price.  I generally click the Ignore cost box for anything that the character gets cost free when initially provisioning then unclick it and set the buy back percentage to 100% and buy all my equipment then set the buy back percentage back to 50%.  Remember to click the Ignore cost button as well if you are giving your PC "appropriated" equipment.

                          Message 12 of 18 , Dec 21, 2011
                            Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. My character is already up to level 6
                            and so I was trying to get what I had already bought and then make the money
                            equal to the balance it came out to from the initial purchases and
                            appropriated or "won" supplies.

                            Do you know if a druid would have a spell book? Also, are the extra spells
                            listed in the APG included in the lists?

                            Thanks,

                            Dawna

                            In regards to the bit below. If you are making your initial purchases and
                            aren't sure you may want to change the buy back percentage. Otherwise if
                            you decide against some equipment after you select it you'll loose 50% of
                            the purchase price. I generally click the Ignore cost box for anything that
                            the character gets cost free when initially provisioning then unclick it and
                            set the buy back percentage to 100% and buy all my equipment then set the
                            buy back percentage back to 50%. Remember to click the Ignore cost button
                            as well if you are giving your PC "appropriated" equipment.

                            >> On to the next question: MONEY.. I currently have a LOT of it but don't
                            see
                            >> how I am to input it into the sheet so I can buy the equipment I have..
                            My
                            >> current purse is as follows: Platinum = 35, Gold = 916, Silver = 29,
                            Copper
                            >> = 42 (all after I had bought my equipment..plus earnings throughout
                            >> campaign).
                            >
                            >If you go to the Inventory tab you will se in the lower right pane an area
                            that includes an entry field and several check-boxes. If you enter the total
                            value of money in gps in the entry field then you can buy your equipment.

                            >alternatively, you can click on the "Ignor Cost" box and buy to your hearts
                            content, but make sure you take into account how much you have spent and
                            don't exceed your available gold. Once you've bought all that you need,
                            spend the rest of the gold buying "Coins" of the various denominations. That
                            way your money will show up o the character sheet.

                          • David R. Bender
                            Message 13 of 18 , Dec 21, 2011
                              Druids are divine casters so no spell book.

                              If you load the APG dataset, the spells are there.

                              -- david
                              Papa.DRB

                              My better half and me (jpg)

                              Message 14 of 18 , Dec 21, 2011
                                My understanding is that typically clerics and druids don't have spell books.  They "pray" for their spells on a daily baisis and are granted them form a divine source.  So you should get access to all the Druid spells in the sources your GM allows.  Note that by using the advances source selection tab you can add additional materials and more spells.  In the spell selection area (forget the name of the tab and don't have pcgen on this pc) you can create custom lists so for instance you can have a list called "standard" which has the spells you normally have prepared on it.  If you have a different list that you prepair for say towns or undeground you can name it appropriately and put the spells you want in there.  If you are constantly fidling with your spell lists this may not be all that useful or if you want to track them maybe it will be.  Quick word of caution I'm still a neo at pcgen and still learning how to use it myself.

                                >Do you know if a druid would have a spell book? Also, are the extra spells
                                >listed in the APG included in the lists?
                                >
                                >Thanks,

                              • Dawna Camden
                                Message 15 of 18 , Dec 31, 2011
                                  How do I delete a character?

                                • James Dempsey
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Dec 31, 2011
                                    Hi Dawna,

                                    On 1/01/2012 2:16 PM Dawna Camden wrote
                                    > How do I delete a character?
                                    Characters are stored as files, generally named after your character but
                                    you can change the name when you save. You can delete the character by
                                    deleting the file. To find out where the character is stored, open the
                                    character and select Files > Saves As. The path displayed in the "Save
                                    In" drop-down will be the folder in which your character file is
                                    located. Open that folder and then deleting the character file will
                                    permanently delete your character.

                                    Cheers,
                                    James.
                                  • senseileroof
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jan 1, 2012

                                      > Hi Dawna,
                                      >
                                      > On 1/01/2012 2:16 PM Dawna Camden wrote
                                      > > How do I delete a character?
                                      > Characters are stored as files, generally named after your character but
                                      > you can change the name when you save. You can delete the character by
                                      > deleting the file. To find out where the character is stored, open the
                                      > character and select Files > Saves As. The path displayed in the "Save
                                      > In" drop-down will be the folder in which your character file is
                                      > located. Open that folder and then deleting the character file will
                                      > permanently delete your character.
                                      >
                                      > Cheers,
                                      > James.

                                      Even more simply, you should be able to delete the file while in the Open dialog, once you find it.
                                    • UnclePete
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jan 2, 2012
                                        > Even more simply, you should be able to delete the file while in the
                                        Open dialog, once you find it.

                                        Actually, this is dependant on your operating system and desktop
                                        manager. For example, Windows XP behaves this way, Ubuntu with gnome2
                                        does not. I can't speak for other combinations.

                                        Pete