Sun Java removed from Debian, possibly others

  • Henk Slaaf
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 19, 2011
      Hi all,

      Debian has removed the Sun Java packages from unstable. This means that:

      1. Future releases of Debian will not carry sun-java6-jre.
      2. Security updates will probably be unavailable in the long run for the
      current release.

      This means that people running Debian will shortly be unable to run PCGen.

      We need to push out a version of PCGen that can run Openjdk. This is
      currently not the situation, not even the alpha branch. The menus do not
      function properly and there is no error message.

      I've tried to determine the Java version from the Java command line, but
      have not succeeded yet. This would at least have added an error message to
      the users on Debian. I know it has cost me a lot of time to figure out what
      was wrong :)

      What are the current plans to increase portability of PCGen? We need those
      menu's to work :) How's the new GUI doing? Will it be included in 5.18?

      PS: Would like to help, but am not a Java coder :)

      Thanks,

      Henk

      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 19, 2011

        I'll punt this over to James and Connor.

        I also opened

        PCGen needs to support OpenJDK <http://jira.pcgen.org/browse/CODE-1139>

        To notify that this needs to be re-evaluated based upon the Debian situation.

        On 12/19/2011 12:27 PM, Henk Slaaf wrote:
        > Hi all,

        > Debian has removed the Sun Java packages from unstable. This means that:
        >
        > 1. Future releases of Debian will not carry sun-java6-jre.
        > 2. Security updates will probably be unavailable in the long run for the
        > current release.
        >
        > This means that people running Debian will shortly be unable to run PCGen.
        >
        > We need to push out a version of PCGen that can run Openjdk. This is
        > currently not the situation, not even the alpha branch. The menus do not
        > function properly and there is no error message.
        >
        > I've tried to determine the Java version from the Java command line, but
        > have not succeeded yet. This would at least have added an error message to
        > the users on Debian. I know it has cost me a lot of time to figure out what
        > was wrong :)
        >

        > What are the current plans to increase portability of PCGen? We need those
        > menu's to work :) How's the new GUI doing? Will it be included in 5.18?
        >

        > PS: Would like to help, but am not a Java coder :)
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Henk

      • Martijn Verburg
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 19, 2011
          Hi all,

          The latest 5.17.x already supports the OpenJDK, not sure how easy it is to
          back-port that fix to 5.16.x. I'll let James comment on this as I think he
          resolved the initial issue.

          This isn't an entirely new issue (Ubuntu and others did something similar
          not too long ago) and Debian users can still install the Oracle JDK from
          java.com, so it's not quite panic stations :-).

          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 19, 2011

            I was under the impression the OpenJDK fix was still in progress and only for the new UI. It's not
            currently in the trunk to my knowledge, though I do see a JIRA that James closed regarding OpenJDK
            menus.

            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 19, 2011
              Sorry, yeah that's what I meant - K

              On 19 December 2011 22:27, Andrew <drew0500@...> wrote:
              > Hi,
              >
              > I was under the impression the OpenJDK fix was still in progress and only
              > for the new UI. It's not currently in the trunk to my knowledge, though I do
              > see a JIRA that James closed regarding OpenJDK menus.
              >

              > On 12/19/2011 2:19 PM, Martijn Verburg wrote:
              >
              > Hi all,
              >
              > The latest 5.17.x already supports the OpenJDK, not sure how easy it is to
              > back-port that fix to 5.16.x. I'll let James comment on this as I think he
              > resolved the initial issue.
              >
              > This isn't an entirely new issue (Ubuntu and others did something similar
              > not too long ago) and Debian users can still install the Oracle JDK from
              > java.com, so it's not quite panic stations :-).

              > On 19 December 2011 22:07, Andrew <drew0500@...> wrote:
              >
              > **
              >

              > Hi,
              >
              > I'll punt this over to James and Connor.
              >
              > I also opened
              >
              > PCGen needs to support OpenJDK <http://jira.pcgen.org/browse/CODE-1139>
              >
              > To notify that this needs to be re-evaluated based upon the Debian
              > situation.
              >

              > On 12/19/2011 12:27 PM, Henk Slaaf wrote:
              >
              > Hi all,

              > Debian has removed the Sun Java packages from unstable. This means that:
              >
              > 1. Future releases of Debian will not carry sun-java6-jre.
              > 2. Security updates will probably be unavailable in the long run for the
              > current release.
              >
              > This means that people running Debian will shortly be unable to run
              >
              > PCGen.
              >
              > We need to push out a version of PCGen that can run Openjdk. This is
              > currently not the situation, not even the alpha branch. The menus do not
              > function properly and there is no error message.
              >
              > I've tried to determine the Java version from the Java command line, but
              > have not succeeded yet. This would at least have added an error message

              > the users on Debian. I know it has cost me a lot of time to figure out
              >
              > what
              >
              > was wrong :)
              >

              > What are the current plans to increase portability of PCGen? We need
              >
              > those
              >
              > menu's to work :) How's the new GUI doing? Will it be included in 5.18?
              >

              > PS: Would like to help, but am not a Java coder :)
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Henk

              > PCGen List File Help:

              > PCGen Experimental:

              > Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
              > Data 2nd, Docs Tamarin, OS Lemur
              > Unique Title "The Torturer of PCGen"

              > Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
              > Data 2nd, Docs Tamarin, OS Lemur
              > Unique Title "The Torturer of PCGen"
            • UnclePete
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 19, 2011
                As Martijn said, several distros have dropped Sun/Oracle Java in favour
                of OpenJDK, but the Oracle version is available from a separate
                repository and is quite straight-forward to install and configure. If
                required, I'm happy to post my how-to for installing Oracle JRE/JDK on
                Ubuntu. The same steps are probably applicable to most of the
                Debian-based distros.

                Remember: "Don't Panic" :) This is not a show-stopper.

                Pete

                On 12/20/2011 09:28 AM, Martijn Verburg wrote:

> [...]
                > > current release.
                > >
                > > This means that people running Debian will shortly be unable to run
                > >
                > > PCGen.
                > >
                > > We need to push out a version of PCGen that can run Openjdk. This is
                > > currently not the situation, not even the alpha branch. The menus do not
                > > function properly and there is no error message.
                > >
                > > I've tried to determine the Java version from the Java command line, but
                > > have not succeeded yet. This would at least have added an error message

                > > the users on Debian. I know it has cost me a lot of time to figure out
                > >
                > > what
                > >
                > > was wrong :)
                > >

                > > What are the current plans to increase portability of PCGen? We need
                > >
                > > those
                > >
                > > menu's to work :) How's the new GUI doing? Will it be included in 5.18?
                > >

                > > PS: Would like to help, but am not a Java coder :)

              • Stefan Radermacher
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 19, 2011
                  This change in distribution, by the way, is due to Oracle withdrawing
                  the license to distribute the Sun Java SDK.

                  Stefan.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 20, 2011
                    Which makes sense as the Open JDK is the reference implementation for Java,
                    it's actually a good thing for the free OSS community.

                    On Tuesday, 20 December 2011, Stefan Radermacher <radermacher@...>
                    wrote:

                    > This change in distribution, by the way, is due to Oracle withdrawing
                    > the license to distribute the Sun Java SDK.
                    >
                    > Stefan.
                    >
                    > On 20.12.11 00:29, UnclePete wrote:
                    >> As Martijn said, several distros have dropped Sun/Oracle Java in favour
                    >> of OpenJDK, but the Oracle version is available from a separate
                    >> repository and is quite straight-forward to install and configure. If
                    >> required, I'm happy to post my how-to for installing Oracle JRE/JDK on
                    >> Ubuntu. The same steps are probably applicable to most of the
                    >> Debian-based distros.
                    >>
                    >> Remember: "Don't Panic" :) This is not a show-stopper.
                    >>
                    >> Pete
                    >>
                    >> On 12/20/2011 09:28 AM, Martijn Verburg wrote:
                    >>>
                    >>> Sorry, yeah that's what I meant - K

                    >>> only
                    >>> though I do

                    >>> is to
                    >>> think he

                    >>> similar

                  • Henk Slaaf
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 20, 2011

                      > As Martijn said, several distros have dropped Sun/Oracle Java in favour
                      > of OpenJDK, but the Oracle version is available from a separate
                      > repository and is quite straight-forward to install and configure. If
                      > required, I'm happy to post my how-to for installing Oracle JRE/JDK on
                      > Ubuntu. The same steps are probably applicable to most of the
                      > Debian-based distros.
                      >
                      > Remember: "Don't Panic" :) This is not a show-stopper.

                      For me, no, not a problem on Debian, nor Ubuntu or whatever. But for novice
                      users, this means a big hurdle to install and use PCGen.

                      Anyway, we should support the reference implementation of Java :)

                      I know it's hard to put a date on the release of the new GUI. We are all
                      volunteers.

                      Best,

                      Henk

                    • masaru20100
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 22, 2011
                        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Uncle Pete <uncle@...> wrote:
                        […]

                        > Remember: "Don't Panic" :) This is not a show-stopper.

                        It's been a while since I've been able to really use PCGen, because of the incompatibility with OpenJDK. I use the uisync branch and compile it but it's not completely usable for the moment, but still better than nothing.

                        --
                        masaru20100
                      • masaru20100
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 22, 2011
                          I didn't know that the 5.17 branch was usable with OpenJDK. From the messages in the list, it wasn't clear if it's not the case or not so I gave it a try.
                          Some things are doable but it's mostly unusable.
                        • James Dempsey
                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 23, 2011

                            On 23/12/2011 5:56 PM masaru20100 wrote
                            > I didn't know that the 5.17 branch was usable with OpenJDK. From the messages in the list, it wasn't clear if it's not the case or not so I gave it a try.
                            > Some things are doable but it's mostly unusable.
                            Yes that's expected. It will work with open JDK once we merge the new UI
                            in with it.

                            Cheers,
                            James.
                          • Ragabash Moon
                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 24, 2011
                              Ok, I'm confused. What's Debian and how does this affect things?

                            • Martijn Verburg
                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 24, 2011
                                Debian is a Linux Distribution (which is used by a number of our users).

                                Ubuntu is another Linux Distribution (which is used by even more of our
                                users than Debian) and is actually a derivative of Debian of sorts (it is
                                based off Debian for lack of a more accurate explanation).

                                Message 15 of 16 , Dec 28, 2011
                                  Hey James,

                                  > > I didn't know that the 5.17 branch was usable with OpenJDK. From the
                                  > messages in the list, it wasn't clear if it's not the case or not so I gave
                                  > it a try.
                                  > > Some things are doable but it's mostly unusable.
                                  >

                                  > Yes that's expected. It will work with open JDK once we merge the new UI
                                  > in with it.

                                  Is there an ETA on the merging?

                                  Best,

                                  Henk

                                • James Dempsey
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Dec 28, 2011
                                    Hi Henk,

                                    On 28/12/2011 8:04 PM Henk Slaaf wrote
                                    > Hey James,
                                    >

                                    >>> I didn't know that the 5.17 branch was usable with OpenJDK. From the
                                    >> messages in the list, it wasn't clear if it's not the case or not so I gave
                                    >> it a try.
                                    >>> Some things are doable but it's mostly unusable.
                                    >
                                    >> Yes that's expected. It will work with open JDK once we merge the new UI
                                    >> in with it.
                                    >>
                                    > Is there an ETA on the merging?
                                    Not currently, we are working on it though.

                                    Cheers,
                                    James.