Re: [pcgen] Customer Feats not saving

    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 29, 2011

      Install the program is say c:\pcgen and see if the results change. And yeah, this is a known issue
      in Windows Vista/7 machines. We've been working on changing the default install location to avoid
      this in the future.

      Cheers,

      On 9/29/2011 5:07 PM, Jon Leeke wrote:
      > I also excluded both folders from my antivirus and pcgen is still not
      > saving custom feats after the program is closed and reopened.
      >
      > On 9/29/2011 6:33 PM, Andrew wrote:
      >> Hi,
      >>
      >> Is it installed in the default location or is it installed in it's own
      >> location on the hard drive?
      >> The lack of saving sounds like you're installed in the default folder
      >> c:\program files which
      >> doesn't allow writing to files in there.
      >>
      >> On 9/29/2011 2:24 PM, jon.leeke wrote:
      >>> This is driving me nuts and I'd love some help. I'm using the 5.17.8
      >> version and whenever I create a customer Feat it seems to appear
      >> normally. Once I exit PcGen and run the program a second time, all the
      >> feats I made have disappeared! Is this a known bug, or is there
      >> something I'm not doing correctly?
      >>> Thanks very much all!
      >>>

      >>> ------------------------------------
      >>>
      >>> Related Lists
      >>> PCGen's Online Docs:
      >> http://pcgen-test.org/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/index.html
      >>> PCGen's Backup Autobuilds and Docs:
      >>> PCGen List File Help:
      >>>
      >>> PCGen Experimental:
      >>> Yahoo! Groups Links
      >>>

      >>> --
      >>> Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
      >>> Data 2nd, Docs Tamarin, OS Lemur

      > PCGen's Wiki: http://wiki.pcgen.org/

      > Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
      > Data 2nd, Docs Tamarin, OS Lemur
      > Unique Title "The Torturer of PCGen"

    • Jon Leeke
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 30, 2011
        Thanks for the help. I installed it in Program Files(X86)/PCGen and it
        still is not saving custom Feats. Is there a way to change the custom
        .lst file location (I did not see it in Preferences but may have missed
        it)?

        Jon

        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 30, 2011
          I tried installing it to C:/PcGen, bypassing the program file folder
          altogether, and feats are still not saving. Thanks for the advice, any
          other thoughts? Should I try an entirely different drive?

          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 30, 2011
            Okay, wow, changing it didn't help, that is a first.

            Can you open the preferences and see where the "custom" items are being saved, just make sure it's
            still not pointing to one of those protected folders.

            Beyond that simple check, I'm going to pass you to a coder to analyze the code see if there is
            something else going on that needs a tweak.

            James, if you have a spare moment can you take a moment and see what is going on with Jon?
            Jon is using v5.17.8, Win 7 machine. I've had him try installing to another folder and that hasn't
            fixed anything. I've asked him to double check the preferences to see if it's trying to access the
            protected folder, beyond that I'm out of ideas.

            Jon - As an alternative to using the customizer to make your feats, you can always code up your own
            Lst files (i.e. data set) and that would save you the headache of losing them. If you want
            assistance in learning how to do that then I'd be happy to assist you.

            Cheers,

            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 30, 2011
              So, here's what I've done:

              1) Installed PcGen 5.17.8 to C:/PcGen
              2) Moved all the .pcgen files from the C:/Users directory to C:/PcGen
              (characters, customsources, vendordata, filter.ini, options.ini)
              3) Changed the "Location" under preferences to aim at the C:/PcGen
              folder files, including options.ini. At this time, no locations are
              aimed at the C:/Users directory.
              4) Loaded Pathfinder. Created a test feat with .lst editor and noted
              that it appears in the editor afterwards.
              5) Closed PcGen.
              6) Sacrified 2 goblins (scrawny ones) to Lamashtu.
              7) Opened PcGen and checked .lst editor. Test feat no longer appears.

              What could this be? Did I not sacrifice enough goblins, or perhaps they
              were too scrawny?

              I do note that the copied files from C:/users are still "read-only" and
              refuse to be reclassified. I will try creating brand new directories
              that are not read-only and get back to you. In the meantime, any more
              ideas are appreciated.

              Thanks for all your help. This is a great community of peeps!

              Jon

            • James Dempsey
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 30, 2011

                I can make two suggestions.

                Try starting pcgen by using the run as administrator option. If it is a
                permission issue that should solve it.

                If not, open the console (menu is Debug > Console) before you create the
                test feat and see if you get any output there.

                Cheers,
                James.

                On 1/10/2011 9:32 AM Jon Leeke wrote

                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 30, 2011
                  Andrew and James and all,

                  I first ran as Administrator on my desktop with no positive effect.
                  There was also no errors during the feat creation.

                  Then I did the following to be sure it wasn't my sources, drivers,
                  hardware, or software configuration:

                  1) Installed 5.17.8 to a Windows 7 64-bit laptop using the previously
                  established method of changing install folder and pointing all locations
                  in preferences away from the "User" folder. Installation done as
                  Administrator.
                  2) Ran as Administrator, installing only the basic Pathfinder sets Core
                  Rulebook, Bestiary, and Advanced PG that came with the pcgen program.
                  3) Duplicated error watching on the debug console, nothing on the console.

                  Here is the console data after running the program and loading the datasets:

                  - listing properties --
                  java.runtime.name=Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment
                  sun.boot.library.path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin
                  java.vm.version=20.1-b02
                  java.vm.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
                  java.vendor.url=http://java.sun.com/
                  path.separator=;
                  java.vm.name=Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
                  file.encoding.pkg=sun.io
                  java.util.logging.config.file=C:\Pcgen\PCGen5178\logging.properties
                  user.country=US
                  sun.java.launcher=SUN_STANDARD
                  sun.os.patch.level=Service Pack 1
                  java.vm.specification.name=Java Virtual Machine Specification
                  user.dir=C:\Pcgen\PCGen5178
                  java.runtime.version=1.6.0_26-b03
                  java.awt.graphicsenv=sun.awt.Win32GraphicsEnvironment
                  java.endorsed.dirs=C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\lib\...
                  os.arch=x86
                  java.io.tmpdir=C:\Users\CTHULH~1\AppData\Local\Temp\
                  line.separator=

                  java.vm.specification.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
                  user.variant=
                  os.name=Windows 7
                  sun.jnu.encoding=Cp1252
                  java.library.path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin;...
                  java.specification.name=Java Platform API Specification
                  java.class.version=50.0
                  sun.management.compiler=HotSpot Client Compiler
                  os.version=6.1
                  user.home=C:\Users\Cthulhuspawn
                  user.timezone=America/New_York
                  java.awt.printerjob=sun.awt.windows.WPrinterJob
                  file.encoding=Cp1252
                  java.specification.version=1.6
                  user.name=Cthulhuspawn
                  java.class.path=C:\Pcgen\PCGen5178\pcgen.jar
                  java.vm.specification.version=1.0
                  sun.arch.data.model=32
                  java.home=C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6
                  sun.java.command=C:\Pcgen\PCGen5178\pcgen.jar
                  java.specification.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
                  user.language=en
                  awt.toolkit=sun.awt.windows.WToolkit
                  java.vm.info=mixed mode, sharing
                  java.version=1.6.0_26
                  java.ext.dirs=C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\lib\...
                  sun.boot.class.path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\lib\...
                  java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
                  file.separator=\
                  java.vendor.url.bug=http://java.sun.com/cgi-bin/bugreport...
                  sun.cpu.endian=little
                  sun.io.unicode.encoding=UnicodeLittle
                  sun.desktop=windows
                  sun.cpu.isalist=pentium_pro+mmx pentium_pro pentium+m...
                  Memory: 189,748Kb total, 94,376.648Kb free, 506,816Kb max.

                  In case it matters that is the same readout I get on every boot, but
                  perhaps you'll see something in there.

                  It seems that I am slightly up the creek. I will run more testing on
                  other computers; let me know if you have more ideas, and again; thanks!

                  Jon

                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 1, 2011
                    Hi folks,

                    I have now installed the program on 2 other Windows 7 64 bit machines
                    using the C:/PcGen directories. Each has a different antivirus and
                    program/driver set. The error occurs on all 4 machines; feats just
                    don't save (equipment and spells do with no problem). If there's any
                    other data I can provide to help the monkeys please let me know. And,
                    of course, any suggestions are welcome.

                    I guess I need to learn how to make my own datasets to add a few custom
                    feats from time to time (it's really just 3 or 4). Maybe this is a good
                    thing; if I learn to code I can help the community! Can you point me to
                    the easiest literature to learn how to do this, and offer any advice?

                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 1, 2011
                      Jon,

                      The Docs that come with the program has beginning information and classes.

                      The wiki houses some useful information wiki.pcgen.org, I held a little tutorial that got posted on
                      there.

                      When it comes to actual coding, a text editor, patience and a willingness to learn is pretty much
                      all you need. In the footer of this post is a link to the Yahoo Group for LST Editing (PCGen List
                      File Help). Over there we have monkeys that answer LST coding specific questions.

                      Cheers,

                      Andrew Maitland

                    • Martijn Verburg
                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 1, 2011
                        I think James or one of the coders will have to screen share with you to see
                        what the problem is. - K