Re: [pcgen] [James] Custom Feats not saving

    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 30, 2011
      Okay, wow, changing it didn't help, that is a first.

      Can you open the preferences and see where the "custom" items are being saved, just make sure it's
      still not pointing to one of those protected folders.

      Beyond that simple check, I'm going to pass you to a coder to analyze the code see if there is
      something else going on that needs a tweak.

      James, if you have a spare moment can you take a moment and see what is going on with Jon?
      Jon is using v5.17.8, Win 7 machine. I've had him try installing to another folder and that hasn't
      fixed anything. I've asked him to double check the preferences to see if it's trying to access the
      protected folder, beyond that I'm out of ideas.

      Jon - As an alternative to using the customizer to make your feats, you can always code up your own
      Lst files (i.e. data set) and that would save you the headache of losing them. If you want
      assistance in learning how to do that then I'd be happy to assist you.

      Cheers,

    • Jon Leeke
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 30, 2011
        So, here's what I've done:

        1) Installed PcGen 5.17.8 to C:/PcGen
        2) Moved all the .pcgen files from the C:/Users directory to C:/PcGen
        (characters, customsources, vendordata, filter.ini, options.ini)
        3) Changed the "Location" under preferences to aim at the C:/PcGen
        folder files, including options.ini. At this time, no locations are
        aimed at the C:/Users directory.
        4) Loaded Pathfinder. Created a test feat with .lst editor and noted
        that it appears in the editor afterwards.
        5) Closed PcGen.
        6) Sacrified 2 goblins (scrawny ones) to Lamashtu.
        7) Opened PcGen and checked .lst editor. Test feat no longer appears.

        What could this be? Did I not sacrifice enough goblins, or perhaps they
        were too scrawny?

        I do note that the copied files from C:/users are still "read-only" and
        refuse to be reclassified. I will try creating brand new directories
        that are not read-only and get back to you. In the meantime, any more
        ideas are appreciated.

        Thanks for all your help. This is a great community of peeps!

        Jon

      • James Dempsey
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 30, 2011
          Hi,

          I can make two suggestions.

          Try starting pcgen by using the run as administrator option. If it is a
          permission issue that should solve it.

          If not, open the console (menu is Debug > Console) before you create the
          test feat and see if you get any output there.

          Cheers,
          James.

          On 1/10/2011 9:32 AM Jon Leeke wrote

          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 30, 2011
            Andrew and James and all,

            I first ran as Administrator on my desktop with no positive effect.
            There was also no errors during the feat creation.

            Then I did the following to be sure it wasn't my sources, drivers,
            hardware, or software configuration:

            1) Installed 5.17.8 to a Windows 7 64-bit laptop using the previously
            established method of changing install folder and pointing all locations
            in preferences away from the "User" folder. Installation done as
            Administrator.
            2) Ran as Administrator, installing only the basic Pathfinder sets Core
            Rulebook, Bestiary, and Advanced PG that came with the pcgen program.
            3) Duplicated error watching on the debug console, nothing on the console.

            Here is the console data after running the program and loading the datasets:

            - listing properties --
            java.runtime.name=Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment
            sun.boot.library.path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin
            java.vm.version=20.1-b02
            java.vm.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
            java.vendor.url=http://java.sun.com/
            path.separator=;
            java.vm.name=Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
            file.encoding.pkg=sun.io
            java.util.logging.config.file=C:\Pcgen\PCGen5178\logging.properties
            user.country=US
            sun.java.launcher=SUN_STANDARD
            sun.os.patch.level=Service Pack 1
            java.vm.specification.name=Java Virtual Machine Specification
            user.dir=C:\Pcgen\PCGen5178
            java.runtime.version=1.6.0_26-b03
            java.awt.graphicsenv=sun.awt.Win32GraphicsEnvironment
            java.endorsed.dirs=C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\lib\...
            os.arch=x86
            java.io.tmpdir=C:\Users\CTHULH~1\AppData\Local\Temp\
            line.separator=

            java.vm.specification.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
            user.variant=
            os.name=Windows 7
            sun.jnu.encoding=Cp1252
            java.library.path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin;...
            java.specification.name=Java Platform API Specification
            java.class.version=50.0
            sun.management.compiler=HotSpot Client Compiler
            os.version=6.1
            user.home=C:\Users\Cthulhuspawn
            user.timezone=America/New_York
            java.awt.printerjob=sun.awt.windows.WPrinterJob
            file.encoding=Cp1252
            java.specification.version=1.6
            user.name=Cthulhuspawn
            java.class.path=C:\Pcgen\PCGen5178\pcgen.jar
            java.vm.specification.version=1.0
            sun.arch.data.model=32
            java.home=C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6
            sun.java.command=C:\Pcgen\PCGen5178\pcgen.jar
            java.specification.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
            user.language=en
            awt.toolkit=sun.awt.windows.WToolkit
            java.vm.info=mixed mode, sharing
            java.version=1.6.0_26
            java.ext.dirs=C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\lib\...
            sun.boot.class.path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\lib\...
            java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
            file.separator=\
            java.vendor.url.bug=http://java.sun.com/cgi-bin/bugreport...
            sun.cpu.endian=little
            sun.io.unicode.encoding=UnicodeLittle
            sun.desktop=windows
            sun.cpu.isalist=pentium_pro+mmx pentium_pro pentium+m...
            Memory: 189,748Kb total, 94,376.648Kb free, 506,816Kb max.

            In case it matters that is the same readout I get on every boot, but
            perhaps you'll see something in there.

            It seems that I am slightly up the creek. I will run more testing on
            other computers; let me know if you have more ideas, and again; thanks!

            Jon

            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 1, 2011
              Hi folks,

              I have now installed the program on 2 other Windows 7 64 bit machines
              using the C:/PcGen directories. Each has a different antivirus and
              program/driver set. The error occurs on all 4 machines; feats just
              don't save (equipment and spells do with no problem). If there's any
              other data I can provide to help the monkeys please let me know. And,
              of course, any suggestions are welcome.

              I guess I need to learn how to make my own datasets to add a few custom
              feats from time to time (it's really just 3 or 4). Maybe this is a good
              thing; if I learn to code I can help the community! Can you point me to
              the easiest literature to learn how to do this, and offer any advice?

              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 1, 2011
                Jon,

                The Docs that come with the program has beginning information and classes.

                The wiki houses some useful information wiki.pcgen.org, I held a little tutorial that got posted on
                there.

                When it comes to actual coding, a text editor, patience and a willingness to learn is pretty much
                all you need. In the footer of this post is a link to the Yahoo Group for LST Editing (PCGen List
                File Help). Over there we have monkeys that answer LST coding specific questions.

                Cheers,

                Andrew Maitland

              • Martijn Verburg
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 1, 2011
                  I think James or one of the coders will have to screen share with you to see
                  what the problem is. - K