CAMPAIGN documentation

  • mocha@mcs.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 9, 2001
      I'll be adding this to the readme.html for the next release.
      As a side note, I've got my lst files updated to have the
      GreyHawk and ForgottenRealms campaigns defined. I've also added
      all the races and spell changes for ForgottenRealms and I'm
      working on the feats. I also plan on getting the Combat tab
      working again and put out a release tonight. Last night's changes
      were rather wide-ranging under the hood of PCGen. I tried to
      test pretty thoroughly, but let me know if I broke anything!

      Options tab
      Here you can select which campaigns you wish to use - this will
      determine what races, classes, etc you will see in the other
      tabs in PCGen (see CAMPAIGN.LST syntax for more info). If you
      select multiple campaigns, the selections for each of those
      campaigns are added together - so if RACE:Human is available in
      one campaign you select, and RACE:Funny Elf is available in
      another one, in the Stats tab where you can select your Race, both
      selections will be available. If none of the campaigns you select
      specify any kind of filter (i.e. neither campaign you select has
      a SPELL: filter), then no filter will be applied to that selection
      (i.e. you'll see all of them). You can also select Star Wars Mode
      here, which determines if the Alignment list is visible in the
      Stats tab, and whether you see Defense and Reputation in the
      Classes tab.

      CAMPAIGN.LST
      Here you can specify which items from other lst files are valid
      choices when selecting this campaign. The objects that are
      affected are: RACE, CLASS, DEITY, DOMAIN, SPELL, WEAPONPROF, EQUIPMENT, FEAT and SKILL. You can also add items to the CAMPAIGN
      list via the item's lst file's CAMPAIGN: tag. For example, you
      can specify in the DEITY.LST file that Googlehead is a Google
      campaign deity by including CAMPAIGN:Google in it's line in the
      DEITY.LST file. For class you can add the CAMPAIGN:Google to any
      line, but to be consistent it should be added to the CLASS: line.
      Since there may be campaigns where items by the same name are
      slightly different. Take ForgottenRealms and GreyHawk which both
      have Half-Elf. If you put Half-Elf in the RACE.LST file twice,
      once with details for GreyHawk, and once with details for
      ForgottenRealms, and then specify RACE:Half-Elf in both CAMPAIGNs
      in the CAMPAIGN.LST file, both will actually use whichever is
      found first in the RACE.LST file! When you have duplicate item
      names, use the CAMPAIGN: tag in the lst file. So for both entries
      in the RACE.LST file you would need to add the CAMPAIGN: tag.
      One important caveat - if you do use duplicate names, and the
      CAMPAIGN selections in the Options tab are such that both items
      are used, only the first reference by that name will be used.
      PCGen will ignore duplicate names. Another important impact of
      CAMPAIGNs is that if you create and save a character according
      to one CAMPAIGN, and then import it later while using a different
      CAMPAIGN selection, it may be affected. If a Domain it was saved
      with is no longer available, it won't have that domain. Same for
      its classes, race, etc. Assuming these rules are followed, it
      should be easy to exchange CAMPAIGNs with other users. Simply
      copy the section on the CAMPAIGN from its lst file and send it
      to whoever wants access to that CAMPAIGN. You may need to add
      the CAMPAIGN: tag to the other various lst files, but only if
      there are duplicates, and hopefully those will be rare.
    • Robert Hilson
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 9, 2001
        2 things. i tried to do the fr races, i had tp put a campaign fr and race:list
        in the campaign file for them to show up. is that how to do it?or do i need to
        put the campaign:fr in the FRHunam line in race.lst? (i used
        CAMPAIGN:Forgotten Realms, just ussed the shorter earilier in this message)

        if i get scanned copys with the dragon prestige class's will you put them in? i
        hate editing the class.lst file, bad enough i screw up the other ones.

        the sw feats are not done, i skipped a few to try and see the functionality.
        also the classes have some other things. also i still havent been told how were
        doing forse sensitive and thought of something else. if i start at first level
        as any of the force classses iget it for free. if i have ranks in any other
        classes and add a force class i have to purchase earlier(prerequisite)the force
        sensitive feat. also all the force skills (which have not been put in yet)
        need the feat to be used(prereq) and sometimes other feats also (most of the
        time gained through level progression, ie alter is free at 2nd, control at 4th)
        some of the skills are class skill at higher levels (easy to do). also there
        are some feats (Lightsaber defense) adds 2 to def. i did not bring my book,
        cause i was going to put nothing but clases is but i cant get them to work.

        =====
        Robert Hilson
        http://www.bepaid.com/users.rhtml?REFID=11428864

        http://photos.yahoo.com/
      • mocha@mcs.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 9, 2001
          --- In pcgen@egroups.com, Robert Hilson <okuth0r@y...> wrote:
          > 2 things. i tried to do the fr races, i had tp put a campaign fr and race:list
          > in the campaign file for them to show up. is that how to do it?or do i need to
          > put the campaign:fr in the FRHunam line in race.lst? (i used
          > CAMPAIGN:Forgotten Realms, just ussed the shorter earilier in this message)

          Both ways are correct. However, I'd use the CAMPAIGN: tag in the CLASS.LST and other lst files only if necessary (which occurs only
          when you want to have two things of the same name function differently in two different campaigns. e.g. the CAMPAIGN definition for GreyHawk and ForgottenRealsm I currently have (and will release tonight if all goes well):
          CAMPAIGN:GreyHawk
          RACE:Human,Dwarf,Elf,Gnome,Halfling
          DOMAIN:Air,Animal,Chaos,Death,Destruction,Earth,Evil,Fire,Good,Healing,Knowledge,Law,Luck,Magic,Plant,Protection,Strength,Sun,Time,Travel,Trickery,War,Water
          CAMPAIGN:ForgottenRealms
          RACE:Shield Dwarf,Moon Elf,Rock Gnome,Lightfoot Halfling,Sun Elf,Gold Dwarf,Wild Elf,Wood Elf,Strongheart Halfling
          DOMAIN:Air,Animal,Cavern,Chaos,Charm,Craft,Death,Destruction,Drow,Dwarf,Earth,Elf,Evil,Family,Fate,Fire,Gnome,Good,Halfling,Healing,Illusion,Knowledge,Law,Luck,Magic,Metal,Moon,Nobility,Ocean,Planning,Plant,Portal,Protection,Renewal,Retribution,Rune,Scalykind,Spell,Storms,Strength,Suffering,Sun,Time,Trade,Travel,Trickery,War,Water

          In the race.lst file I have a CAMPAIGN:GreyHawk tag on that Half-Elf that I've been using, and I added another Half-Elf with a CAMPAIGN:ForgottenRealms tag on the one you sent me. Same for the Half-Orc - none of the other races use the CAMPAIGN tag. You'll notice that neither Half-Elf or Half-Orc are in the campaign.lst file snippet above since they use the CAMPAIGN tag in the race.lst file.

          > if i get scanned copys with the dragon prestige class's will you put them in? i
          > hate editing the class.lst file, bad enough i screw up the other ones.

          I suppose I could, but I guess I'd rather that maybe you post the requirements in text format here and ask that some kind soul make the appropriate changes to the class.lst file. There's usually just a little section on the pre-requisites, and it should be easy
          enough to determine what their saves are, special abilities and spells. I'd rather stick to coding as much as possible so I can focus on adding functionality and let you all help me out by adding to the lst files. I will be creating the classskill.lst file and classspell.lst files soon, which will make it easier to add classes. In the meantime, go ahead and put the description of the classes in the Files section (maybe create a Folder called Proposed Classes). As people convert them they can put the files they modified in a Converted Classes folder. I'll check them out there and make sure they work before folding them into my releases. How does that sound? Anyone feel up to converting Dragon prestige classes?

          > the sw feats are not done, i skipped a few to try and see the functionality.

          Ok - I'll wait on the SW stuff until you're done.

          > also the classes have some other things. also i still havent been told how were
          > doing forse sensitive

          Force Sensitive is the Feat you need in order to multi-class,
          right? Does that mean you can't multi-class at all before you
          take that Feat, or you just can't take certain classes? And are
          these other classes ones you can start out with, but can't
          add if you start out as another class until you have this Feat?
          If so, that's an interesting mechanism and I can certainly add
          that, but PCGen can't do that currently.

          > and thought of something else. if i start at first level
          > as any of the force classses iget it for free. if i have ranks in any other
          > classes and add a force class i have to purchase earlier(prerequisite)the force
          > sensitive feat.

          Yeah - in 3E if you purchase a Feat or Skill that you get later
          due to adding a class, you don't get to re-spend those points,
          so you kind of lose out.

          >also all the force skills (which have not been put in yet)
          > need the feat to be used(prereq) and sometimes other feats also (most of the
          > time gained through level progression, ie alter is free at 2nd, control at 4th)
          > some of the skills are class skill at higher levels (easy to do).

          I know I had thought about letting classes define classskills
          beyond when you initially add the class (like at level 4 or whatever), but I don't remember if I added that. If I haven't
          that's easy to do.

          > also there
          > are some feats (Lightsaber defense) adds 2 to def.

          Does it add to defense always, or only when you have an appropriate weapon in hand? I can certainly add this functionality.

          >i did not bring my book,
          > cause i was going to put nothing but clases is but i cant get them to work.

          I'll create some folders :
          1. Proposed LST File items - here you can put files describing something you'd like to see done in a lst file (like Prestige classes from Dragon)
          2. Converted LST file items - here kind souls can put their conversions of files from #1
          3. LST file problems - if people are having troubles with lst files they can post them here so others can help.

          I'll keep an eye on folders #2 and #3 for things I can add to my lst files for release, and to see if I can help with any problems (which may be due to the fact that PCGen simply can't do something the class or whatever requires yet).

          -Bryan

        • mocha@mcs.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 9, 2001
            How annoying - I'm using OmniWeb to post and it took out all the
            line-feeds, so the lines came out really long (at least they
            look that way in my browser). the RACE: DOMAIN: and CAMPAIGN: tags in the CAMPAIGN.LST file should all be on different lines. In my browser it didn't look that way.
            Do html tags work in these <b>posts</b>?

            -Bryan
          • David Cortijo
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 9, 2001
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 9, 2001
                > > As people convert them they can put the files they modified in a
                Converted
                > Classes folder. I'll check them out there and make >sure they work
                before
                > folding them into my releases. How does that sound? Anyone feel up to
                > converting Dragon prestige >classes?
                >
                > I had originally volunteered to convert those prestige classes. The
                only
                > problem is, many of the special abilities that the classes provide
                are not
                > really supported on the code-side (or if they are, I have no idea
                how to put
                > it into a class.lst file). In fact, just about every one of them
                has some
                > sort of quirk that isn't supported - I can run off a quick list of
                things
                > that really should be supported codeside (including the Dragon
                magazine that
                > supplied the prestige class) and are holding up the creation of LST
                entries
                > for the classes (now that other things are really moving too)

                Yeah - I'd like to eventually be able to support all prestige classes.
                As more classes come out, so will more quirks, and every one of them
                will require code changes. No rest for the weary! ;)

                [stuff snipped]
                > suggestions:
                > A Barbarian with a 20 Strength (i.e. not weighted down) wearing
                > Breastplate (Medium Armor) has a move of 40. This is incorrect -
                his speed
                > should be reduced to 20 (like everyone else) and then get +10 to his
                move
                > (for a total speed of 30).

                Ah - you are correct. That will be added to my list.

                > I was trying to add skills using the "Max Rank" button - it
                took the
                > correct number of skill points away during purchase, but only
                granted me one
                > rank each time....

                Hm, I thought I had that working. I must have just broken that with
                my campaign changes (which were pretty invasive).

                > The Loremaster is supposed to be able to choose what
                spellcasting
                > class her "+1 caster level" ability applies to at each level -
                currently,
                > the program forces a choice at Lor 1 and does not allow any change.

                Really? I wondered about that - the wording seemed a bit vague.
                This can be done, so I'll add it to my list.

                > The Expert class should, preferably, make you pick the
                non-exclusive
                > skills before the ANY skills - that way, you don't accidently pick a
                > non-exclusive skill with an ANY slot and kick yourself for it later.

                Yeah - it needs to be more clear that only your first two picks can
                be among exclusive skills.

                > The deity.lst file has a BIG problem - currently, it only
                allows you
                > to pick deities that match your alignment exactly. According to 3E
                rules,
                > you can pick a deity that varies one step from your own. So, while
                Corellon
                > is a CG deity, his followers can be CG, CN, or NG. The current
                deity.lst
                > file is far too restrictive and, no offense, incorrect. I would be
                willing
                > to submit a correction, but I don't have the LGG to do so.

                This would simply require a change to the deity.lst file and wouldn't
                require a code change. That makes sense because otherwise it sure
                seemed like clerics were really restricted on what deity they could
                pick.

                > Along the same lines, I don't know if it is the domains that
                should
                > have race restrictions, per se, but the deities themselves. At the same
                > time, half-breeds (half-elves and half-orcs) are able to worship the
                racial
                > deities of their non-human parentage (that's my understanding of the
                > statement "Elves, half-elves, and bards worship him" (under his
                decription,
                > page 90 of the PHB)). That would - in theory at least - give them
                access to
                > the "racial" domains - nothing

                PCGen allows for racial restrictions at both the deity and domain
                level. I think the racial domains (Halfling, Elven, etc.) could
                have the racial restriction removed. If there are deity restrictions,
                it could specify RACE:Elf,Half-Elf in the deity.lst file.

                > To whomever is doing the FR domain/deity lists: the latest
                PDF file
                > actually makes it possible to get the domains for all the FR deities
                > (including the evil ones). Since each domain lists the deities who
                grant
                > it, you can just look up domain by domain to extrapolate the list
                (it may
                > take a bit of legwork, but it saves you waiting five more months for the
                > book's release).
                >
                > Rename the "Default" spellbook to "Known Spells." Makes it's
                > function - and the purpose for it's existence - much clearer.

                Heh - you're right. That makes a lot more sense!

                Also, if
                > you're going to make the the CSHEET print spell lists, will it still
                work
                > for classes like the cleric (who have all the spells in their
                default books
                > automatically and the prog won't let them add to the Default book)?
                If not,
                > the feature request below (#1) should make it easier to add spells
                to the
                > list.

                You can specify printing out the Default spellbook using the SPELLMEM
                tag by giving it a booknumber of -1. This way you can print out all
                the spells the spellcaster knows.

                > A couple of cool (in my opinion) feature requests:
                > 1) The ability to select multiple spells in the left hand side
                of the
                > Spells tab before clicking the arrow to add to your spellbook.

                Makes sense and an easy add.

                > 2) A checkbox that stops you from getting charged for items.
                Saves me
                > having to type in more money 50 times.

                Should I add a "Shoplifter" checkbox? ;) Another good suggestion.

                > 3) A "random character" button on the Main tab - randomly selects
                > race/class/alignment, generates ability scores, possibly equipment and
                > spellbooks too - I realize that's probably gonna be a biggie, especially
                > with multi-class character-types, but it's an idea once the rest of the
                > program is working and stable and the campaigns out there are added in.

                Heh - that would be a biggie! It doesn't seem like I'll ever finish
                everything I want PCGen to do, so this feature may be a long time
                in coming! But it would be nice!

                > I think that's it for now - as long as this email is...

                At least you kept it under 30! That seems to be the bar by which
                all of us are judged. (Right, John?) ;)

                -Bryan