Re: [pcgen] [James] Custom Feats not saving

  • Jon Leeke
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 30, 2011
      Andrew and James and all,

      I first ran as Administrator on my desktop with no positive effect.
      There was also no errors during the feat creation.

      Then I did the following to be sure it wasn't my sources, drivers,
      hardware, or software configuration:

      1) Installed 5.17.8 to a Windows 7 64-bit laptop using the previously
      established method of changing install folder and pointing all locations
      in preferences away from the "User" folder. Installation done as
      Administrator.
      2) Ran as Administrator, installing only the basic Pathfinder sets Core
      Rulebook, Bestiary, and Advanced PG that came with the pcgen program.
      3) Duplicated error watching on the debug console, nothing on the console.

      Here is the console data after running the program and loading the datasets:

      - listing properties --
      java.runtime.name=Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment
      sun.boot.library.path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin
      java.vm.version=20.1-b02
      java.vm.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
      java.vendor.url=http://java.sun.com/
      path.separator=;
      java.vm.name=Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
      file.encoding.pkg=sun.io
      java.util.logging.config.file=C:\Pcgen\PCGen5178\logging.properties
      user.country=US
      sun.java.launcher=SUN_STANDARD
      sun.os.patch.level=Service Pack 1
      java.vm.specification.name=Java Virtual Machine Specification
      user.dir=C:\Pcgen\PCGen5178
      java.runtime.version=1.6.0_26-b03
      java.awt.graphicsenv=sun.awt.Win32GraphicsEnvironment
      java.endorsed.dirs=C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\lib\...
      os.arch=x86
      java.io.tmpdir=C:\Users\CTHULH~1\AppData\Local\Temp\
      line.separator=

      java.vm.specification.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
      user.variant=
      os.name=Windows 7
      sun.jnu.encoding=Cp1252
      java.library.path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin;...
      java.specification.name=Java Platform API Specification
      java.class.version=50.0
      sun.management.compiler=HotSpot Client Compiler
      os.version=6.1
      user.home=C:\Users\Cthulhuspawn
      user.timezone=America/New_York
      java.awt.printerjob=sun.awt.windows.WPrinterJob
      file.encoding=Cp1252
      java.specification.version=1.6
      user.name=Cthulhuspawn
      java.class.path=C:\Pcgen\PCGen5178\pcgen.jar
      java.vm.specification.version=1.0
      sun.arch.data.model=32
      java.home=C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6
      sun.java.command=C:\Pcgen\PCGen5178\pcgen.jar
      java.specification.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
      user.language=en
      awt.toolkit=sun.awt.windows.WToolkit
      java.vm.info=mixed mode, sharing
      java.version=1.6.0_26
      java.ext.dirs=C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\lib\...
      sun.boot.class.path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\lib\...
      java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
      file.separator=\
      java.vendor.url.bug=http://java.sun.com/cgi-bin/bugreport...
      sun.cpu.endian=little
      sun.io.unicode.encoding=UnicodeLittle
      sun.desktop=windows
      sun.cpu.isalist=pentium_pro+mmx pentium_pro pentium+m...
      Memory: 189,748Kb total, 94,376.648Kb free, 506,816Kb max.

      In case it matters that is the same readout I get on every boot, but
      perhaps you'll see something in there.

      It seems that I am slightly up the creek. I will run more testing on
      other computers; let me know if you have more ideas, and again; thanks!

      Jon

      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 1, 2011
        Hi folks,

        I have now installed the program on 2 other Windows 7 64 bit machines
        using the C:/PcGen directories. Each has a different antivirus and
        program/driver set. The error occurs on all 4 machines; feats just
        don't save (equipment and spells do with no problem). If there's any
        other data I can provide to help the monkeys please let me know. And,
        of course, any suggestions are welcome.

        I guess I need to learn how to make my own datasets to add a few custom
        feats from time to time (it's really just 3 or 4). Maybe this is a good
        thing; if I learn to code I can help the community! Can you point me to
        the easiest literature to learn how to do this, and offer any advice?

        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 1, 2011
          Jon,

          The Docs that come with the program has beginning information and classes.

          The wiki houses some useful information wiki.pcgen.org, I held a little tutorial that got posted on
          there.

          When it comes to actual coding, a text editor, patience and a willingness to learn is pretty much
          all you need. In the footer of this post is a link to the Yahoo Group for LST Editing (PCGen List
          File Help). Over there we have monkeys that answer LST coding specific questions.

          Cheers,

          Andrew Maitland

        • Martijn Verburg
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 1, 2011
            I think James or one of the coders will have to screen share with you to see
            what the problem is. - K