Re: Can not print

  • senseileroof
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 4, 2011
      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "erik" <neferphras@...> wrote:

      > My wife is using window vista..... regardless of what she does she can not get a character to export and print.. what are we doing wrong??

      Are you using 5.17.7? If that's the case, I think we can safely say it's a program issue since mine doesn't print (or save) either.
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 4, 2011

        I use 5.17.7, I export, and save frequently. I'm one of the front running bug finders. I don't use
        Print as I prefer the PDF, but the code hasn't change.

        The issues we've seen have to deal with is either the newer Java 7, and OpenJDK. Or Windows
        Permission issues.

        Cheers,

        On 11/4/2011 7:55 AM, senseileroof wrote:
        > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "erik" <neferphras@...> wrote:
        >> My wife is using window vista..... regardless of what she does she can not get a character to export and print.. what are we doing wrong??
        >>
        > Are you using 5.17.7? If that's the case, I think we can safely say it's a program issue since mine doesn't print (or save) either.

        > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

        > Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
        > Data 2nd, Docs Tamarin, OS Lemur
        > Unique Title "The Torturer of PCGen"

      • senseileroof
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 4, 2011

          > I use 5.17.7, I export, and save frequently. I'm one of the front running bug finders. I don't use
          > Print as I prefer the PDF, but the code hasn't change.
          >
          > The issues we've seen have to deal with is either the newer Java 7, and OpenJDK. Or Windows
          > Permission issues.
          >
          > Cheers,

          I can see a case for it maybe being OpenJDK, but I haven't touched Java 7 yet, and I should already have admin privileges for everything that could possibly need it. Load, save, and print do literally nothing for me, not even a dialog box with an error.
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 4, 2011
            Well, then let's solve the issues at hand:

            Are you using Sun Java 6 (1.6)?
            Are you installing to any place other than the default Program Files?

            On 11/4/2011 11:24 AM, senseileroof wrote:
            >> Hi,
            >>
            >> I use 5.17.7, I export, and save frequently. I'm one of the front running bug finders. I don't use
            >> Print as I prefer the PDF, but the code hasn't change.
            >>
            >> The issues we've seen have to deal with is either the newer Java 7, and OpenJDK. Or Windows
            >> Permission issues.
            >>
            >> Cheers,
            >>

            > I can see a case for it maybe being OpenJDK, but I haven't touched Java 7 yet, and I should already have admin privileges for everything that could possibly need it. Load, save, and print do literally nothing for me, not even a dialog box with an error.

            > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

            > Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
            > Data 2nd, Docs Tamarin, OS Lemur
            > Unique Title "The Torturer of PCGen"

          • David R. Bender
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 4, 2011
              Yea, me too. I export to html since I have my laptop at the table, but I
              also print for my guys so it all works here...

              -- david
              Papa.DRB

              My better half and me (jpg)

              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 5, 2011

                > Well, then let's solve the issues at hand:
                >
                > Are you using Sun Java 6 (1.6)?
                > Are you installing to any place other than the default Program Files?

                6.29 and no.
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 5, 2011
                  Try installing it to c:/pcgen

                  See if that changes anything.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 5, 2011

                    > Try installing it to c:/pcgen
                    >
                    > See if that changes anything.

                    Something weird's happened. I went back to 5.16.4 to try making a character; it saved fine but trying to print caused an error about table-something needing to be a child of one thing instead of another. So I closed 5.16.4 and tried 5.17.7. Opening and saving work, and printing causes the same error. It even happens with 5.17.8.

                    What is the .fo extension for anyway?
                  • senseileroof
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 5, 2011
                      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "senseileroof" <senseileroof@...> wrote:

                      > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Andrew <drew0500@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Try installing it to c:/pcgen
                      > >
                      > > See if that changes anything.
                      > >
                      > Something weird's happened. I went back to 5.16.4 to try making a character; it saved fine but trying to print caused an error about table-something needing to be a child of one thing instead of another. So I closed 5.16.4 and tried 5.17.7. Opening and saving work, and printing causes the same error. It even happens with 5.17.8.
                      >
                      > What is the .fo extension for anyway?

                      I forgot to mention -- I get the same error attempting to export to PDF as well.
                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 5, 2011

                        It's the export transformation file. Can you give the exact error?

                        On 11/5/2011 9:24 PM, senseileroof wrote:
                        >> Try installing it to c:/pcgen
                        >>
                        >> See if that changes anything.
                        >>
                        > Something weird's happened. I went back to 5.16.4 to try making a character; it saved fine but trying to print caused an error about table-something needing to be a child of one thing instead of another. So I closed 5.16.4 and tried 5.17.7. Opening and saving work, and printing causes the same error. It even happens with 5.17.8.
                        >
                        > What is the .fo extension for anyway?

                        > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

                        > Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
                        > Data 2nd, Docs Tamarin, OS Lemur
                        > Unique Title "The Torturer of PCGen"

                      • James Dempsey
                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 5, 2011

                          Could you upload the character to the need help with folder lease? We can then try it out and see if we can reproduce the issue.

                          Cheers,
                          James

                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 6, 2011

                            > It's the export transformation file. Can you give the exact error?

                            file:/C:/Users/Owner/AppData/Local/Temp/currentPC_7778575620948317842.fo:2931:34 A table row must be child of fo:table-body, fo:table-header or fo:table-footer, not fo:block
                          • senseileroof
                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 6, 2011

                              > Could you upload the character to the need help with folder lease? We can then try it out and see if we can reproduce the issue.
                              >
                              > Cheers,
                              > James
                              >

                              > On 06/11/2011, at 3:24 PM, "senseileroof" <senseileroof@...> wrote:

                              > >> Try installing it to c:/pcgen
                              > >>
                              > >> See if that changes anything.
                              > >>
                              > > Something weird's happened. I went back to 5.16.4 to try making a character; it saved fine but trying to print caused an error about table-something needing to be a child of one thing instead of another. So I closed 5.16.4 and tried 5.17.7. Opening and saving work, and printing causes the same error. It even happens with 5.17.8.
                              > >
                              > > What is the .fo extension for anyway?

                              Done.