Re: [pcgen] [James] Custom Feats not saving

  • James Dempsey
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 30, 2011

      I can make two suggestions.

      Try starting pcgen by using the run as administrator option. If it is a
      permission issue that should solve it.

      If not, open the console (menu is Debug > Console) before you create the
      test feat and see if you get any output there.

      Cheers,
      James.

      On 1/10/2011 9:32 AM Jon Leeke wrote

    • Jon Leeke
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 30, 2011
        Andrew and James and all,

        I first ran as Administrator on my desktop with no positive effect.
        There was also no errors during the feat creation.

        Then I did the following to be sure it wasn't my sources, drivers,
        hardware, or software configuration:

        1) Installed 5.17.8 to a Windows 7 64-bit laptop using the previously
        established method of changing install folder and pointing all locations
        in preferences away from the "User" folder. Installation done as
        Administrator.
        2) Ran as Administrator, installing only the basic Pathfinder sets Core
        Rulebook, Bestiary, and Advanced PG that came with the pcgen program.
        3) Duplicated error watching on the debug console, nothing on the console.

        Here is the console data after running the program and loading the datasets:

        - listing properties --
        java.runtime.name=Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment
        sun.boot.library.path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin
        java.vm.version=20.1-b02
        java.vm.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
        java.vendor.url=http://java.sun.com/
        path.separator=;
        java.vm.name=Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
        file.encoding.pkg=sun.io
        java.util.logging.config.file=C:\Pcgen\PCGen5178\logging.properties
        user.country=US
        sun.java.launcher=SUN_STANDARD
        sun.os.patch.level=Service Pack 1
        java.vm.specification.name=Java Virtual Machine Specification
        user.dir=C:\Pcgen\PCGen5178
        java.runtime.version=1.6.0_26-b03
        java.awt.graphicsenv=sun.awt.Win32GraphicsEnvironment
        java.endorsed.dirs=C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\lib\...
        os.arch=x86
        java.io.tmpdir=C:\Users\CTHULH~1\AppData\Local\Temp\
        line.separator=

        java.vm.specification.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
        user.variant=
        os.name=Windows 7
        sun.jnu.encoding=Cp1252
        java.library.path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin;...
        java.specification.name=Java Platform API Specification
        java.class.version=50.0
        sun.management.compiler=HotSpot Client Compiler
        os.version=6.1
        user.home=C:\Users\Cthulhuspawn
        user.timezone=America/New_York
        java.awt.printerjob=sun.awt.windows.WPrinterJob
        file.encoding=Cp1252
        java.specification.version=1.6
        user.name=Cthulhuspawn
        java.class.path=C:\Pcgen\PCGen5178\pcgen.jar
        java.vm.specification.version=1.0
        sun.arch.data.model=32
        java.home=C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6
        sun.java.command=C:\Pcgen\PCGen5178\pcgen.jar
        java.specification.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
        user.language=en
        awt.toolkit=sun.awt.windows.WToolkit
        java.vm.info=mixed mode, sharing
        java.version=1.6.0_26
        java.ext.dirs=C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\lib\...
        sun.boot.class.path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\lib\...
        java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
        file.separator=\
        java.vendor.url.bug=http://java.sun.com/cgi-bin/bugreport...
        sun.cpu.endian=little
        sun.io.unicode.encoding=UnicodeLittle
        sun.desktop=windows
        sun.cpu.isalist=pentium_pro+mmx pentium_pro pentium+m...
        Memory: 189,748Kb total, 94,376.648Kb free, 506,816Kb max.

        In case it matters that is the same readout I get on every boot, but
        perhaps you'll see something in there.

        It seems that I am slightly up the creek. I will run more testing on
        other computers; let me know if you have more ideas, and again; thanks!

        Jon

        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 1, 2011
          Hi folks,

          I have now installed the program on 2 other Windows 7 64 bit machines
          using the C:/PcGen directories. Each has a different antivirus and
          program/driver set. The error occurs on all 4 machines; feats just
          don't save (equipment and spells do with no problem). If there's any
          other data I can provide to help the monkeys please let me know. And,
          of course, any suggestions are welcome.

          I guess I need to learn how to make my own datasets to add a few custom
          feats from time to time (it's really just 3 or 4). Maybe this is a good
          thing; if I learn to code I can help the community! Can you point me to
          the easiest literature to learn how to do this, and offer any advice?

          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 1, 2011
            Jon,

            The Docs that come with the program has beginning information and classes.

            The wiki houses some useful information wiki.pcgen.org, I held a little tutorial that got posted on
            there.

            When it comes to actual coding, a text editor, patience and a willingness to learn is pretty much
            all you need. In the footer of this post is a link to the Yahoo Group for LST Editing (PCGen List
            File Help). Over there we have monkeys that answer LST coding specific questions.

            Cheers,

            Andrew Maitland

          • Martijn Verburg
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 1, 2011
              I think James or one of the coders will have to screen share with you to see
              what the problem is. - K