Giving magic qualities to ordinary items

  • jon.leeke
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 2, 2011
      Hi folks!

      I've been trying to create a magic spyglass via PcGen in the inventory screen. When I create a custom item from a spyglass, no magic quality options appear on the left panel. How do I get them to show up?

      Thanks!

      Jon
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 3, 2011

        I believe an item must be masterwork to get enchanted with other qualities. Is that an option for
        you in this case? Otherwise, there are other methods to accomplish what you'd like:

        Customize item > SPROP and you can type in the quality you are giving the item.

        Cheers,

        On 11/2/2011 11:20 PM, jon.leeke wrote:
        > Hi folks!
        >
        > I've been trying to create a magic spyglass via PcGen in the inventory screen. When I create a custom item from a spyglass, no magic quality options appear on the left panel. How do I get them to show up?
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Jon

        > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

        > Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
        > Data 2nd, Docs Tamarin, OS Lemur
        > Unique Title "The Torturer of PCGen"

      • Andrew Wilson
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 3, 2011
          They only show up on items that you're expected to add them to. If you add
          the type
          amulet to the spyglass and make it out of any of the materials that are
          listed, that will
          give you the option of adding the other mods. You have to add the special
          material
          to get rid of the mundane type. After adding the amulet type you can make
          it out of
          steel and then remove the steel, the ability to add mods hangs around
          (unless you
          remove the amulet type).

          Of course you could just start with an amulet and change it's name and
          price to
          be whatever you want — spiffy spyglass 15000 gp for instance.

          The equipment mods are set up to allow themselves to be added to equipment
          with an appropriate type. To be honest I'm surprised that these aren't
          keyed to
          also work of the wondrous type, since that's essentially what you're
          creating
          a wondrous spyglass. But there you go, as far as I can see this is the
          easiest
          way to get what you want to work.

          andrew

          On 3 November 2011 06:20, jon.leeke <liopleuridon@...> wrote:

          > Hi folks!
          >
          > I've been trying to create a magic spyglass via PcGen in the inventory
          > screen. When I create a custom item from a spyglass, no magic quality
          > options appear on the left panel. How do I get them to show up?
          >
          > Thanks!
          >
          > Jon

          > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/
          > PCGen's Online Docs:
          > PCGen's Backup Autobuilds and Docs:
          >
          > PCGen List File Help:

        • Jon Leeke
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 4, 2011
            Thank you, that worked well! Is there any way to apply a bonus to a
            particular type of save (in this case, the item gives +2 to Will
            saves)? I note that the saving throw bonuses only seem to apply across
            the board.

            Regards,

            Jon

            On 11/3/2011 2:54 PM, Andrew Wilson wrote:

            > They only show up on items that you're expected to add them to. If you add
            > the type
            > amulet to the spyglass and make it out of any of the materials that are
            > listed, that will
            > give you the option of adding the other mods. You have to add the special
            > material
            > to get rid of the mundane type. After adding the amulet type you can make
            > it out of
            > steel and then remove the steel, the ability to add mods hangs around
            > (unless you
            > remove the amulet type).
            >
            > Of course you could just start with an amulet and change it's name and
            > price to
            > be whatever you want — spiffy spyglass 15000 gp for instance.
            >
            > The equipment mods are set up to allow themselves to be added to equipment
            > with an appropriate type. To be honest I'm surprised that these aren't
            > keyed to
            > also work of the wondrous type, since that's essentially what you're
            > creating
            > a wondrous spyglass. But there you go, as far as I can see this is the
            > easiest
            > way to get what you want to work.
            >
            > andrew
            >
            > On 3 November 2011 06:20, jon.leeke <liopleuridon@...
            > <mailto:liopleuridon%40gmail.com>> wrote:
            >
            > > Hi folks!
            > >
            > > I've been trying to create a magic spyglass via PcGen in the inventory
            > > screen. When I create a custom item from a spyglass, no magic quality
            > > options appear on the left panel. How do I get them to show up?
            > >
            > > Thanks!
            > >
            > > Jon
            > >

            > > ------------------------------------
            > >
            > > Related Lists
            > > PCGen's Online Docs:
            > > http://pcgen-test.org/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/index.html
            > > PCGen's Backup Autobuilds and Docs:
            > > http://pcgen.akozakis.id.au/autobuilds/download.html
            > >
            > > PCGen List File Help:
            > >
            > > PCGen Experimental:
            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Andrew Wilson
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 4, 2011
              Yes, that is relatively easy. Not trivial, but not rocket science either.

              Now, the slightly painful part: you can't do it with the files you
              currently have,
              you're going to have to edit some files by hand.

              Don't panic, it's not that hard really.

              Point one, use a text editor, not a word processor. If you're on windows
              you can use wither notepad, or wordpad, both of which are built in.

              You need to make your own custom list file and a campaign file to
              let the system load it. There is an example set that comes with the
              program. Look in the data folder, and copy the
              data\homebrew\my_dataset folder to something else. I generally
              use my initials. So I'd copy it to data\homebrew\*arw*_dataset
              for you that'd be data\homebrew\*jl*_dataset. Call it whatever
              you like just change the my to something else so that it won't
              be overwritten.

              Now in your copied folder look for the how_to_use_this.txt
              file which has lots of useful information that I will not reproduce here.

              The file you're going to be editing is the my_equipmods.lst file
              (but you should probably change its name to jl_equipmods.lst or
              whatever you decided to use).

              Step 2:
              Find the main data for the game mode that you're using — I'll
              tell you about the pathfinder mode, because that's the one I use
              these days. The file is in data\alpha\paizo\pathfinder_rpg\core_rulebook
              it's called pfcr_equipmods_enhancing.lst

              Open that file and look for the line that starts |Save Bonus (Resistance)

              Step 3:
              Copy that line and paste it into the jl_equipmods.lst file that you made
              earlier.

              Step 4:
              change the name of the mod
              |Save Bonus (Resistance) — becomes |Will Save Bonus (Resistance)

              Step 5:
              change the key
              KEY:BNS_SAV_RES to KEY:BNS_SAV_RES_WILL
              you're doing this because the system needs each object's key to
              be unique.

              Step 6:
              Fix how much it costs to add this. The cost of a Resistance bonus is
              bonus squared times 1000 gp. Since this is just a will save it'll probably
              be cheaper, change the 1000 to whatever you need.

              Step 7:
              change the bonus
              BONUS:CHECKS|Fortitude,Reflex,Will|%CHOICE|TYPE=Resistance
              becomes
              BONUS:CHECKS|Will|%CHOICE|TYPE=Resistance
              i.e. get rid of Fortitude and reflex.

              Step 8:
              Change the blurb that gets printed with the item:
              SPROP:Resistance bonus to all saving throws of %CHOICE
              becomes
              SPROP:Resistance bonus to Will saves of %CHOICE

              Step 9:
              Actually there is no step 9, save the file and you're done. Well ok
              you need to actually load your custom data to get this to show up,
              but that should be it.

              Hope that helps.

              andrew

            • Jon Leeke
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 4, 2011
                Thank you so much Andrew! My first .lst file alteration. Cool!

                Jon